The Student Room Group

AQA GCSE Biology Unit 2, May 21st

NEW SPEC
So I haven't seen a thread yet and the exam is coming up very soon so lets discuss. Please include any past papers, revision techniques and questions to check that we understand the topics only a few days left.
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hello :smile:
Its not hard, revised like 3 days before for half an hour and got a B, if i did revise propally I would have got an A maybe.
http://web.aqa.org.uk/admin/qp-ms_finder.php?id=01
I tend to do mind maps, quiz cars, mum tests me, bitesize past papers (which the above link is for)
Reply 2
For me, this is the hardest Biology Unit of the 3 (or 4).

You just need to do past paper after past paper. There's a lot more knowledge in this topic than in U3, and the questions were worded very weirdly for me last June. I still managed to get an A, but it was my lowest Science mark by far.

Perhaps it's a good idea, then, for you to look at the June 2011 paper.

-shrugs- I do it now and get a much higher mark, so maybe it was a slip-up.

Good luck either way!
Reply 3
The last paper (January 2012) was unbelievably hard. Have you tried that one in class?
I did the january exam in 2012 and found it so hard. I'd done all the best papers, got A*'s on all of them, some full ums and for that paper I got a B....hoping the resit next week will be easier!
Reply 5
My teacher predicts a similar paper to January 2012 :frown:
The AQA website does not publish the most recent set of papers, i.e. January 2012.

Any idea where I might get my hands on this? I'm a private - learn at home student.

Cheers
i'm retaking this unit, what do people think will come up?
I've done a post-it on each page of B2 in my CGP AQA Additional Science Revision guide. Overall, I feel like I know the topic quite well due to this book. :yeah:

I've downloaded all 8 of the available past papers from the AQA website. I did the June 2009 one yesterday without going over my notes and I just scraped an A. So this weekend I'm going to go over my notes and do as many past papers as possible so I can get an A* in the real thing.

Until then, I need to finish my notes on C2, which I am also going to be doing next week, on the 24th.
Original post by beth_loves_tom
i'm retaking this unit, what do people think will come up?

You can download the specifcation from here:
-go to page 32

http://web.aqa.org.uk/qual/pdf/AQA-4463-W-SP-12.PDF
Reply 10
I have this coming up too! D:
Haven't done past papers yet but will do this weekend.

scared.scared.scared.

Got an A in the January 2012 paper- was reasonable but hoping for A*
Urgh, I'm not looking forward to this exam. My teacher keeps on telling us that we need to put "as much detail as possible" to get the marks. I find that if you learn what they ask for then you can pretty much answer any question they throw at you.

Still, when you have a C2, C3, English Lit and Design Tech exam in the same week, you find it hard to focus revision. -_-
Original post by Scruff the cat
The AQA website does not publish the most recent set of papers, i.e. January 2012.

Any idea where I might get my hands on this? I'm a private - learn at home student.

Cheers

You will have to buy it from AQA, they post it to you, it's only about £3-£4, if you order the paper don't forget to order the mark scheme too.

http://shop.aqa.org.uk/main.asp?category=GCSE
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2006181

If you check on that calculator, for full 100/100 UMS for U2, you need 37/45. Anything higher than that for the January paper is unnecessary.

That could change for this June though, so aim as high as you can :biggrin: (shouldn't change too much, hopefully)
Reply 14
Anybody got any good last minute revision tips? Been revising for the last week for Bio, been incredibly busy due to drama after school rehersals. I'm sitting higher tier paper, Hope to get a C, I think I'm going to struggle with the Chemistry paper. If I was to get a C in bio and a C in physics but a D in chemistry, what would my overall grade be?
Reply 15
COOL,, Im doing this exam tommorow,

The guy that posted the exam papers the un it 2 and unit 3 give me the marksheme

THANKS ifyou do help me:biggrin:
(edited 11 years ago)
Thanks a lot - have you got the Mark Schemes by any chance?
Reply 17
Original post by JackWilde
Anybody got any good last minute revision tips? Been revising for the last week for Bio, been incredibly busy due to drama after school rehersals. I'm sitting higher tier paper, Hope to get a C, I think I'm going to struggle with the Chemistry paper. If I was to get a C in bio and a C in physics but a D in chemistry, what would my overall grade be?

it depends if they are high Cs or not, if they were low you would probably get a D, although if it was a high D and medium/high Cs you would probably get a C overall :smile: Good Luck!
Reply 18
How did everyone find the exam this is for people on new spec and someone needs to make a mark scheme for this exam aswell.
I thought it was quite easy, but I'm beginning to pick faults with nearly all my answers!

Quick Reply