The Student Room Group

St John Ambulance Society

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Whey aye Cabaye
Thanks you guys were right about me not being the actor because I basically talked through what I would do, answered questions and demonstrated. I was so nervous and one of the last people to be assessed but I passed it all and made no mistakes

It was a medical gases assessment btw xo

good to hear , well done .
Anyone got any interesting duties coming up soon? Anything to do with the Olympics? My division is gonna be sharing the duty for the Olympic torch relay but that's miles away in July.
Original post by KingGoonIan
Anyone got any interesting duties coming up soon? Anything to do with the Olympics? My division is gonna be sharing the duty for the Olympic torch relay but that's miles away in July.

London Marathon in April

I am going to avoid the Olympics like the plague.
Original post by ~Justin~
London Marathon in April

I am going to avoid the Olympics like the plague.

My division is doing the London marathon as well. I've never been before, have you?

I may also try and get to Twickenham for the rugby if I get the chance.
Reply 144
How do you become an AFA? I'm an FA at the moment... revalidation in April
Reply 145
My division is doing the London marathon as well. I've never been before, have you?

I'm also down for London Marathon as well as Olympic and Wimbledon duties :smile:
Original post by Palladium
I'm also down for London Marathon as well as Olympic and Wimbledon duties :smile:

Nice, Wimbledon you lucky thing! Do you get to go into the courts and watch?

I've done it for two years. A coach load of us come up from Dorset every year. In 2010 I was in the ITU/HDU FAP (7.3?) and last year was near Horse Guards (7.7?) and I believe this year we may have our own FAP but that is most likely a rumor.
I've done it for two years. A coach load of us come up from Dorset every year. In 2010 I was in the ITU/HDU FAP (7.3?) and last year was near Horse Guards (7.7?) and I believe this year we may have our own FAP but that is most likely a rumor.

Cool man, why do you wanna avoid the Olympics so much?
Cool man, why do you wanna avoid the Olympics so much?

I just think there is going to be a politics involved, a lot of rubbing of crowns on shoulders. Nothing seems to be confirmed yet either which is worrying... But that is my opinion :smile:
Original post by Palladium
How do you become an AFA? I'm an FA at the moment... revalidation in April

don't forget the specifications have changed , so the priority will be to upgrade existing AFAs to new AFA ( gasses , trauma management etc ) and then looking at up grading those FAs who want to be AFAs

once the new specs have bedded in it'll be as normal . bid for a course place , get a course , attended , pass the assessment ...
SJA and the Olympics

LOCOG rejected a comprehensive bid from SJA ( and bids from others ) for coverage in favour of providing it;s own first aiders for the directly LOCOG managed venues.

some venues e.g. football stadia all ready have contracts with SJA so SJA may be involved in covering those venues

the torch relay appears to being covered by SJA

there are also none LOCOG events that will require cover e.g. screenings in stadia, parks and squares - which we've seen with other large sporting events - cover for those will be organisaed by whomsoever is organising the screening - so often Local authorities etc who may have existing relationships with SJA / BRC/ event medical management companies who use SJA / BRC as subbies.
Original post by zippyRN
SJA and the Olympics

LOCOG rejected a comprehensive bid from SJA ( and bids from others ) for coverage in favour of providing it;s own first aiders for the directly LOCOG managed venues.

some venues e.g. football stadia all ready have contracts with SJA so SJA may be involved in covering those venues

the torch relay appears to being covered by SJA

there are also none LOCOG events that will require cover e.g. screenings in stadia, parks and squares - which we've seen with other large sporting events - cover for those will be organisaed by whomsoever is organising the screening - so often Local authorities etc who may have existing relationships with SJA / BRC/ event medical management companies who use SJA / BRC as subbies.

I can see a lot of LOCOG volunteers dropping out, causing VAS/PAS having to step up and not having the man power. In some county's basic duties aren't getting covered because there is not enough man power.
Justin the LOCOG model works on the basis of working their HCPs and the LAS Ambulance crews hard - given that the standard requested of LOCOG first aider volunteers is lower than new spec First Aider for SJA ( iirc it was FAW and ideally AED) which along with the word on the grapevine suggests the model of service is rather different than the model SJA would have proposed based on the modus operandi at large events and the organisation's experience at CWGs and the Sydney Olympics ...
Thank you for replying that has made me feel a lot better. I have my interview on Wednesday so at least now I know what to expect.
Good luck!
Just ordered my new SDU and I have this new FA training scheme whatever it is this week :\ I've got my eggs ready to suck although I am sure I will learn something new!
Just ordered my new SDU and I have this new FA training scheme whatever it is this week :\ I've got my eggs ready to suck although I am sure I will learn something new!

What's an SDU sorry? Good luck with your new training scheme.

My division were meant to have an inspection earlier this evening but the person inspecting us cancelled about two hours before so everyone was pretty annoyed. Hardly surprised myself.

We'll be having it in two weeks instead so I'll be looking forward to being patronised.
SDU = service delivery uniform i.e. the new pattern uniform that is meant to be being issued to all operational members at present.
I've got my first SJA first aid competitions next month - any tips?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending