The Student Room Group
Students on campus Nottingham Trent University
Nottingham Trent University
Nottingham
Visit website

Anyone want a current NTU student to pester for questions?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Original post by Chlo_Bo
Hello, i've firmed a place at NTU to do sociology and i was wondering if you knew anything about trinity square i went to have a look round yesterday and loved it, it ticked all the boxes, but after reading this thread it seems like Goldsmiths is more popular. I'm worried i'll be out of the uni life in private halls and that i wont get the same expierence, would you reccomend uni halls to private halls? And what can you tell me about Trinity square? Thanks! can't wait to come to NTU fingers crossed :biggrin:

Hi, Congrats :smile: I know only know one person at Trinity square and i havent heard her say anything bad about it. Basically all i know is its a nice modern place right opposite one of the main shopping centres! Its literally minutes away from the city itself and not far from the university. I like goldsmiths but as ive said before i am biased as i live there!!! but it is cheaper than trinity and right opposite, but i always say if you looked at somewhere and you like it and get the right feeling go for that if you have checked it out fully.

If you can, i would give goldsmiths a call and see if you can view it, it is worth saving money if you can as a student!!

But you wont miss out on the experience of being a student, i know goldsmiths does freshers week and loads throughout the year, i dont know anything about trinity tho for that, but im sure they must do. x
Students on campus Nottingham Trent University
Nottingham Trent University
Nottingham
Visit website
Reply 101
Original post by blondie :)
NTU is my insurance, but I was wondering that if I came here, where would I be placed for accommodation? I have visions of being placed miles away in a house with a few people (if you've seen Fresh Meat :tongue:) and I won't have the whole halls 'experience'. :smile:

Just thought I'd chip in. I'm currently a 3rd year student at NTU so will be leaving this year :frown: but NTU was my insurance choice too.
You are not guaranteed accommodation!

The university do however, if NTU is insurance choice or you get a place through clearing, put on a housing event (or they did when I started, I'm sure they still do this). Basically you come up for 2 days to find a house. The first night they put on entertainment/food/play games so you can interact with others and get to know a few people in the hope that you end up looking for a house together with them :smile: We got to stay in the halls that night.

No you don't get the 'halls' experience but being in a house is just as good. I felt we all had to make more of an effort to make friends on nights out because we couldn't just stick with a group of people from halls, but this increases your confidence and you'll probably end up with as many, if not more, friends than those staying in halls :smile:

Original post by akwasiboakye
Hi, before I ask my question, I'd just like to reiterate what others have said on this thread that it's great that you've started this thread as there are so many people (as you can see) who have important questions about university but have no one to really ask. And even though I know a couple people at Trent already, you can never have too much info on something like this.

Ok onto the question, I saw on an answer you gave to a earlier question that you don't think Blenheim's safe and I was just wondering as to why that was. Oh and also Between Sandby, Hampden Hall and Goldsmith Court, which would you recommend? I'm mainly looking for a nice/lively social scene, but a nice room wouldn't go a miss either lol :biggrin:

Many Thanks

Hi, i'm a current NTU student, as you can see from my above comment :smile: My housemate used to live in Blenheim and she had no problems, there is a big hill to walk up apparently though.

You will find lots of people telling you it is unsafe because it is in St Anns, which yes does have a bad reputation, but half the people who state this don't live in St Anns!
My student house is in St Anns. I have lived here for two years and have had absolutely no problems whatsoever. The neighbours are lovely and the street is pretty quiet. You will find, as with a lot of rough areas in the UK, that the trouble makers dont 'screw over their own/**** on their own doorstep' so to speak. :mmm:
Reply 102
Original post by dimdum
Heyy, your replies are really helpful for everyone I guess. I am an international student with not a very warm pocket. So what internet sites should I be looking for accommodation and what factors do I need to take in account? What does certain properties not being safe mean? What is the cheapest I can get in accommodations which the university offers and what will I be foregoing in terms of facilities and all if I go for the cheaper ones?

Then whats the cheapest that can be had in the private sector? The only thing I would prefer is a private washroom and a shower, but that can be compromised upon as well if the cost runs too high. Then again the the property should not be that far from the City Campus because then the commuting cost would come in to play. So the point is I am coming for a Postgraduate program having already spent quite a bit of my parent's money on my undergraduate, so I want to be as much of a miser as possible. However, security concerns, private washroom do play an important role.

