The Student Room Group

Hitch-hiking to Morocco for Charity!

Hey everyone,

I am currently in my second year at Leeds University, studying Automotive Engineering. I decided that alongside my studies i would do something for charity, and the hitch hike to Morocco seemed just about mental enough for me to do!

Basically, i will be hitch-hiking from Leeds to Morocco, setting off in the easter holidays. The journey is over 2000 miles, and will be an incredible experience. The charity which i am doing it for is called Link Community Development (LCD : http://www.lcd.org.uk) who concentrate on giving children in underprivileged countries an eduction; something we all take for granted.

I would be very much appreciative if you could join my facebook group for the hike at : http://leedsac.facebook.com/group.php?gid=19668810412

My target is to raise £300, so if anyone would like to sponsor me then that would be even better! However small a donation is, its still very much appreciated! You can donate online via this link :

http://www.justgiving.com/tjmorocco

Its just like using amazon, but instead of buying things you are donating to a very valuable cause!

If anyone wants any more info on the hitch, or indeed about leeds university dont hesitate to contact me on here/facebook!

Thanks for your time,

Tom
can you say "kidnapped and bummed"
Reply 2
That sounds pretty dangerous mate, have you really throught it through?
Reply 3
I'm sure there was a guy on TSR who did exactly the same thing. I can't remember his name right now though.

Edit: Remembered now, it was Carl.
Reply 4
Its organised via the charity. We are tracked throughout the journey - in a group of 3 with 2 of my mates. Hundreds of students do it every year, no worries =) Sure there are dangers, but there are dangers in everything... whats to say someone wont put a bag over your head and kidnap you when you are walking home from a night out? Probably just as likely. We call in to the charity daily to let them know of our progress, and if we dont they send out the search parties. You only live once, and when you are young is when you can do this kind of thing. If you check out the charities website it details the hitch and past experiences from it!
Rutter knows best!
can you say "kidnapped and bummed"

even if he can it won't stop it from happening.

How the hell are you planning to hitchhike?? Technically, you could still be doing it in 4 years time..
Reply 6
the wolf at door
even if he can it won't stop it from happening.

How the hell are you planning to hitchhike?? Technically, you could still be doing it in 4 years time..

Its very true. At the end of the day, it relies on people being positive towards young people doing something for charity. There have been people completing the hitch in as little as 38 hours, whereas some people take a week or two weeks. Its an adventure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hvD6q9A7aA

Its an excuse to go abroad with some friends, on a budget, and most importantly to raise some money for a worthy cause. Yeah there are risks, but there are risks in every day life so i am more than willing to take what little risk there is in it and go for it!
Reply 7
It's not like you do it alone; you go in a group.

Loads of mummies' boys and spoilt little rich girls went last year from our uni so it really cannot be that perilous an experience.
Reply 9
A mate of mine who goes to York university done this last year, no idea how much he raised, I sponsored him a few quid though. He seemed to think it was a good crack and if it was that dangerous they wouldn't have been doing it for years. Besides you're raising money for a good cause so why not give it a go. Good luck mate.
Noz
A mate of mine who goes to York university done this last year, no idea how much he raised, I sponsored him a few quid though. He seemed to think it was a good crack and if it was that dangerous they wouldn't have been doing it for years. Besides you're raising money for a good cause so why not give it a go. Good luck mate.

Loads of people from York do it. They all seem to enjoy it too. Sounds like a bit of a nightmare to me, lots of waiting around and getting lost from what I've heard. But hey, they like it and it's for charity so it's a good idea I guess. :s-smilie:
Reply 11
I wish you the best of luck my friend. I think its a really admirable thing you're doing.
Reply 12
Yeh im well impressed! I was going to go to the meeting at our uni for it but I couldnt find anyone else who was interested.. Is there a website for it so I can get involved? I've got some people who are up for it now but I couldnt find anything on google.

Cheers.
Reply 13
If you go onto the charities website which i posted on the first post of this topic, you can get to information about registering for the hitch if you clock on the 'events' link and then click on 'morocco hitch' :smile:
Reply 14
Me too!!!

See you on the road.

Nelson, if you can't find a partner from your Uni the charity will pair you up with someone. Do it!! :gthumb:
can we get a photo of you sticking your thumb out trying to hitch a lift on a boeing 747

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending