The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

sutton bonington accom?

finally received my offer a few days ago and now checking out the accommodation. I never realized how far away sutton bonington really is. Is it wise to stay at bonington halls or is that going to cut me off from my uni experience? Is it going to be to far to travel from one of the of the other halls to sutton bonnington campus everyday for lectures? Anyone with any advice on this dilemma please write back. Also i am studying nutrition, if anyone has any info on what the course is like write back cheers.

Scroll to see replies

Yeah I'm in the same boat as you! I've only just realised how far away SB is from the university park. It's sort of put me off!
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by smallstar_18
Yeah I'm in the same boat as you! I've only just realised how far away SB is from the university park. It's sort of put me off!

yeah i donno what to the views are so mixed and the open day is so long away that i cant go decide for my self. what u studying ?
I'm in the exact position as you! I was considering perhaps applying for an accomodation at the university park, so I won't miss out on anything but then I'd have to travel 20mins to my lectures... Which is effort I'm not willing to make! Ergh!
Plus hopefully I'll be studying Biochemistry and Genetics. - its not as boring as it sounds my I add!
Reply 4
I haven't had much experience with SB except that there is a second year in my hall who has her course on SB and lived her first year in SB but she felt like she missed out on a lot so she decided to stay on UP her second year. There are free buses from UP to SB if you want to live on campus. I would see if its possible to talk to current students on SB and see if it sounds like something you would enjoy
Reply 5
I'm also firming a course where I'll be based at SB, not sure i want to live out so far in the countryside though. If the buses are dependable enough might be all right to live at UP. :confused:

I dunno I guess I'll make my mind up about the place when I go visit.
Reply 6
Original post by Sandra1993
I haven't had much experience with SB except that there is a second year in my hall who has her course on SB and lived her first year in SB but she felt like she missed out on a lot so she decided to stay on UP her second year. There are free buses from UP to SB if you want to live on campus. I would see if its possible to talk to current students on SB and see if it sounds like something you would enjoy

Yeah I am sure thats what i am going to do. 20 mins isn't to bad as long as the buses are reliable, I think its def the better option. I am going to an open day tomorrow so should be able to get some further advice.

Original post by Tac Crab
I'm also firming a course where I'll be based at SB, not sure i want to live out so far in the countryside though. If the buses are dependable enough might be all right to live at UP. :confused:

I dunno I guess I'll make my mind up about the place when I go visit.

What are you course are you firming. I am defiantly firming nutrition.
Reply 7
I'm doing Biotechnology. Pretty sure the first year is nearly identical for all the Bioscience students.
Reply 8
Yeah seems that way. You know anything about the timetable for the first year ? i have checked it out on notts website but it seems pretty unrealistic or so i am told.
Reply 9
Nah I don't know anything about the timetable, thought we'd only hear about that when we get there.
Reply 10
Original post by dmowdog
Yeah seems that way. You know anything about the timetable for the first year ? i have checked it out on notts website but it seems pretty unrealistic or so i am told.

timetables on the website include optional modules so there are more classes on there then you will actually be taking
Original post by Sandra1993

I'm assuming you go to Nottingham, I was just wondering if you could please tell me what Nottingham is REALLY like? I mean from a student's type of view? I'm going there next week but I'm just too eager to find out more about it
Reply 12
Original post by smallstar_18
I'm assuming you go to Nottingham, I was just wondering if you could please tell me what Nottingham is REALLY like? I mean from a student's type of view? I'm going there next week but I'm just too eager to find out more about it

Sure, what do you want to know? its easier for me to answer if you ask some specific questions but id be happy to answer!
Sorry, I was meant to say next month in my previous post. Err what's the accomodation like on the UP? What course do you study? Would you recommend notts? Oh and what's Nottingham like? As an area? Would you describe it as a city? Or just a really big town? Sorry! So many questions!
Reply 14
I am also in the same position as you lot. I wish to study Biotechnology at SB, do you think its better to commute every day and live in UP?? or stay closer to lectures? I have an open day on wednesday 22nd so i guess i will have a feel for SB, but i really dont want to miss out on the social side of uni. I spoke to a friend who is at UP and he walks 25 mins to get to his lectures so i guess that's the same as getting a bus. UP or SB? Does anyone know how Biotechnology is like as a degree? sorry for the essay and loads of questions! would appreciate any help!!!
Reply 15
I have been to an open day now and sutton bonnington is a lot better than i thought. It is in the middle of nowhere but does have nearly 2000 students on the campus. i was impressed with all the sports facilities on the campus as i had no idea they were there. found out for my course (nutrition Bsc), it has around 20 contact hours per week. If i did stay in UP then i would of have to get the bus in the morning 3 times a week which is not as bad as i thought. I was assured by the students that there is no probs going out in notts, they said that when there are uni events on there's a bus what comes picks them up at the end of the night. they also said that there's no prob with staying on UP, just make sure that u are going to be able to get up earlier and get the shuttle bus. Most of them seemed to stay at bonnington halls for there first year then stay in the student villiages in Nottingham in there second year. still havnt made my mind up yet but def has made it harder for me not to choose bonnington halls.
Original post by dmowdog
I have been to an open day now and sutton bonnington is a lot better than i thought. It is in the middle of nowhere but does have nearly 2000 students on the campus. i was impressed with all the sports facilities on the campus as i had no idea they were there. found out for my course (nutrition Bsc), it has around 20 contact hours per week. If i did stay in UP then i would of have to get the bus in the morning 3 times a week which is not as bad as i thought. I was assured by the students that there is no probs going out in notts, they said that when there are uni events on there's a bus what comes picks them up at the end of the night. they also said that there's no prob with staying on UP, just make sure that u are going to be able to get up earlier and get the shuttle bus. Most of them seemed to stay at bonnington halls for there first year then stay in the student villiages in Nottingham in there second year. still havnt made my mind up yet but def has made it harder for me not to choose bonnington halls.

glad you like it round here :biggrin: i love it so much im actually staying in opal for my 2nd year too :P
Hey guys,
I thought I should comment on here, as an SB-er... I will give you the honest truth about SB.

Now SB can look really daunting, as you have all said, its really far away. I know its cliché but you have to visit the campus before you can really decided if you "fit" here. There are hourly buses to UP, they usually up to 20 to get to UP, and then there are the 34 city link buses that take you into the centre of town (this is £1). And at the weekends, the hopper bus takes you right into town, (this is obviously free). When it comes to nights out, the clincher is that its expensive to get home, we all normally get the hopper to UP, have drinks and mooch, then a texi to town is about £6, and it about £14-17 to get back to SB. But the good thing about notts is that you can haggle the black cabs down, (my cheapest ride home was £12). Also there are the SB nights, they are almost legenday, you get VERY drunk, and its usually £3 to get in, however, you'll never have to really buy many drinks from the bar, cause you can walk to your flat and get more booze that way!

Flats:
I am currently in the Thrumpton House, which is lush, opal are a good company, if something breaks someone comes and fixes it. No questions asked, no fines. So they are pretty good. Also the advantage of being on this campus is that if you are staying with bio-students, 9/10 you'll have the same work to do. So most of the time we go try and do our work, then all sit in the kitchen and help each other out, where as if your in UP, you could be live with Psychology, history.. and so on students... Its a nice little community here and personally and I really like that aspect. Also the other advantage is... waking up at 8:50 for a 9am lecture... and you will be on time :wink: If your quick.

The course:
I am a fresher doing Nutrition, and I am really enjoying it to be honest. It's hard, but the lecturers are always happy to answer any questions you have during the breaks and at the end of lectures. The work load is moderate for the first semester, but this semester has got slightly more serious, but to be fair... we are here to get a degree.

Nights out:
Nottingham night life is amazing, you'll soon learn the Nottingham "Bay watch" tradition. And being on SB has never stopped or interupted ruined any chances of missing out. Also when it comes to the "BIG" nights out, for example.. 7-legged-bar-crawl, Rebab bar crawl, barumble and during freshers week (aka Week One) there are buses provided, they are either free or about £1-2 to get there and back. And finally the other advantage of SB, is that we have the likes of nottingham
and Loughborough. Lufbra have the biggest student union in the UK, and you can imagine... the nights there are VERY good, and for all the girls... MANY MANY MANY men. Hehehe. Usually us SB-ers go and gatecrash there nights, a few weeks back a friend & I attended there foam party. And a few weeks ago about 40 of us all headed there (obviously keeping costs down)...

I hope I have sold SB to you, and answered some questions to you honestly. And if you have any more, then feel free to ask.

Cheers x
There are around 1800 students on SB, which is by no means a small number! SB has its own Guild, with their own Officers for various things, and similar to UP have student Course and School Reps, clubs/societies, halls, libraries, food outlets and so forth. They run lots of awesome events, including the regular Farmers Market.

In terms of missing out, I wouldn't say it's an issue providing you put a bit of effort into it. There's a free Hopper Bus service between the two which runs until about 11PM. This means that any clubs/societies/groups on UP are easy enough to get to and from. Likewise, any facilities you need on UP are only 20 minutes away, and a lot of them (like the Student Services Centre) exist on SB too.

My course is on Jubilee and I lived on UP in first year - the bus journey was about 10 minutes each way, but you can get a fair bit done on a bus!

I'd say the acommodation is better on SB, and I actually prefer the atmosphere on the SB campus - it feels more homely and has a lovely community feel whenever I pop over :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending