The Student Room Group

deloitte internship

Scroll to see replies

Reply 160
heart shaped box
Hopefully i'll have a chance to have a go at it before places are filled up. I saw on the website that my 2 preferred locations have already closed their apps :frown:

They sent me an email to say that they have got too many applicants at the moment.. Do you think it would be useful to phone them up again? I've been waiting for more than a month now :o:

And wow, 2 days of notice! :s-smilie:

How frustrating! Though obviously closing apps doesn't mean there's no hope, because the application process is so long.

Also, numbers-wise, I was told that there are 12 positions for consultancy in London, and I was about the 5th or 6th person recruited.

I got my AC after badgering. I emailed them a couple of times, and then emailed them notifying them that I was going to be out of the country for a month over Christmas. I think this focussed them, because the next day I was offered an AC. I imagine somebody dropped out, or something, and I was first in their mind because I'd contacted them.

I wouldn't email/phone them incessantly, but if it's been a couple of weeks since you last contacted them, it's worthwhile communicating in some way, even if it's just to ask how long they would estimate until you'll get one, or giving some dates that you can't do, which shows you're thinking about it (though wouldn't recommend if you can actually do those dates because then you might be shooting yourself in the foot :wink: )
Ongels
How frustrating! Though obviously closing apps doesn't mean there's no hope, because the application process is so long.

Also, numbers-wise, I was told that there are 12 positions for consultancy in London, and I was about the 5th or 6th person recruited.

I got my AC after badgering. I emailed them a couple of times, and then emailed them notifying them that I was going to be out of the country for a month over Christmas. I think this focussed them, because the next day I was offered an AC. I imagine somebody dropped out, or something, and I was first in their mind because I'd contacted them.

I wouldn't email/phone them incessantly, but if it's been a couple of weeks since you last contacted them, it's worthwhile communicating in some way, even if it's just to ask how long they would estimate until you'll get one, or giving some dates that you can't do, which shows you're thinking about it (though wouldn't recommend if you can actually do those dates because then you might be shooting yourself in the foot :wink: )

Yea..I phoned them and they said that realistically, I won't get the AC before next year. So annoying because half of january is taken up by exams and I've got travel plans for half of february! lol. I am sooo gutted I should have applied earlier. now I'm not sure if I should put my feb plans on hold. It's my last chance to get an internship in the big 4 as I failed the kpmg verbal test and the pwc first round interview :rolleyes:

haha sorry I'm ranting. meh. maybe I should start looking for alternative ways to spend next summer. Any ideas, taking into account the fact that I'm practically broke? :p: I'm just gutted because really wanted to do something interesting this summer, not just sit around :frown:
Reply 162
heart shaped box
Yea..I phoned them and they said that realistically, I won't get the AC before next year. So annoying because half of january is taken up by exams and I've got travel plans for half of february! lol. I am sooo gutted I should have applied earlier. now I'm not sure if I should put my feb plans on hold. It's my last chance to get an internship in the big 4 as I failed the kpmg verbal test and the pwc first round interview :rolleyes:

haha sorry I'm ranting. meh. maybe I should start looking for alternative ways to spend next summer. Any ideas, taking into account the fact that I'm practically broke? :p: I'm just gutted because really wanted to do something interesting this summer, not just sit around :frown:

One of my friends was terrified because they gave her an interview on the equivalent day an exam was on last year...luckily, it turns out they don't clash!

When did you apply? It seems so apparent to me that applying early makes a massive difference. And 'early' means just that, because as soon as term starts, everybody starts applications.

To be fair, you got further than me at PWC so logically that puts you in a good place! I got rejected at the application stage, which was really weird, but because you can't get feedback, I'll never know which exact part of my application they didn't like.

There are other summer placements still available outside of the big 4...I mean, are you set on consultancy? I knew that was what I wanted to do but I still applied to some marketing internships and the like. Alternatively, find an extra-curricular activity that will distract you in the summer...I'm going to be debating before Deloitte starts.

Er. Or volunteer abroad, with somewhere like ecoteer that costs the bare minimum?
Reply 163
Hi all!

Does anyone know how Deloitte decide on which two of the areas (audit, tax and enterprise risk services) in Professional Services Rotation (summer internship) will you be working in? Is it random or do they select it according to the office that you apply?

Thanks!
Hi people, I have a first interview for the rotation scheme, and was wondering if people could give me any tips for the competency first interview. Thanks
Reply 165
Original post by Ongels
OK, I officially have a place on the SVS in London for consultancy! Absolutely overjoyed. :biggrin:

Hi! I know this post is nearly 3 years late. I was just wondering when applying for the internship, did you have any previous experience in accounting? I have none at the moment so quite worried it will affect my chances of getting an offer! Thanks
Reply 166
Original post by ekta9
Hi! I know this post is nearly 3 years late. I was just wondering when applying for the internship, did you have any previous experience in accounting? I have none at the moment so quite worried it will affect my chances of getting an offer! Thanks

Hey. I don't have any experience in accounting, but I've just been invited to the numerical reasoning stage of the application. Do you have any experience with those?
You dont need any experience... if you do any sort of mathematical/engineering/statistical degree at uni then the tests will be fine (though you may still need practice as people from these backgrounds do still struggle).. if you do law/english/history then you will need alot of practice for the numerical test...
Reply 168
Original post by TSR King
You dont need any experience... if you do any sort of mathematical/engineering/statistical degree at uni then the tests will be fine (though you may still need practice as people from these backgrounds do still struggle).. if you do law/english/history then you will need alot of practice for the numerical test...

Ah okay thanks! I study management and I'm not too bad at maths but I'll probs have to practise quite a bit :smile:
Reply 169
Original post by ekta9

Hi! I haven't been on TSR for ages but I got an email notification about new replies, haha. I had NO experience in accounting. More than that, all my A levels were Arts-based subjects and I was studying English Literature at the time of applying. I'm good at maths so the numerical tests weren't a problem - as long as you can prove that you can do the level of numeracy they require, I don't think a lack of experience matters (in accounting, for that reason).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending