The Student Room Group

Extra stuff to buy for medical school?

Hi guys,
I've seen all sort of different threads about stethoscopes and what not - from picking a colour to picking a model, amongst other weird and wonderful stuff.

I was just wondering, do we even have to buy one before we get to med school? Is that an actual requirement? Or will the medical school we are going to recommend one when we get there?

Also is there anything else we (medical students to be) have to get that's "extra" to everyone else? (Hope this makes sense)

Only asking because I'm trying to come up with some sort of list of stuff I have to buy. Yeah, yeah I know it's early but I thought I might as well start buying early instead of then having to spend loads in one go.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
You really don't need a stethoscope for first year. I don't think we use them until third year and I think it's the same for most places. Having said that, I bought one before I came, it's just a nice way of treating yourself I think and I use it to practice taking BP. If you want to get one you might as well. They won't be any cheaper or any better in a few years time, so as long as you can look after it until then go for it. I also bought a skeleton, wish I hadn't, it's just in the way in my room, never use it. Can't really think of what else you might need aside from textbook recommendations but I don't know what ones are best for the course at BSMS.
Reply 2
Thanks!!
Pretty awesome that you bought a skeleton. Is it just so you can say to it: "Bone appetite" when you are about to eat? -Please insert any other skeleton joke here - hehe.

What stethoscope did you get? Anything fancy?
I will ask on their facebook page what books they recommend :smile:
Reply 3
Some people have mentioned that they bought their stethoscopes at the fresher's fair at the beginning of term. I imagine they will tell us what else we need once we start.
Reply 4
He's named after the famous singer from my hometown, Tom Jones. His name is Tom Bones.

Just the standard Littmann Classic 2 SE. You really don't need anything else from what I've heard.
Reply 5
Sir Thomas Boneward aka Tom Bones! Love it.

I was thinking that perhaps they would be cheaper at the fair, no? Think I will wait till I get to uni.

Thanks everyone! Much love :smile:
http://www.bmamedicalsuppliesdirect.co.uk/littmann-classic-stethoscope-caribbean-blue.html

This is mine.
Top tip - get you name engraved on it. The number of times ive lost mine and its found its way back to me is unbelieveable.
I disagree with some people on not getting a stetheoscope until clinical years. I needed one for an OSCE in first year. Not only that you an learn to take manual BP etc.
You won't really need a stethescope in pre-clinicals in most cases. At UCL we don't need one until 4th year.
Your university will recommend all vaccinations and equipment needed as and when its appropriate. Your textbooks will most often be told to you once term starts by both lecturers and upper years, though even then you'll only need to buy one or two "essentials" with the rest being plentiful in library stock.
If you know your pre-clinicals have dissection or lots of wet-lab work, it would be worth you getting a lab coat - though once again your medical school will tell you if you need one and give you advance notice, though it can easily be bought from the university's shop in most cases.
Just make sure you have one or two smart items of clothing for any patient encounters you will have - more than likely you will already have this due to needing to be smart for the interviews you were invited :tongue:
Just read the posts above me. Looks like stethescopes are utilised to varying degrees at varying medical schools. I've been taught how to take BP manually but UCL operate a policy of keeping clinical skills rooms in their teaching hospitals open to the medical students where there are plenty of steths and sphygmomanometers. As we have solely written papers in Y1-3 and do not enter clinics or have OSCEs until Y4, there is no need for us to have one. It is best to check your course structure to work out what's needed. Saying that, it is still probably best to wait until freshers before you get a stethescope as many companies often give out discounts and vouchers to medics in the first few weeks of term to entice you into buying a stethescope/journal subscription/membership etc. :smile:
We definitely need a stethoscope in our first year for learning to take manual blood pressures and the cardiovascular examination. Second year it's essential for the GI and Respiratory examinations.
Reply 10
We also definitely need a steth in our first year, we have two OCSEs and plenty of times we're required to use it in GP clinic/wards. It depends on your medical school, as you can see from the thread there's clearly a split so ask some BSMS students if you need one.

If you do need one, I'd wait until freshers anyway because if you join the BMA you get £15 off.

Other than a steth, buy lots of bottle openers. Those things vanish easier than the bloody Mary Celeste.
At lancaster the medical schools pretty new and dosn't do dissections, so im considering buying a cadaver.....
You probably won't need anything except a lot of beer and perhaps some whisky :h:
Depends on your med school. I would email them and ask.

At mine we needed:

- stethoscope (littman classic - wait for BMA offer)
- white coat for dissection
- pocket mask for bls
- dissection kit (sold to us by the med school)

I wouldn't buy any text books for a while. Use library books at first and see what books you actually need to buy. Often you can just use library books.
Reply 14
No need for anything 1st year at Birmingham.

I saw a stethoscope once.
Reply 15
Thanks everyone!
I asked on their facebook page and they said a Classic II S.E sthethoscope should be fine, but I might go for the Cardiology III just because I don't see the point in a few years having to buy a different one. Doubt they are going to change that much anytime soon so might as well pay a bit more but get a better product.

Having said that which one is "better"? Littman Traditional or Littman Cardiology III? Both of them are reccommended for medical students.

Also when do we get invited to the BMA? During Freshers?
Original post by purplefrog
I've been taught how to take BP manually but UCL operate a policy of keeping clinical skills rooms in their teaching hospitals open to the medical students where there are plenty of steths and sphygmomanometers. As we have solely written papers in Y1-3 and do not enter clinics or have OSCEs until Y4, there is no need for us to have one.

Wow, so do you not have any sustained patient contact or really need to know any clinical skills until 4th year at UCL?
Original post by diurno
Thanks everyone!
I asked on their facebook page and they said a Classic II S.E sthethoscope should be fine, but I might go for the Cardiology III just because I don't see the point in a few years having to buy a different one. Doubt they are going to change that much anytime soon so might as well pay a bit more but get a better product.

Having said that which one is "better"? Littman Traditional or Littman Cardiology III? Both of them are reccommended for medical students.

Also when do we get invited to the BMA? During Freshers?

I thought the cardiology one was only necessary if you were doing cardiology? :s
Reply 18
Original post by No Future
I thought the cardiology one was only necessary if you were doing cardiology? :s

I thought the same :/ If you had one of those you'd probably be expected to pick up on some of the more expert heart sounds. i say Classic is the only choice really.

Also OP the BMA will have a sign-up session during freshers.
Reply 19
Original post by hoonosewot
Wow, so do you not have any sustained patient contact or really need to know any clinical skills until 4th year at UCL?

We have patient contact, but the focus is totally different. It's largely about care in the community - so we go to sheltered housing, residential homes etc a few times, and patients come in to for group interview sessions sometimes. it's usually just sitting down and having a chat though (not even taking proper histories).

Useful in some ways, but I can't help but feel like we could be getting a lot more out of our time with the patients - perhaps one of the things that's been addressed in the new curriculum, I'm not sure.

Quick Reply