The Student Room Group

why do some people lie about being sexually abused

Im just wondering, Ive read stories that people made up they were sexually abused and told people they were

Were they just looking for attention ? had nothing better to do ? feeling lonely ?
Reply 1
I can only assume it would be for attention.
Some are probably compulsive liars.
Reply 3
Attention seeker. I know a girl in high school who did this...

Pathetic...
Reply 4
Same as all of the above.
Reply 5
If I never, I'd be a hypocrite.

You can't watch child rape without at least saying you participate in it.
Reply 6
maybe for attention.
Reply 7
To win the X-factor.

I joke. :mmm:

It's not a very pleasant thought, OP. I don't think they should do it but attention may be one reason, yes.
Reply 8
possibly attention, many women do this because they end up going out getting drunk, meeting some guy and sleeping with him, then in the morning they feel guilty so make up that they were raped, **** makes me sick and it happens quite often, imo any woman who lies about being raped/abused etc and gets found out should have to serve the same amount of time that the guy who was supposed to have raped her would if he was convicted
Mental instability, mental delusions about abuse from dodgy hypnosis therapy
I'd say 70% of the time it's attention-seeking.
The other 30% would presumably be for lulz.
Some twisted people do it for money.
Some people do this as they feel that their real reasons for any "issues" (depression, self harm, eating disorder, anxiety) are not good enough, that they would be ridiculed as "pathetic" or "weak" as their real past was not serious enough acording to others (or sometimes theirselves) to explain their behaviour.

I do hate it when people do though... it makes people assume that we are all liers... but abuse DOES happen, rapes DO happen, incest DOES happen. Many people who have really experianced it will not tell anyone out of fear of being accused of lying, or of being blamed, or just simply of not being believed.

Those who lie about it are the minority. It's just that those stories appear in the media more than the real caes which makes it appear that more people lie than actually do
Like so many people said above, attention seeking I suppose. But there must be a reason behind for wanting attention and that's really what should be addressed instead of the lying itself.

shadow-light
I do hate it when people do though... it makes people assume that we are all liers... but abuse DOES happen, rapes DO happen, incest DOES happen. Many people who have really experianced it will not tell anyone out of fear of being accused of lying, or of being blamed, or just simply of not being believed.

This is exactly what I'm going to say.
I agree with shadow-light...Well to some extent. lord only knows why someone would lie about that? I actually was attackd by my ex boyfriend 3 years ago when I was 16 and had to undergo horrific examinations and police interviews, but he was a compulsive liar and convinced everyone who knew him that I had lied, and I got threatened, beaten up and abused so badly the case had to be dropped :frown: So it is painful and shocking to hear that people would lie about that...I mean, how do they ACTUALLY feel about it all? Do they have no morals?
Original post by CiggyCignet
I agree with shadow-light...Well to some extent. lord only knows why someone would lie about that? I actually was attackd by my ex boyfriend 3 years ago when I was 16 and had to undergo horrific examinations and police interviews, but he was a compulsive liar and convinced everyone who knew him that I had lied, and I got threatened, beaten up and abused so badly the case had to be dropped :frown: So it is painful and shocking to hear that people would lie about that...I mean, how do they ACTUALLY feel about it all? Do they have no morals?

This thread is nearly 2 years old :erm:
Reply 16
Original post by OmicronPersei8
This thread is nearly 2 years old :erm:

Wow! Yes it is. :s-smilie:
I know a girl who did something much worse...pretended her brother had died when he hadn't. No idea why...maybe for sympathy, for attention. Completely baffles my mind really.
Reply 18
I believe that very few people lie about sexual abuse.

The ones that do lie always have a motive and it is usually to get attention or for revenge

The liars ruin it for people telling the truth. Only 3% of sexual abuse cases get a conviction, most are dropped due to lack of evidence.

How does the law determine that the 'victim' is lying about the sexual abuse when so many true cases are dropped due to lack of evidence?

It is so sad

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending