The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Keeno89
You're obviously listening to the new KsE :p:

True. I'm not really a fan of their older stuff. 'My Last Serenade' isn't too bad though.

Keeno89

Parkway Drive are a bit like August Burns Red... when you first hear them you think wow that's pretty decent. but it soon wears thin when every song sounds the same. Or that's my opinion anyway... Too many breakdowns and absolutely no variation in vocals boring quickly for me at least

I know what you mean about ABR there isn't a lot of variation. Like Hatebreed I guess. If you like one song you like them all :p:
Reply 4141
skinnyeddy

I know what you mean about ABR there isn't a lot of variation. Like Hatebreed I guess. If you like one song you like them all :p:

When faced with a case like that, I only bother to listen to the best one of them :biggrin:

PS, are you on the Sonisphere Forums perchance? Your name/avatar seems familiar :smile:
corney91
When faced with a case like that, I only bother to listen to the best one of them :biggrin:

PS, are you on the Sonisphere Forums perchance? Your name/avatar seems familiar :smile:

I am! I joined at about the time of the second band announcement. I haven't been on for a while though. Do reckon this year will match up to last year? I've heard Rammstein are awesome live (even if I'm not a fan of their music).
Reply 4143
skinnyeddy
I am! I joined at about the time of the second band announcement. I haven't been on for a while though. Do reckon this year will match up to last year? I've heard Rammstein are awesome live (even if I'm not a fan of their music).

Undoubtedly: Link
I wasn't really a fan but I've started listening to them to get me prepared and I've found they've got quite a few great songs :smile:
Iron Maiden should be awesome live too :smile:
Plus, there's a lot of rumour about Soundgarden, which would be fantastic, but I reckon Download might get them :s-smilie:
I'm a big Placebo fan, so personally I'll definitely enjoy it :smile:
There's another announcement mid-February and I can't wait to see who else is playing :biggrin:
Are you thinking of going? :smile:
Reply 4144
Do people here like Tool?
Reply 4145
Abiraleft

The older Rock and Metal Soc posters did :wink: I do, was listening to Lateralus last night actually :biggrin: Have you heard of Rishloo? Get compared to Tool often but enough differences to make them stand out. I love their first album and the others are not bad
Reply 4146
Abiraleft

They're the main band that I've been meaning to get into but have never got round to listening to them :p:
http://www.myspace.com/immolation

New Immolation song is up. Music is alright I guess but it's definitely not their best, as far as I can tell listening through the ****** Myspace player the production sounds really clean, I thought the dirtier sound of albums like Close To A World Below suited their style better.

*expects no one to care and for everyone to go on talking about Parkway Drive or some other crap*
Reply 4148
69Crazyfists
Amen to that.

They're not Christian rock?
Reply 4149
concubine

New Immolation song is up. Music is alright I guess but it's definitely not their best, as far as I can tell listening through the ****** Myspace player the production sounds really clean, I thought the dirtier sound of albums like Close To A World Below suited their style better.

*expects no one to care and for everyone to go on talking about Parkway Drive or some other crap*

Maybe it's just me but by death metal standards, that's boring as ****. I'd rather listen to Parkway Drive than that... and I LOVE tech death :p:

New Arsis album has appeared.... it's weird. Seems they've totally ditched tech death and are now playing some weird hybrid of thrash and melodeath. It's getting dangerously close to sounding like Skeletonwitch with different vocals :eek:
corney91
Undoubtedly: Link
I wasn't really a fan but I've started listening to them to get me prepared and I've found they've got quite a few great songs :smile:
Iron Maiden should be awesome live too :smile:
Plus, there's a lot of rumour about Soundgarden, which would be fantastic, but I reckon Download might get them :s-smilie:
I'm a big Placebo fan, so personally I'll definitely enjoy it :smile:
There's another announcement mid-February and I can't wait to see who else is playing :biggrin:
Are you thinking of going? :smile:

I've listened to Rammsteins new album a bit recently(not the special edition though!) and the songs are pretty good. At first I found it hard to take them seriously just because they were singing in German but it's definitely growing on me. I've only heard one Placebo Song but I thought it was pretty good. I'm not sure about Soundgarden being at Sonisphere tbh, how big are they over here compared to America? I'm definitely looking forward to more SOAD reunion rumours :smile: that would be awesome.
Anyway, I want to go to at least one festival this year and exams will probably mean i can't go to Download. Sonisphere's date is pretty much perfect especially with an Extra day this year :smile:.
Reply 4151
concubine

You should have been in London tonight! INCANTATION ****** TORE THE PLACE UP!! And Hate were absolutely sensational as well, 10x the band Behemoth will ever be. Need to see Immolation hitting the road in the UK soon...
Reply 4152
Keeno89
Maybe it's just me but by death metal standards, that's boring as ****. I'd rather listen to Parkway Drive than that... and I LOVE tech death :p:

ohhh dear. i know each to his own, but if you ask me Death Metal = Incantation + Immolation + Suffocation

yeah sure tech death is great, but it's good to appreciate the old school stuff too.
Reply 4153
RJA
ohhh dear. i know each to his own, but if you ask me Death Metal = Incantation + Immolation + Suffocation

yeah sure tech death is great, but it's good to appreciate the old school stuff too.

I do like some old school death metal... but I've always found cannibal corpse/ suffocation really boring for some reason. I like Malevolent Creation and Obituary though strangely... The last Through the Eyes of the Dead album was good, and that was basically an old school type album. I'd still rather listen to stuff like old Cryptopsy, Gorod, Anata etc though.

Atm I'm on a prog binge. Seeing Oceansize in a couple of weeks so can't stop listening to them, Porcupine Tree, Rishloo and Tool. Oh and the First Signs of Frost album, that's really proggy in parts.

How very metal of me :p:
Reply 4154
skinnyeddy
I've listened to Rammsteins new album a bit recently(not the special edition though!) and the songs are pretty good. At first I found it hard to take them seriously just because they were singing in German but it's definitely growing on me. I've only heard one Placebo Song but I thought it was pretty good. I'm not sure about Soundgarden being at Sonisphere tbh, how big are they over here compared to America? I'm definitely looking forward to more SOAD reunion rumours :smile: that would be awesome.
Anyway, I want to go to at least one festival this year and exams will probably mean i can't go to Download. Sonisphere's date is pretty much perfect especially with an Extra day this year :smile:.

I know what you mean about the German, I learnt German for a few years and still didn't listen to them but now I've actually bothered to give them a chance I like it, especially after seeing videos of the live act :smile:
Placebo's "Once More With Feeling" singles album is very good, I'd highly recommend it (although it does vary between the styles they've tried out) :smile:
Not sure about Soungarden to be honest because I was practically a baby when they broke up and I've only been properly into music the last few years, plus I've only heard "A-Sides" but I really like it... Personally, I'd prefer System Of A Down instead of Soundgarden but I guess we'll see what happens :biggrin:
Yeah, the extra day came as a shock to me because I heard from Stuart Galbraith's own mouth that he wouldn't have a third day this year, but he did say on the announcement it was one of the most popular requests and I'm definitely not complaining :biggrin:

I've already bought my Sonisphere ticket and I really want to go to Bloodstock too, looking at the lineup, but there's only so much I can spend as a student so maybe I won't be able to go :frown:
Reply 4155
The older Rock and Metal Soc posters did I do, was listening to Lateralus last night actually Have you heard of Rishloo? Get compared to Tool often but enough differences to make them stand out. I love their first album and the others are not bad

Haven't heard of them, no. Thanks. :smile: .I love 'Disgutipated' from Lateralus. I also saw this recently, and thought it was great:

Reply 4156
Abiraleft
Haven't heard of them, no. Thanks. :smile: .I love 'Disgutipated' from Lateralus. I also saw this recently, and thought it was great:

Don't like that myself. It's weird for a band like them to be covering Led Zep :p:

Anyway here is the first song off the new Rishloo album, vocalist sounds quite similar to MJK, but he has a wider singing range :yep: Evident on the first album for sure. btw wee tip, when you are embedding youtube vids take away the 'v= ' bit, stops you getting that annoying big space. If you quote this you will see what I mean :p:

Oh and if you haven't heard of Oceansize give them a listen! Not really like tool at all, but amazing prog music. Has a very post rock ish vibe musically
Reply 4157
Favourite bands at the moment: Nirvana, Metallica, Alexisonfire and Iron Maiden :smile:
Reply 4158
Jacky_B
Favourite bands at the moment: Nirvana, Metallica, Alexisonfire and Iron Maiden :smile:

I love Alexisonfire, but Old Crows/Young Cardinals was poor IMO. George needs to go back to screaming :yes:

From last fm... "Your musical compatibility with JackyB92 is Very High

Music you have in common includes Textures, Alexisonfire, Soilwork, City and Colour and Porcupine Tree"

Mmm Textures. Pretty sure they have a new album out early this year. Would love Dallas to make another City and Colour album too
Reply 4159
Keeno89
I love Alexisonfire, but Old Crows/Young Cardinals was poor IMO. George needs to go back to screaming :yes:

From last fm... "Your musical compatibility with JackyB92 is Very High

Music you have in common includes Textures, Alexisonfire, Soilwork, City and Colour and Porcupine Tree"

Mmm Textures. Pretty sure they have a new album out early this year. Would love Dallas to make another City and Colour album too

Silhouettes was a very good album by Textures, not heard about a new one this year but I hope so :biggrin:

And I'm not sure about Alexisonfire, I personally like Old Crows/Young Cardinals. But its all personal preference I suppose.

Latest