The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
if oxford do- i'm screwed, nobody mentioned it to me though.
Reply 2
Generally speaking I think it is but, as always, there'll be variations.

I know that at Durham they are unless the student has a concession (usually given for medical reasons) that will allow them to sit as a "first sit" (ie. uncapped with possibility of resitting)
Reply 3
What does the question mean? Only 40% of students can resit an exam?
Reply 4
Unless you have a medical reason substantiated by proof from a doctors note, all resits are capped at 40% at Hull :smile:
Reply 5
Pickford
What does the question mean? Only 40% of students can resit an exam?

In the first sitting the theoretical maximum score is 100%, if you retake they cap your maximum mark at 40% no matter how good your answer is.
Reply 6
Say you fail the exam by getting 38% (at most uni's the pass mark in an exam will be 40%), when you retake the exam no matter how well you do i.e. you get 80% of it correct your score will be recorded as 40% i.e. basic pass.

This is for discussion of uni exams not A levels :wink:
(edited 3 years ago)
I don't think our resits are capped but I'm not sure. If you don't have a reason for a resit then you need to pay though.
Exactly.

If you failed and resit, the maximum mark you can be awarded is 40%. It was like this when I was at Manchester Uni... seems like standard practise for me. The only time when this doesn't happen is if you have a valid reason for not doing well (illness, for example).

If this wasn't the case, why wouldn't people only study for half their exams and fail the other half on purpose to get more study time for them when they resit?
(edited 3 years ago)
same here
Same at Kent.
Reply 11
fire2burn

This is for discussion of uni exams not A levels :wink:

I am SO RELIEVED by this.
40% of what? I resat literally every paper of my AS Chemistry as well as A2 Organic Chemistry and Cambridge didn't seem to particularly mind...:dontknow:
Craghyrax
40% of what? I resat literally every paper of my AS Chemistry as well as A2 Organic Chemistry and Cambridge didn't seem to particularly mind...:dontknow:

university modules, not a-levels :smile:
Craghyrax

:facepalm: Try reading through a few posts or maybe even looking at the forum this was posted on before replying.

Does this apply to all years? Even the first year? It doesn't matter because 40% is a pass anyway and the first year isn't recorded but they haven't told us anything about this.
Yup, it's the same in Cardiff. Places like the Royal Welsh College of Music and Drama do it too, but rather annoyingly they let one kid resit his recital because his saxophone was broken (he had plenty of time to fix it) even though he still managed to pass it.
Ar5enal Fan
:facepalm: Try reading through a few posts or maybe even looking at the forum this was posted on before replying.
I did. I still found the explanation a bit unclear.
angelmxxx
university modules, not a-levels :smile:

Ok. See what it meant now.

Nobody is allowed to do any resits at all at Cambridge, hence why I hadn't heard of it.
Ar5enal Fan

Does this apply to all years? Even the first year? It doesn't matter because 40% is a pass anyway and the first year isn't recorded but they haven't told us anything about this.

Yup, it applies to every year. Basically, you need to pass all your modules (or most of them) to get an Honours degree, which is why you are able to resit them, but for each individual module you only have one chance of getting above a third. Therefore, people who fail second and third year modules the first time round not only have to resit them but it's significantly harder for them to get a 1st/2:1 overall.

However this is counterbalanced by the fact that your overall degree classification is heavily weighted towards your final year (in Cardiff it's 30% second year, 70% third year for three year degrees), so a failed module in any year that isn't your last isn't a disaster as long as you are able to pass it the second time round.
Reply 19
lukedeal
Mine does just like to know whether this is universal or different between unis

It's different between unis and departments.

I know Edinburgh do cap for geology but not for maths or chemistry, for example.

Latest