The Student Room Group

Law Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by amyelizabeth2681
Me too! I've already got an offer from Birmingham, so it'd be really nice if UCL could let me know if I got in or not, seeing as if I don't get into UCL, Birmingham it is. Need to apply for accommodation and what not so yea...I'm definitely frustrated.

Hmmm...wonder what my chances are of getting a place. I got a 19 on my LNAT and 4 A's in Economics, History, Spanish and Government and politics. I've seen people with better grades than that that haven't gotten in :frown:

=( I guess we just have to wait till after Easter to know! Yep I want to sort accommodation out but luckily after going to my open day for offer holders at LSE I found out its not first come first serve so not too worried anymore =D!

Well if they've put you in the holding then they definitely like you and you stand a good chance I'm sure it'll be fine =) finger crossed for us all!!
Reply 3561
Original post by Tsunami2011
Stalked your posts and saw that you have a Cambridge offer, you lucky sod! no wonder you're confused:biggrin: I thought it was good, slightly underwhelming though, but on the whole it was ok, but already living in London, makes it unattractive to me.

haha not as good as Warwick! but better than anticpated. I think I'm going for Warwick, can't see myself getting an A* anyway:s-smilie:

Yeah like I said, I mostly liked the guy who opened. Did you go the the Meet and Greet? I also felt underwhelmed by the experience till I spoke to professors there. Perhaps they didn't feel the need to put in effort to impress us? I hear from a friend in the afternoon session that a subject taster session involved giving tips on what to put in a personal statement! Clearly he didn't realize he was talking to accepted students...

I'm guessing the Student Rep didn't convince you that living in London and being a uni student in London are very different experiences? :tongue: So are you set on Warwick now or will you do more thinking?

Also, you didn't say if you were the obnoxious guy or not? :pierre:
Me (:
Original post by ratio
Yeah like I said, I mostly liked the guy who opened. Did you go the the Meet and Greet? I also felt underwhelmed by the experience till I spoke to professors there. Perhaps they didn't feel the need to put in effort to impress us? I hear from a friend in the afternoon session that a subject taster session involved giving tips on what to put in a personal statement! Clearly he didn't realize he was talking to accepted students...

I'm guessing the Student Rep didn't convince you that living in London and being a uni student in London are very different experiences? :tongue: So are you set on Warwick now or will you do more thinking?

Also, you didn't say if you were the obnoxious guy or not? :pierre:

Yeah I liked that guy aswell, seemed really energetic and passionate. Yeah, I just felt like they understandably felt like they didn't need to persuade us to come, because in reality LSE is usually the top choice for most candiates or second to Oxbridge :unsure:. I probably should have spoke to the professors, but I was hungover from the day before:s-smilie: so just wanted to go home back to bed.

Not really tbh, because If I were to go to LSE, I would live at home, I just can't justify living in halls, when I've got a perfectly good bed at home for free, may aswell go for broke and leave London or just be a commuter. I live about 15 minutes away by tube, so it'd be strange for me to move into halls, which would probably move me further away from the university.

I think so! i'm willing to sacrifice the difference in prestige, largely because I'm almost sure I'd have a better time at Warwick and become more rounded. I'm a pretty lazy person, and tbh if I were at LSE, I' can just see myself not bothering to get involved in societies and would just end up envying my friends who have fleed the nest, while at Warwick there'd be no choice! At least my alternative isn't too far down the tables :lol: It's not LSE that I have the problem with, its the location, all the stuff I hear wouldn't have put me off if it wasn't so close!
Reply 3564
Yeah I liked that guy aswell, seemed really energetic and passionate. Yeah, I just felt like they understandably felt like they didn't need to persuade us to come, because in reality LSE is usually the top choice for most candiates or second to Oxbridge :unsure:. I probably should have spoke to the professors, but I was hungover from the day before:s-smilie: so just wanted to go home back to bed.

