The Student Room Group

Aeronautics/Astrophysics Work Experience

My friend and I are in the middle of sitting our AS exams and are thinking of studying anything to do with Aeronautical/Aerospace engineering or Astrophysics at university but it seems basically impossible to find any relevant work experience for these subjects around our area.

We live about 20 minutes away from Central London and I was wondering if there are any places people can suggest near us that would be good for experience, thanks :smile:
Anyone?
Reply 2
You wouldn't need or be expected to have work experience in Aeronautics or Astrophysics. Work experience is required for more vocational courses i.e Medicine, Law, Civil Engineering.
Reply 3
Are you sure? I thought you'd at least have to have something for personal statements and such?
Well it definitely would help I would think. I'd like to find any engineering in astrophysics/ aerospace or aeronautics eng.
I really doubt youd be able to find anything. All undergraduate students are struggling to find work experience in their subjects, and these students have some knowledge already where as youre still only in your AS year. Im not saying its impossible for you to find anything, but i think they may favor the undergrads.
Dont forget other skills like team work, interpersonal, sales etc are also good which you can get from any job, and is desired by engineering firms anyway.
Reply 6
BeccaLorna
My friend and I are in the middle of sitting our AS exams and are thinking of studying anything to do with Aeronautical/Aerospace engineering or Astrophysics at university but it seems basically impossible to find any relevant work experience for these subjects around our area.

We live about 20 minutes away from Central London and I was wondering if there are any places people can suggest near us that would be good for experience, thanks :smile:

It will be impossible for you to find work experience in the field, I'm afraid.
I've just finished my first year in Aerospace Engineering, and all the companies I spoke to (I even went to 3 different airfields) said that they weren't interested in taking someone who had only done 1 year at university! They said the minimum they take is someone with two years in university.
What I did after AS-levels was do as many taster courses as possible - many universities were opening their facilities for AS-level students, I got to use the wind tunnels at QMUL and interact hugely with the professors at three London universities. However, I applied for these positions (which take place in July & August) in March..
Take a look here and see if there are any left! Good luck.
You can get experience from just building models or planes, engines, radio controlled toys etc. As a hobby and There's loads on Amazon which you can later put on UCAS application to show universities how interested you are in the subject. There's also a aeronautical engineering course on the website edx starting on May 1st which is free.

Quick Reply

Latest