The Student Room Group

The Official TSR Recipe Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
bloodbath (serves 1)

1. find willing volunteer, failing that, anybody will do, just so long as they are fresh
2. bite neck
3. drink

yum
Reply 101
Hey guys, I have created a Student Recipe Database FeedTheStudent.com to allow everyone to show off their excellent recipes or just learn some decent ones to be able to survive at uni (like me :frown: )...so feel free to add some of your dishes and show off your cooking skills !! :biggrin: :biggrin:
Reply 102
Can anyone suggest something interesting to do with sausages?

I'm fed up of casserole, bangers and mash, hot dogs, sausage sandwiches, etc, but sausages are pretty cheap, so any more suggestions would be very welcome
Princess Ana
Can anyone suggest something interesting to do with sausages?

I'm fed up of casserole, bangers and mash, hot dogs, sausage sandwiches, etc, but sausages are pretty cheap, so any more suggestions would be very welcome

You could makea nice dish with beef sausages which involves frying the beef sausages with inions til bron, then adding baby new potatoes, beef gravy and a liberal amount of red wine plus some herbs e.g. a bit of fresh rosemary. Bring to boil and simmer til taties are done. Yum.

Or you can chop normal sausages into slices, and fry up with onions, chillies and garlic. Add can of chopped tomatoes, a bit of tomato puree, beef stock cube, a can of sweetcorn, a bit of water. Then add some rice. When the rice is cooked you have anice tea made in one pan - just the kind of meal I like.
Reply 104
I have only just seen this thread.

I love this thread.
ooh. might try some of these when i can be bothered.

personally i think there should be a food & drink forum for hopeless people like me who cant cook.
bump.

cooking is my life.

i will post a recipe soonish.
Reply 107
Bolognese Sauce:

You need
* mince for two or three people
* an onion
* a small carrot
* two large cans of chopped tomatoes (I recommend Neapolitina, they're tasty, and often on special offer. Supermarket own brand are tasteless)
* herbs (I use some mixed herbs, extra basil, and garlic puree. You made need lots of tomato puree if your tomatoes weren't up to par)

Fry up the mince and onions
Add carrot and most of the chopped tomatoes. Retain a handful of the chopped tomatoes (but none of the juice)
Leave to simmer for a couple of hours till it's reduced to the right consistency
Add herbs and the rest of the tomatoes

Serve with pasta!
ooh thank goodyness i found this thread- i was about to start up a cookery soc... not a bad idea... bit more exposure (not the last page of the food & drink section!) and may attract a few more people into the world of cooking-
should i just join this thread or do people agree with the soc thing?
i suppose by posting this msg i've just brought it back to the top of food&drink anyway...
Ok, I'm getting slightly ahead of myself right now. :biggrin:

Given the popularity of the Food & Drink board, and the fact that (to the best of my knowledge) this hasn't been done already, I was wondering if a great big thread of recipies should be created, with users adding their favourite/best dishes to it? I saw the stickied Body Mod Thread in F&B, and realised it was incredibly useful for those who needed lots of information in one place, and thought a TSR Recipe Thread/Book would be equally useful (esp. to budding cooks / students :rolleyes:). Also, I couldn't find a Recipe area on the TSR wiki (if this gets enough positive responses, then I might include it there too). :smile:

I'll compile all the recipies tendered by you valued TSRians, divide it up into regional and starter/main course/dessert/snacks, and it'd be nice if you could say if the recipe's easy/middling/hard to make. :smile:

To kick things off, I shall give my favourite dessert's recipe:

European Cheesecake - Easy to make

1kg quark (quite hard to get at in the UK, I must admit)
125g butter
325g sugar
3 eggs
One tbl/s baking powder (where I live, you can get wee satchets of these)
One tbl/s vanilla sugar (ditto)
One satchet vanilla pudding powder
2 tbl/s semolina
One lemon, grated, and it's juice

Basically, you add each ingredient bit by bit and use an electric mixer to mix it all up in one big bowl. Simple. Pour into a (round) baking tin (about 20" diameter) and bake on Gas Mark 4 for around 90 mins. Mixture will raise a lot, and then when you take it out to cool, collapse into itself - that's normal. Oh, and don't worry if it's still very wobbly in the middle, it's supposed to be like that, it'll solidify and create a very moist cake... delicious. :smile:

Jayk Bakner
Microwave Brownies! - The sticky joys of brownies, rapido style!
Tools
Your favourite beating instrument (you know you've got one )
20cm rectangular dish, line with greaseproof paper - should be able to fit comfortable in your microwave, really; so if 20cm is too big, go smaller. Don't go bigger, though; because otherwise the brownies will be too thin.
Microwave
Brain

Ingredients
100g dark chocolate
100g butter
100g soft dark brown sugar
2 teaspoons cocoa powder
Pinch'o'salt
2 eggs, beaten
1/2 teaspoon vanilla essence (or vanilla flavouring if you can't find that; or - like me - your local Tesco don't stock it...)
Optional: 100g chopped walnuts

Directions
Put chocolate and butter in a bowl and jam in microwave; HIGH power it for 1 minute, or until the chocolate is liquified.
Stir in all other ingredients, and have at it with your beating tool. Really have at it. Beat it to oblivion and back. Really, just let yourself go!
Pour the goop into your dish, and then cook on MEDIUM for about 6 minutes, or until it's just slightly sticky
Let it cool (because otherwise, you'd have to drink it...) and then cut into squares.
Eat!

Eat!

kemiandtheboy

Lazy Meatballs

250g minced lean beef or pork
50g flour
one egg
half a large onion or one shallot
few cloves of garlic
any other fresh savoury herbs - thyme, rosemary, sage
salt & pepper
sunflower oil

chop the onion, garlic and herbs. put these in a bowl with the mince and the flour, and the egg. put the oil in a frying pan, and put on medium heat. mix meat etc well (use hands). shape mixture into small balls, about the size of the palm of your hand, and pat flat-ish before putting in the frying pan. turn over after a couple of minutes. reduce heat, cover up and leave to cook for 15-20 minutes. serve with mashed potato (use butter and milk in the mash)

alternatively, these can be boiled: mix all the ingredients in a bowl as before, but put a large saucepan of water on the boil. add rice to the mix (as much as will fit in the palm of your hand) and mix it in. then shape smaller round balls and once the water is boiling, drop them in gently. skim the fat off the surface for a minute or so. then cover and simmer for 15-20 mins, or less if you have quick-cook rice. these are nice in a clear soup with veg and noodles or just served with a garnish of steamed carrot/runner beans/asparagus

kemiandtheboy

Spicy Fish

two trout fillets
half a jar of tomato passata
50g pitted black olives
oregano, pepper, chillies
oil

put some oil in a frying pan, on medium heat. put the trout fillets in, skin down. crumble the oregano, pepper and chillies on (to taste). when the fish is light round the edges but still raw in the middle, pour the passata over it, cover and cook for about 10 min. coarsely chop the olives and whack them in, cook for a couple more minutes.

serve with boiled yam/sweet potato and basmati or similar long grain rice.

kemiandtheboy

Vegetarian Pitta

pitta breads
pitted black olives
fresh salad
cucmber
tomato
houmous
couscous
some tinned beans (eg cannelini, flageolet, black-eyed, kidney)

hydrate the couscous. mix up the houmous, beans of your choice and olives. cut the pitta breads in half, grill just for long enough so they puff up. shove in a few salad leaves and spoon in the houmous mixture and couscous. serve with the tomato/cucumber chopped into a bowl or stuffed into the pitta as well.

takes less than 10 min as you can get all the ingredients from most supermarkets. great lunch :smile:

kemiandtheboy

Pancakes

pint of milk - semi or preferably full
two eggs
self-raising flour
unsalted butter
paper towels

beat the egg and milk. add a small tumbler full of flour. beat. keep adding the flour a little at a time, while beating, until you get a thick batter which is still quite runny. put about 20g of butter in a frying pan (medium heat). as it starts to melt and froth up, pour in a ladle of the batter. when you see little bubbles and/or pores in the middle of the pancake, turn it over (use a fish slice). the other side doesn't take as long to cook. take it out onto a plate, use a paper towel to wipe the frying pan. repeat butter/batter/wipe.

the wiping bit is important, because the butter will burn if left in the pan and the pancakes will taste progressively more like charcoal!

some people like to use spray oil, but i think butter tastes better

ninstro

Cloutie Dumpling - Medium, I guess

Pre-Cooking Time: approx. 25mins
Cooking Time: approx. 4hrs + 15mins

Ingredients
225g / 8oz plain flour
200 g / 7oz caster sugar
1 level tsp ground cinnamon
1 heaped tsp mixed spice
110 g / 4oz margarine
220 g / 4oz sultanas
220 g / 4oz currants
1 heaped tsp bicarbonate of soda
200 ml / 7fl.oz cold tea
Whisky [I like a 10yr Glenmorangie myself...]
Pouring cream

Equipment
A big mixing bowl
A medium saucepan
A big cloth [like a muslin]
A mixing spoon
An oven tray
Marigolds [washing up gloves]
String

1) Mix the flour, caster sugar, cinnamon, mixed spice and bicarbonate of soda, followed by the margarine.

2) Then add the sultanas and currants.

3) Follow by adding enough cold tea to make it into a soft dough.

4) Then, dip the cloth into boiling hot water. Drain it [the marigolds are needed for this else you burn your hands!] and spread it flat on a surface.

5) Sprinkle flour and caster sugar on it as evenly as possible, enough to cover it and make a thin 'skin'.

6) Take the dough, make it into a sphere, then place in the middle of the skin and wrap it up, tying the top with string; do this a bit loosely to leave room for expansion.

7) Pour a bit of boiled water into the saucepan then lay the parcel in; top up with more boiled water till the parcel is covered and simmer for 4hrs. Check regularly so that the water is constantly covering the parcel.

8) In the meantime clean the mixing bowl, and then when the 4hrs are up fill with cold water and pre-heat the oven to 180C.

9) Remove the parcel and dip into the cold water for about 8/10 seconds max. [this is to stop the muslin sticking].

10) Remove from water, cut the string and put the dumpling on the oven tray; place it in the oven for about 10/15mins, just to make it less sticky and keep it warm.

11) Whilst in the oven, get the cream and whisk with the whisky - I do this by personal taste, no measurements.

12) Serve the dumpling warm, with the cold whisky cream on hand for those who desire it

*I personally don't think it's difficult, just time-consuming. I also make the best shortbread but that's a family secret I'm not willing to share

Assos
Malteaser Cake - Snack - Easy

Equipment:
Mixing Bowl
Saucepan
Small Heatproof Bowl
Swiss Roll Tin
Spoon

Ingredients:
110g Margarine,
220g of Milk Chocolate,
3 Tablespoons Golden Syrup,
100g Digestive Biscuits,
120g Ginger Biscuits
220g Maltesers,
Plenty of White Chocolate!

Method:

1. Grease Swiss Roll Tin.

2. Place plenty of water in saucepan place the small heatproof bowl on
top, place milk chocolate in bowl and heat until chocolate has melted.

3. Place the margarine and syrup into the bowl with chocolate while still
on heat leave to melt.

4. While the chocolate / margarine / syrup mix is melting crush biscuits.

5. Place melted chocolate and crushed biscuits in mixing bowl set 10
malteasers aside and place the rest in with the chocolate and biscuits.

6. Mix together chocolate and compact into Swiss roll tin and leave to
harden.

7. When hard melt down white chocolate and spread on top crush the
remaining malteasers and sprinkle on.

8. Refrigerate for 30 minutes then cut and serve or place back in fridge
(will keep at room temp but is stickier).

NB
Chocolate can be melted in the microwave, although I am unable to provide timings for this due to the varying power of microwaves.
Reply 110
Seeing as you asked so nicely (read: forced me to at gun-point):
Microwave Brownies! - The sticky joys of brownies, rapido style!
Tools

•

Your favourite beating instrument (you know you've got one :biggrin:)

•

20cm rectangular dish, line with greaseproof paper - should be able to fit comfortable in your microwave, really; so if 20cm is too big, go smaller. Don't go bigger, though; because otherwise the brownies will be too thin.

•

Microwave

•

Brain

Ingredients

•

100g dark chocolate

•

100g butter

•

100g soft dark brown sugar

•

2 teaspoons cocoa powder

•

Pinch'o'salt

•

2 eggs, beaten

•

1/2 teaspoon vanilla essence (or vanilla flavouring if you can't find that; or - like me - your local Tesco don't stock it...)

•

Optional: 100g chopped walnuts

Directions

Put chocolate and butter in a bowl and jam in microwave; HIGH power it for 1 minute, or until the chocolate is liquified.

Stir in all other ingredients, and have at it with your beating tool. Really have at it. Beat it to oblivion and back. Really, just let yourself go! :biggrin:

Pour the goop into your dish, and then cook on MEDIUM for about 6 minutes, or until it's just slightly sticky

Let it cool (because otherwise, you'd have to drink it...) and then cut into squares.

Eat!

Simple, yet oh-so-goooooooood.
lazy meatballs

250g minced lean beef or pork
50g flour
one egg
half a large onion or one shallot
few cloves of garlic
any other fresh savoury herbs - thyme, rosemary, sage
salt & pepper
sunflower oil

chop the onion, garlic and herbs. put these in a bowl with the mince and the flour, and the egg. put the oil in a frying pan, and put on medium heat. mix meat etc well (use hands). shape mixture into small balls, about the size of the palm of your hand, and pat flat-ish before putting in the frying pan. turn over after a couple of minutes. reduce heat, cover up and leave to cook for 15-20 minutes. serve with mashed potato (use butter and milk in the mash)

alternatively, these can be boiled: mix all the ingredients in a bowl as before, but put a large saucepan of water on the boil. add rice to the mix (as much as will fit in the palm of your hand) and mix it in. then shape smaller round balls and once the water is boiling, drop them in gently. skim the fat off the surface for a minute or so. then cover and simmer for 15-20 mins, or less if you have quick-cook rice. these are nice in a clear soup with veg and noodles or just served with a garnish of steamed carrot/runner beans/asparagus
spicy fish

two trout fillets
half a jar of tomato passata
50g pitted black olives
oregano, pepper, chillies
oil

put some oil in a frying pan, on medium heat. put the trout fillets in, skin down. crumble the oregano, pepper and chillies on (to taste). when the fish is light round the edges but still raw in the middle, pour the passata over it, cover and cook for about 10 min. coarsely chop the olives and whack them in, cook for a couple more minutes.

serve with boiled yam/sweet potato and basmati or similar long grain rice.
Thanks Kemi and Jayk! :biggrin:
vegetarian pitta

pitta breads
pitted black olives
fresh salad
cucmber
tomato
houmous
couscous
some tinned beans (eg cannelini, flageolet, black-eyed, kidney)

hydrate the couscous. mix up the houmous, beans of your choice and olives. cut the pitta breads in half, grill just for long enough so they puff up. shove in a few salad leaves and spoon in the houmous mixture and couscous. serve with the tomato/cucumber chopped into a bowl or stuffed into the pitta as well.

takes less than 10 min as you can get all the ingredients from most supermarkets. great lunch :smile:
Crimson Black
Thanks Kemi and Jayk! :biggrin:

;kiss; crimson ;heart;

:biggrin:
oh yes, and breakfast

Pancakes

pint of milk - semi or preferably full
two eggs
self-raising flour
unsalted butter
paper towels

beat the egg and milk. add a small tumbler full of flour. beat. keep adding the flour a little at a time, while beating, until you get a thick batter which is still quite runny. put about 20g of butter in a frying pan (medium heat). as it starts to melt and froth up, pour in a ladle of the batter. when you see little bubbles and/or pores in the middle of the pancake, turn it over (use a fish slice). the other side doesn't take as long to cook. take it out onto a plate, use a paper towel to wipe the frying pan. repeat butter/batter/wipe.

the wiping bit is important, because the butter will burn if left in the pan and the pancakes will taste progressively more like charcoal!

some people like to use spray oil, but i think butter tastes better :smile:
Reply 117
Cloutie Dumpling - Medium, I guess

Pre-Cooking Time: approx. 25mins
Cooking Time: approx. 4hrs + 15mins

Ingredients
225g / 8oz plain flour
200 g / 7oz caster sugar
1 level tsp ground cinnamon
1 heaped tsp mixed spice
110 g / 4oz margarine
220 g / 4oz sultanas
220 g / 4oz currants
1 heaped tsp bicarbonate of soda
200 ml / 7fl.oz cold tea
Whisky [I like a 10yr Glenmorangie myself...]
Pouring cream

Equipment
A big mixing bowl
A medium saucepan
A big cloth [like a muslin]
A mixing spoon
An oven tray
Marigolds [washing up gloves]
String

1) Mix the flour, caster sugar, cinnamon, mixed spice and bicarbonate of soda, followed by the margarine.

2) Then add the sultanas and currants.

3) Follow by adding enough cold tea to make it into a soft dough.

4) Then, dip the cloth into boiling hot water. Drain it [the marigolds are needed for this else you burn your hands!] and spread it flat on a surface.

5) Sprinkle flour and caster sugar on it as evenly as possible, enough to cover it and make a thin 'skin'.

6) Take the dough, make it into a sphere, then place in the middle of the skin and wrap it up, tying the top with string; do this a bit loosely to leave room for expansion.

7) Pour a bit of boiled water into the saucepan then lay the parcel in; top up with more boiled water till the parcel is covered and simmer for 4hrs. Check regularly so that the water is constantly covering the parcel.

8) In the meantime clean the mixing bowl, and then when the 4hrs are up fill with cold water and pre-heat the oven to 180C.

9) Remove the parcel and dip into the cold water for about 8/10 seconds max. [this is to stop the muslin sticking].

10) Remove from water, cut the string and put the dumpling on the oven tray; place it in the oven for about 10/15mins, just to make it less sticky and keep it warm.

11) Whilst in the oven, get the cream and whisk with the whisky - I do this by personal taste, no measurements.

12) Serve the dumpling warm, with the cold whisky cream on hand for those who desire it :biggrin:

*I personally don't think it's difficult, just time-consuming. I also make the best shortbread but that's a family secret I'm not willing to share :p:
Reply 118
Malteaser Cake - Snack - Easy

Ingredients:
Equipment:
110g Margarine,
Mixing Bowl

220g of Milk Chocolate,
Saucepan
3 Tablespoons Golden Syrup,
Small Heatproof Bowl

100g Digestive Biscuits,
Swiss Roll Tin

120g Ginger Biscuits
Spoon

220g Maltesers,

Plenty of White Chocolate!

Method:

1. Grease Swiss Roll Tin.

2. Place plenty of water in saucepan place the small heatproof bowl on
top, place milk chocolate in bowl and heat until chocolate has melted.

3. Place the margarine and syrup into the bowl with chocolate while still
on heat leave to melt.

4. While the chocolate / margarine / syrup mix is melting crush biscuits.

5. Place melted chocolate and crushed biscuits in mixing bowl set 10
malteasers aside and place the rest in with the chocolate and biscuits.

6. Mix together chocolate and compact into Swiss roll tin and leave to
harden.

7. When hard melt down white chocolate and spread on top crush the
remaining malteasers and sprinkle on.

8. Refrigerate for 30 minutes then cut and serve or place back in fridge
(will keep at room temp but is stickier).

NB
Chocolate can be melted in the microwave, although I am unable to provide timings for this due to the varying power of microwaves.
Thanks all for your contributions so far! :smile:

Quick Reply