Not really tbh, because If I were to go to LSE, I would live at home, I just can't justify living in halls, when I've got a perfectly good bed at home for free, may aswell go for broke and leave London or just be a commuter. I live about 15 minutes away by tube, so it'd be strange for me to move into halls, which would probably move me further away from the university.

I think so! i'm willing to sacrifice the difference in prestige, largely because I'm almost sure I'd have a better time at Warwick and become more rounded. I'm a pretty lazy person, and tbh if I were at LSE, I' can just see myself not bothering to get involved in societies and would just end up envying my friends who have fleed the nest, while at Warwick there'd be no choice! At least my alternative isn't too far down the tables :lol: It's not LSE that I have the problem with, its the location, all the stuff I hear wouldn't have put me off if it wasn't so close!

Well it certainly sounds like you've thought out your decision, and I sense that as long as you do well at Warwick you'll be in good stead to achieve whatever your aspirations would have been at LSE. And I totally concur with the bolded part. I feel like I would undoubtedly be a better student after Cambridge and that is extremely important to me, but, partly from what I've gleaned on these forums, I am unsure if I will develop more as a person rather than solely as an academic. LSE just seems to have a better balance between the two.
Original post by ratio
Well it certainly sounds like you've thought out your decision, and I sense that as long as you do well at Warwick you'll be in good stead to achieve whatever your aspirations would have been at LSE. And I totally concur with the bolded part. I feel like I would undoubtedly be a better student after Cambridge and that is extremely important to me, but, partly from what I've gleaned on these forums, I am unsure if I will develop more as a person rather than solely as an academic. LSE just seems to have a better balance between the two.

As strange as it sounds, the few people I know at Cambridge seem to have 'better' social lifes than those that I know at LSE. Its a totally different culture, both sets of students seem to work hard, but Cambridge students seem to play harder, based on my very small sample:tongue: It just seems like an experience which will live with you forever, whilst I've heard of people describe their experience as unremarkable and just a IB factory. I personally think that both will work you 'almost' equally as hard, but It just seems like Cambridge and Oxbridge in general is more close-knit, probably down to the college atmosphere. Good luck choosing! I envy you:wink:
I used to be a prestige-whore, but then I guess I realised life is too short!

Oh, and I wasn't the obnoxious guy who was wittering on about Mill, I was thinking what a tool..:colonhash:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by ratio

Don't believe the stereotype. University is what you make of it - Oxbridge has plenty of people who enjoy clubbing and actually living life as well as working. There will be plenty at Cambridge and at LSE who have soulless existences, and plenty at each institution who love their time at uni. LSE certainly isn't without its downsides - lots of international students, expensive accommodation, the possibility of having to live miles away and commute in because of the aforementioned, etc.
Hello applicants!

Just popping in to wish you all luck :sexface:

I was in your position this time last year and remember it was quite an interesting time... Just remember that in a few months it will all be over and you can return to relative normality.

And despite what people tell you, don't worry about the workload, it's moderate.
Reply 3568
Original post by michael321
Don't believe the stereotype. University is what you make of it - Oxbridge has plenty of people who enjoy clubbing and actually living life as well as working. There will be plenty at Cambridge and at LSE who have soulless existences, and plenty at each institution who love their time at uni. LSE certainly isn't without its downsides - lots of international students, expensive accommodation, the possibility of having to live miles away and commute in because of the aforementioned, etc.

Hey,
Thanks a lot for the input.:smile: I'm certainly not going to base my decision off of stereotypes, and, in any case, the percentage of students who go clubbing or not isn't a concern for me. I know that things are more nuanced than I posited them to be earlier. I'm visiting Cambridge tomorrow - when I interviewed I didn't see much of it as I just wanted to get the hell out afterwards - I should be closer to a decision then.

I don't know why anyone would neg you; your answer seemed very balanced to me. :unsure:

As strange as it sounds, the few people I know at Cambridge seem to have 'better' social lifes than those that I know at LSE. Its a totally different culture, both sets of students seem to work hard, but Cambridge students seem to play harder, based on my very small sample:tongue: It just seems like an experience which will live with you forever, whilst I've heard of people describe their experience as unremarkable and just a IB factory. I personally think that both will work you 'almost' equally as hard, but It just seems like Cambridge and Oxbridge in general is more close-knit, probably down to the college atmosphere. Good luck choosing! I envy you:wink:
I used to be a prestige-whore, but then I guess I realised life is too short!

Oh, and I wasn't the obnoxious guy who was wittering on about Mill, I was thinking what a tool..:colonhash:

Funny enough, my small sample of people largely correlates with your findings as well (on Cambs). My friends from LSE do like it and some of their complaints (e.g. it's impersonal) come from going to a London uni more so than LSE itself.

I think part of my confusion is just irrational tbh. Turning down LSE seems so incompatible with my deep-seated inclination to go there. I've wanted to go to LSE for as long as I was aware about unis because of it's political activism etc, but, as Michael noted above any school is what you make of it. And after sitting in Peacock Theatre during the Visit Day, I kept thinking "this is another plus for the supervision system".

Thanks to you both. I will take my thoughts elsewhere now as I don't want to dominate the thread with my personal deliberations or have my fortunate debate be misconstrued as bragging. Either way, it seems all 3 of us will be at great places this year. (Tsunami and I still need to put in the work though).
Reply 3569
I think I'm going to firm Warwick, just haven't got round to it because all my offers are 3A's, so having a bit of a mare
I really don't know what to put as my insurance, I'm thinking Sussex because it doesn't exclude general studies.But I know someone who got into Bristol last year as his insurance choice with A*bb
Reply 3570
x

Original post by michael321
x

Just getting back in after setting off for Cambs at 10.45a.m. Decision is clear now (even if one poor Sidney lawyer is now a day behind on revision). Thanks again for your input. I agree with both your positions now. :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Anyone still waiting for replies?
Should I consider I failed if they are still holding my application?

And the system is closing until Tuesday lol
Reply 3572
Just got an offer from QMUL for LLM, hmmm....still, haven quite decided to accept it or not.
Original post by junhong
Just got an offer from QMUL for LLM, hmmm....still, haven quite decided to accept it or not.

What are your other options?
Original post by ratio
Just getting back in after setting off for Cambs at 10.45a.m. Decision is clear now (even if one poor Sidney lawyer is now a day behind on revision). Thanks again for your input. I agree with both your positions now. :smile:

Definitely made the right choice but I feel sorry for you... Cambridge Law is more intense than you could ever imagine. BUT, the fact that you got an offer clearly means that the DoS thought you could handle it!
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by ratio

Sorry just to clarify, you have an offer from Cambridge and weren't sure whether to accept? Wow. I'm sure you have many valid reasons, but WOW.

Really wow.

(cambridge <3)
Reply 3576
Original post by Doughnuts!!
Definitely made the right choice but I feel sorry for you... Cambridge Law is more intense than you could ever imagine. BUT, the fact that you got an offer clearly means that the DoS thought you could handle it!

Well, let's hope he is right. Good luck with revision :smile:

Original post by mathsmusicfrench
Sorry just to clarify, you have an offer from Cambridge and weren't sure whether to accept? Wow. I'm sure you have many valid reasons, but WOW.

Really wow.

(cambridge <3)

Don't worry, you're not the only one who thought I was crazy:getmecoat:(that's partly why I tried not to state the other place I was considering). It doesn't really matter anymore as I intend to accept!
Reply 3577
Not sure where I'm going to accept - got offers from Durham, King's, Bristol and Exeter......
Original post by georget1
Not sure where I'm going to accept - got offers from Durham, King's, Bristol and Exeter......

Dickson Poon's School of Law IMO.

Really.
Reply 3579
I don't know if many people, if any, have firmed York in this thread, but if anyone who has is reading this do drop me a message, be nice to chat to other people who are hopefully York bound :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending