The Student Room Group

Geography OCR B 18th June GCSE

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by Sheel1
Maybe im doing a different one from you ^_^, mine ( Higher ) was about ageing popilation so im 100% saw population and settlement wont come in :tongue:

even if you did the june 2012 sdme population and settlement will come up because if was just a resit for most people. Rivers an coast won't come up but the other 3 topics willl :P
Haven't revised properly, don't know a thing! :eek:

KMA, negger!!!:angry:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 82
Original post by Me123456789
Haven't revised properly, don't know a thing! :eek:

Me too, was apnicky erlier. now I have settle,d it will be fine
Reply 83
Really worried about the exam tomorrow any tips? :s-smilie:
Original post by Dandaman9999
Oh right, can you please post it :smile:

its the top one xx
Has anyone got a case study about Tourism in Thailand? x
Case studies - 33%
Theory - 33%
Geog Skills - i.e map skills, photo and graph interpretation 33%

Case studies .... dates, short, medium, long term effects and responses.

Can you apply elements of sustainability to questions (S.E.E - social, environmental, economic) if called upon? Remember back to the SDME??

Don't use words such as 'things', 'stuff' and defo not 'etc'

You have three sections to answer

Section1. Hazards

..... you have a choice of questions in each section. You will have to answer either a section on climatic hazards (drought or tropical storms) or tectonic hazards (earthquakes & volcanoes). You answer either question 1a or 1b.

Look at last years' paper ..... they asked about drought (climatic) and volcanoes (tectonic). Revise tropical storms and earthquakes carefully as they haven't yet come up on the terminal exam. Of course, look over your notes on droughts and volcanoes just in case!!

Section 2 - Population & Settlement

... you have a choice of two questions, population or settlement. There may be some elements of cross over in both questions so study both carefully. You will answer either question 2a or 2b

Population - last year there was a lot of stuff on population pyramids. Make sure you know this stuff but perhaps focus your revision on other population models like th demographic transition model. Ageing populations also came up so again, look over your case studies but perhaps focus your attention on youthful populations ...... There was also an 8 mark question on population management strategies (one child policy) so make sure you are prepared for perhaps a migration (internal or external) 8 marker (Usa - Mexico, Poland to UK etc)

Settlement - Last year there was a big focus on squatter settlements (favelas, shanty towns) and counterurbanisation. Makes sure you look over your notes on these but perhaps be looking at sustainable settlements, urban models, the changing pattern of land use in MEDCC cities and zones of a city. Be prepared for an OS map skills question integrated into this section.

There was an 8 mark question on the changing provision of retail (e-tailing ebay, Amazon, out of town shopping centres etc) so again, be aware of this but focus your revision on the areas outlined above. This topic could still come up for a 3 or 5 mark question ....... or they might give you a site to look at on the map and you have to give the pro's and con's for locating an out of town centre etc etc..... Again 4 and 6 fig grid references could be worth brushing up on.

Section 3. Economic Development

Sorry people, this has never come up before in the final exam as last years' Y11 were tested on the unit in their SDME. This means that you need to revise for everything!! You will need to answer either question 3a or 3b.

Hope the revision goes well.

Remember, you have 30 minutes per section tomorrow so don't fall behind in the early stages ...

Revision resources here if you need them

http://www.geographypods.com/terminal-exam-18th-june-2012.html

Good luck

geographypods
(edited 11 years ago)
The hazard question on last year paper asked to " Name and locate an example of a tectonic Hazard in an LEDC" which means you can either choose earthquake and volcano. Which means hopefully are paper will be on a tectonic hazard in an MEDC
Original post by strawberryrocks
The hazard question on last year paper asked to " Name and locate an example of a tectonic Hazard in an LEDC" which means you can either choose earthquake and volcano. Which means hopefully are paper will be on a tectonic hazard in an MEDC

Good spot and good advice.
Reply 89
Original post by strawberryrocks

This was also the case for the climatic hazard question so again, it's likely to be an
MEDC as well
Reply 90
You can see some past paper Economic Deveopment questions by looking at the Short Course papers from June 2011 and 2010. They have the same style questions, but only 2 themes are examined (Rivers & Coasts and Economic Development).
June 2010: http://pdf.ocr.org.uk/download/pp_10_jun/ocr_57737_pp_10_jun_gcse_a772_02.pdf?
June 2011: http://pdf.ocr.org.uk/download/pp_11_jun/ocr_66024_pp_11_jun_gce_ua772_02.pdf?
If I learnt a tectonic hazard should I still bother learning a climatic hazard?
Original post by InvertedLayman
If I learnt a tectonic hazard should I still bother learning a climatic hazard?

Well you might find the whole question harder so i'd learn both. Hope thats what you meant lol :smile:
Original post by bookworm786
Well you might find the whole question harder so i'd learn both. Hope thats what you meant lol :smile:

Well you see, there will be two question for each topic. And each question will ask for an example of a case study. There are only the following possible case studies for natural hazards:

Tectonic(Volcano or Earthquake)

Tropical (Hurricane/Cyclone)

The Hurricane/Cyclone case study has too much data. I already know 6 other case studies and only the earhquake case study for natural hazards. Is it really likely that I would be unable to answer any of the two natural hazard questions?
Reply 94
Original post by acsecnarf
even if you did the june 2012 sdme population and settlement will come up because if was just a resit for most people. Rivers an coast won't come up but the other 3 topics willl :P

I did rivers and coasts in January...so this would have been a re-sit for some people doing it in may. This doesn't make sense to me :colondollar::frown:
Original post by Sheel1
I did rivers and coasts in January...so this would have been a re-sit for some people doing it in may. This doesn't make sense to me :colondollar::frown:

Rivers and coasts aren't coming up because they assume most people did the SDME on that topic.
Original post by InvertedLayman
Well you see, there will be two question for each topic. And each question will ask for an example of a case study. There are only the following possible case studies for natural hazards:

Tectonic(Volcano or Earthquake)

Tropical (Hurricane/Cyclone)

The Hurricane/Cyclone case study has too much data. I already know 6 other case studies and only the earhquake case study for natural hazards. Is it really likely that I would be unable to answer any of the two natural hazard questions?

Yeah i just realised the stupid mistake i made in my comment - sorry.

I don't think you need to worry. You only need to know one natural hazard in an medc and one in an ledc. Plus i've only learnt hurricane katrina and drought in Kenya. Seriously you don't need to know absolutely everything about them so don't worry :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 97
Is rivers and coasts in this exam because the spec said it is however our teacher told us it wouldnt be but he's not reliable
No rivers and coasts. 100% sure.
Reply 99
Original post by geographypods
No rivers and coasts. 100% sure.

Thanks very much :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest