The Student Room Group

A and A* students... Share your revision tips

Scroll to see replies

Original post by daydreamaway

Do stupid anecdotes (like for enzyme inhibitors I thought of a couple that NEED to get together (substrate and enzyme) being cockblocked (inhibited) by the girl's boyfriend. Ridiculous, but it worked)

:rofl: :rofl: That's cool lol. One of the funniest thing's I've ever heard lol.
Don't study for long periods. This was my revision timetable which got me AAAAB (Scottish highers) and thus an unconditional.
45 minutes study.
30 minutes break.
45 minutes study.
30 minutes break.
45 minutes study.
30 minute break.
45 minutes study.
30 minute break.
45 minutes study.
30 minute break.
45 minutes study.
30 minutes break.
30 minutes study.

Thats 5 hours study :smile: although 4 would be suffice.
Use the last 30 minutes as a re-cap, and the first 45 to go over stuff that you covered already covered, e.g. stuff you learned the day before or from the previous week. Repetition is essential to ensure the knowledge goes into your long-term memory. Also, regular breaks are key to keep your mind awake.
Past papers and marking schemes are all useful.
Ok, bit of background info:
Before January, I was very laid back and uncaring, the kind of "revision...LULZ" type of guy and I crammed a few days before the exams.
I currently take Bio, Chem, Maths and Business Studies at AS. My results in January were A,C,C,B respectively.

Upon getting my results in March, it gave me a huge wake up call as I am aspiring to go into medicine (3 A's required) and I made a pledge to improve.

1)You must have a solid foundation when beginning revision and this means trying your best in every single lesson that you have and going over newly learned content (10 mins reading before and after is sufficient) which helps to instil a valuable work ethic and above all, confidence in the subject.

2)When learning content as other people have said, try to link it to what you already know.
One useful tip I found is to devise questions that they may ask you on the content you have learned and then answering them.

3)Print of the specification of the subject you are revising.

4)Systematically go through what you know on the spec by doing small revision sessions- no more than 45 mins.

5)Start heavy revision about 1 month before the exam. Heavy revision meaning that each subject gets at least 10 hours a week.

6) I recommend the CGP books for everything EXCEPT maths.

7)Once you're confident enough, begin doing past papers on the subjects and revise the weak points that crop up.

8)If available, try to do tests that are based on just one section e.g. my school has devised papers on fronter that are just on each type of section in Bio.
There are Chemistry tests such as these available in the chem resources thread- It is in one of the links on the op.a level chemistry the site is called.

8)Section based test help as it allows for constant repetition of a subject.

9)Do past papers in genuine EXAM CONDITIONS, so you can achieve a true reflection of where you are at.

10)Learn from the mark scheme thoroughly and spot the patterns.

I did all of the above and I am now on track to get A* in maths and 3 A's in the rest. Sorry if that sounded arrogant by the way, just wanted to use myself as an example :redface:

So yeah...
Good luck :smile:
Don't overdo it on the revision, I think that's where I went wrong.
I stressed myself out so much worrying that I ended up in tears a lot of days before my exams and I still only got Bs. (not that there's anything wrong with that at all but I put in so much effort.)
I think the only way to ensure that you get a high grade is to make sure you understand what you're learning, paying attention in class, making sure your notes are organised etc. And another main way of getting your grade up would be to look at the mark schemes of past papers. If you see a pattern in the way they mark it, it will give you and idea of how they will mark your papers and you can ensure you get as many of the marks as possible! Hope this helps. :smile:
Reply 1004
A paper by UCAL that came out yesterday points towards a healthy diet being a key factor in revision success. Not that I ate all healthily at uni...oops
http://sciencebehindscoop.blogspot.co.uk/2012/05/studying-stay-clear-of-sugar.html
i actually had 3 exams on consecutive days so its practically impossible to revise EVERYTHING in less than 24 hours... but i tried. :frown:

That seems good for history... but r these for essays too?
Original post by deano0417
Im in a similar situation, I just started yesterday so I am hitting it fast and hitting it hard, first exam on the 22nd and I am revising around 4-6 hours a day at the moment, just think of it this way, after the exams that's it you can chill the f*** out of the next 3 months.

But for how to revise I personally use flash cards and my notes, I condense my notes for example my 15 page history booklet on Kennedy was condensed to around 3-4 pages by cutting out the crap and then after condensation has taken place I write out my flash cards an example being on one side "How many hamlets were there by the end of 1963" and the other side having the answer on. I then use those little paper shaped things that stop your paper from like creasing as easily. Whack my stapled together booklet of condensed notes in there with my flash cards. Then when I need to revise I use my flash cards, if I find one I can't do I quickly skim over it in my notes and then try again.
Reply 1006
im so damn stressed out.
How do people specifically link and understand concepts rather than rote memorisation? I been trying for too long and wondering if anyone has solid methods to do
Reply 1008
can i revise everything properly in 2weeks? :/ and still end up with an A/B?
Original post by Raj K
can i revise everything properly in 2weeks? :/ and still end up with an A/B?

You can but depends on what you're doing in your study session. How much you got left?
Original post by Vanny17
I worked very hard for my As level exams but came out with very bad grades. I read during every break/ lunch and sometimes 4 hours straight. I worked through EVERY past papers, made revision notes, cut out on social life and always read before every new chapter. My teachers and students said I had potential to get AAAB grades. How come I messed up? Please tell me what I did wrong. Share your revision tips as well! Please. My subjects are biology, chemistry, Religious Studies and sociology. Thanks.

hmmm .. you have basically overworked your brain :/ i find that i used to do the same , read for hours on end but when it came to sitting down and thinking about what i learnt within them 4 hours, i could only recall a around 60 % of what i actually read ... so i started reading in smaller chunks , the best advice i can give you is ' you are your best resource' so TAKE care of your self , regular sleep , always eat or have some food while revising; i find that i dont get sleepy while i eat fruit or nuts , and another thing that works for me is just dancing around or doing some type of exercise , it wakes you up and gets you more alert and puts you in the right mind set , i tend to get my self hyper and enthusiastic before exams and play little fun mind games with my friends just to get into a positive mood :smile: .
Reply 1011
Original post by LifeIsGood
You can but depends on what you're doing in your study session. How much you got left?

Thanks for replying (: lifeisgood for you but not for me lol! errr...well i dont know how to prioritise my time..i have 2 exams next week (wednesday and thursday) then 1 whole week gap for the next and straight after 2 weeks when we break up for half term..i have 3 exams (so yeah literally 2 weeks to cram everything in my brain is gonna burst) and those 3 exams are all together in 1 week (tues, wed, thurs) -no gap..then another 1 gap week for my final exam.. sorryyy for long reply!! but do u think i should just revise for the exams that are coming up soon..and then when one's over revise for the next coming up..and soo on..???
Personally, I think that all distractions MUST GO! That means:
Giving your phone to your parent or carer until exams are over - only use it when you need it.
Un-plug bedroom television
De-activate Facebook etc

For me, I find that using as many senses as possible whilst revising is really useful:
Listening to audio revision (different poem analyses on youtube)
watching revision videos or using images and colours to help me to remember things

or generally just finding alternative ways of revising :smile:
Reply 1013
just eat badam yaaaarrrrr
For essay based subjects: do not do extra reading. Memorise what you can from textbooks, and parrot it back. You are a trained monkey doing tricks, and don't try to be clever.

This advice saved my Psychology grade. My psychology teacher said to me after my Jan module came back a B: "I feel awful saying this to you, as I love what you're doing. But you need to stop thinking. Just keep to the textbook and repeat it back, don't think about things in depth." And what do you know, my next exam came back an A. :smile: Pity I didn't apply it to RS. And then do some work on physics in the AS to rescue that grade :frown: I retook physics AS level to get an A overall for AS, but a friendly E on one of my A2 papers wasn't helpful, so I got a C in the end for A2.

I'm hoping that they will enjoy outside reading in university exams, because otherwise I am screwed, because I talked about how we only recently lost our penis barbs, that female spotted hyenas have male genitalia, and that some species of male anglerfish attach to the female and disintegrate to a pair of parasitic gonads. :biggrin:
It was on topic, it was an essay on sexual dimorphism and mating strategies.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Raj K
just eat badam yaaaarrrrr

From what i've read, you're doing pretty **** regarding your education. Trying to cram everything. Instead of trying to be funny, perhaps do some revision instead of wasting your time making yourself look like a pratt.
Reply 1016
Original post by NabilKhan
From what i've read, you're doing pretty **** regarding your education. Trying to cram everything. Instead of trying to be funny, perhaps do some revision instead of wasting your time making yourself look like a pratt.

errrr you dont even know me dude and im not even doing **** in my education thankyou very much you're saying that like you know my full history of results. You can say what you want it has no affect on me - if u disliked my comment i dont really care!!
Original post by LifeIsGood
How do people specifically link and understand concepts rather than rote memorisation? I been trying for too long and wondering if anyone has solid methods to do

SPIDER DIAGRAMS. So many spider diagrams...
Original post by Vanny17
I worked very hard for my As level exams but came out with very bad grades. I read during every break/ lunch and sometimes 4 hours straight. I worked through EVERY past papers, made revision notes, cut out on social life and always read before every new chapter. My teachers and students said I had potential to get AAAB grades. How come I messed up? Please tell me what I did wrong. Share your revision tips as well! Please. My subjects are biology, chemistry, Religious Studies and sociology. Thanks.

revising isnt hard, keeping what u have learned is the hard bit, after you have revised a topic pick a new peice of paper and write everything you reember from it. keep doing this till you are able to get all the points needed down
Original post by CurtisDean
Personally, I think that all distractions MUST GO! That means:
Giving your phone to your parent or carer until exams are over - only use it when you need it.
Un-plug bedroom television
De-activate Facebook etc

For me, I find that using as many senses as possible whilst revising is really useful:
Listening to audio revision (different poem analyses on youtube)
watching revision videos or using images and colours to help me to remember things

or generally just finding alternative ways of revising :smile:

i agree with everyhting but i dont think everything needs to go, as long as u do them in moderation it is fine

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending