The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by cowsforsale
I agree with 5/3/1 being unsuccessful which makes it quite astonishing just how he's managed to milk that template into 3 $20 e-books (possibly even more in the pipeline?).

Also, is Usama still around?//////

Yeah 5/3/1 was **** for me.

XYZ needs to stop asking questions and do some reading. If he understood how things worked better, he'd be able to answer a lot of the things he asks himself, and know why he's doing them rather than just blindly doing some kinda low volume BB style split with less reps, basically in no mans land between a BB routine and true PL routine.

Just reading this: http://madcow.hostzi.com/table_of_contents_thread.htm

Would help so much.

You don't have to do the madcow programme specifically, but at least go to some effort of learning why certain routines work, rather than just sprouting a load of crappy theories out from your own personal experience which isn't nearly encompassing enough. Doing random doubles and triples and stuff heavy every week is fine up until probably something like 2/3/4 plates or so, beyond that it gets a lot harder, and that's the reason you see so few people progressing beyond that. (At least without "assistance")

Everyone tends to have their strong lift too, which in the XYZ case is obviously squats, so you've managed to push a bit further doing something sub optimal with that.
(edited 12 years ago)
For example I wouldn't count biceps or triceps work as volume for getting the bench itself stronger. Likewise pull ups.

What have I not understood? You say you wouldn't count dips in this case as volume for getting the bench itself stronger. Where as I disagree in that dips do get your bench stronger.

Does anyone want to explain to me why things like Westside, 5/3/1, WS4SB, Matt Kroc's routine etc. etc. work then? If I'm being so stupid in what I do why do some of the best powerlifters in the world use it? Why does Louie Simmons tell them to work up to heavy 1-3 reps? Is he a complete idiot? Why does Matt Kroc work up to heavy 1-3 reps? Is he a complete idiot?

Also, sure squats may be a stronger lift relatively but what does that matter? Progress on all 4 main lifts has increased whilst I've done this.
(edited 12 years ago)
By triceps work I meant triceps isolations such as skull crushers and pull downs (likewise for biceps I meant biceps isolations like curls), not compounds like dips (likewise for biceps not compounds like chins). I wouldn't count isolations in weekly tonnage primarily because they are easy to recover from and do not necessarily help the bench that much, if at all.
Yes so fair enough you can take off curls and tricep finisher. Is that not quite a bit of volume?
Original post by Michael XYZ
Yes so fair enough you can take off curls and tricep finisher. Is that not quite a bit of volume?

Start with: http://madcow.hostzi.com/Topics/Training_Primer.htm lots of that you'll know, it's simple stuff but there's a couple of things on volume that are good too.

http://www.higher-faster-sports.com/PlannedOvertraining.html

Is especially relevant, and explains why you deload, and what a deload achieves etc.

http://www.elitefitness.com/forum/weight-training-weight-lifting/bill- - is on training to failure specifically

and a load of info on why 2-factor training etc is heard about less: http://www.elitefitness.com/forum/weight-training-weight-lifting/bill-starrs-5-x-5-program-variation-per-madcow2-thanx-so-here-k-up-now-375215-14.html#post4627437

Just read around. It should answer a lot of the questions you have. People aren't trying to attack you, just giving you suggestions which you are basically ignoring, countering with "well I've done this and it worked until now". Just because someone has worked for you up until now doesn't mean it's a good routine. Neither does it mean it'll continue to work in the future.

Some training is always going to better than no training, even if what you're doing isn't great.
What I want is someone to tell me why what I'm doing is inherently "wrong" or "bad" or "ineffective" when so many successful routines and people use similar ideas. That is all. Westside, WS4SB, 5/3/1 and many others.

I appreciate fully that 5x5 can work. What you said I could say the same to you - something is better than nothing, any routine will work to an extent etc. etc. What's the difference here?

I'd rather know why what I'm doing is seen as ineffective. Also, just put it out there, different things work for different people. How do you know that what I'm doing isn't the perfect routine for you? How do you know? You've never tried it, so how do you know?
Yes but it's no-one else's job to spoon feed you with this information and although sometimes this happens no-one is going to do it now that you've written countless paragraphs bitching about people helping you on Christmas day.
Christ, and I'm the one who always whines?

We can't have some form of debate here? It seems silly to tell me what I'm doing isn't really gonna work but then not really offer any kind of reply to why not, considering many successful routines and people have used some of the concepts.
(edited 12 years ago)
Fight
but it's christmas :frown:
What's your sig? I remember watching this show but not the name.
Finish him
What's your sig? I remember watching this show but not the name.

Bear in the Big Blue House
(edited 12 years ago)
Christ, and I'm the one who always whines?

We can't have some form of debate here? It seems silly to tell me what I'm doing isn't really gonna work but then not really offer any kind of reply to why not, considering many successful routines and people have used some of the concepts.

True,

but i think it's more the fact that your a little passive agressive when someone thinks what you're doing is dumb and tries to offer a little constructive critisism.

Also I don't think anyones rushing to write pages and pages on powerlifting training theory to some randomer on the internet on Christmas Day.
Original post by The Question
True,

but i think it's more the fact that your a little passive agressive when someone thinks what you're doing is dumb and tries to offer a little constructive critisism..

Real.

Talk.
took a week off due to travelling/ visiting family , came back and I've lost 5 lbs :/ ****'s set me at least 2 weeks back, but to make up for it i bought 60 quid worth of meat :wink:
Original post by Gallium
took a week off due to travelling/ visiting family , came back and I've lost 5 lbs :/ ****'s set me at least 2 weeks back, but to make up for it i bought 60 quid worth of meat :wink:

I've probably gained 5kg in the past few days :/!
Original post by cowsforsale
I've probably gained 5kg in the past few days :/!

wish that was the case, yesterday i ate a bowl of porridge, a 6inch sub and went bed :/ , plan is to gain 5kgs asap hopefully by mid/end feb then hit 80kg late april.
(edited 12 years ago)
protein just ran out, someone point me in the direction of some good whey or even decent 'mass gainer'
Yes, fair enough, my bad on the passive aggressiveness.

Latest