Plus I am an international student (would be coming from Pakistan) with no experience of living abroad so I don't even know what factors I am discounting and what factors I should be properly paying attention to. Therefore my ignorance on all matters pertaining to booking accommodation (and even other stuff) is supreme.

Last question, what is the scope for part-time jobs for international students. Is it even possible to do a job along with GDL (which I have been admitted for)?

Have asked too many questions already but in my defense -international student people international student. Thank you

As you are a postgrad student I would say it would be more beneficial for you to look at privately owned halls.
Check out iQ here they have limited rooms left so if you like the look of them then act fast!
There is also Victoria Halls which are quite nice, Glasshouse and Trinity Square :smile:

Congratualtions on the offer to study GDL, Nottingham Law School is a great Law school (I'm totally biased :tongue:)
As for the part-time jobs it is the same anywhere in the UK. You just have to keep trying and hope you are lucky enough to get something.
I was fortunate enough to get a job in my second year and we have nearly 10 CVs handed in every single week! :redface:
Reply 103
Hi!
I've been looking at the private accommodation like Goldsmith Court, Glasshouse and IQ, but I because I have a conditional offer, i was wondering if you knew if they would refund the deposit if I dont meet the requirments of my offer?

Thanks for your help :smile:
Reply 104
Original post by ~carly~
Hey,

Im a current student at NTU, so if anyone wants me to answer any questions, quote me and i will do my best.

I wish i had people to speak to that were current students before i started at uni there. So please ask.

:smile:

Facebook group for 2012-13 goldsmith court students - http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100003637977703

Hey, I have loads of questions. I think NTU will be my first choice to do graphic design. Im just really unsure about which accommodation to go for. Ideally I'd like an en-suite and to be close to both the uni and city centre, I was thinking simpsons as its the uni's accommodation, but its quite far away, so i was considering private sector accommodation instead and wanted to know which private sector accommodation you think would be better? Also when is best to apply for it, like wait and apply for university owned and if i don't get that then apply for private sector or just apply straight away for it. The NTU website said something about allocating private accommodation when all the universities is fully booked, and then your put with all other first year students. (Im worried about not being with other first year students in private sector too) .....sorry for all the questions
Reply 105
Im in private accommodation, they are halls, but right next to and in front of the main university buildings, literally about 5- 10 mins from city centre and in the centre of the campus.

Im not sure when i applied, but i think i had an offer, with private accommodation you should make sure what their conditions are.
If you do go for private accommodation, for example goldsmith court, you can say that you want to be with first years and they will always try and do this.

Good Luck

:smile:

Original post by bethrc
Hey, I have loads of questions. I think NTU will be my first choice to do graphic design. Im just really unsure about which accommodation to go for. Ideally I'd like an en-suite and to be close to both the uni and city centre, I was thinking simpsons as its the uni's accommodation, but its quite far away, so i was considering private sector accommodation instead and wanted to know which private sector accommodation you think would be better? Also when is best to apply for it, like wait and apply for university owned and if i don't get that then apply for private sector or just apply straight away for it. The NTU website said something about allocating private accommodation when all the universities is fully booked, and then your put with all other first year students. (Im worried about not being with other first year students in private sector too) .....sorry for all the questions
Reply 106
Original post by EmilyJay
Hi!
I've been looking at the private accommodation like Goldsmith Court, Glasshouse and IQ, but I because I have a conditional offer, i was wondering if you knew if they would refund the deposit if I dont meet the requirments of my offer?

Thanks for your help :smile:

Hi, I saw no-one had answered your question and I think it's possibly because everyone is unsure as to the correct answer :tongue:
I don't think Victoria Halls, for instance, have a deposit scheme so in that instance you wouldn't lose anything.

Your best option is to ring or e-mail the private accommodation and ask them directly. Perhaps if you find out you could post back here in case anyone else is wondering the same! I'm sure you will meet your requirements anyway :biggrin:
Reply 107
Original post by ~carly~
I am :smile: its great in my opinion. The kitchens are nicer than gill street and sandby they are more modern, if you get one of the bigger flats, i think you get the kitchens above the accommodation office.

Goldsmiths does do freshers, normally meet at a flat or on the terrace outside. x

thanks for the reply! one more question, i'm thinking of trying to book gill street on may 14th, and if i dont get that will send my deposit off to goldsmiths court, but i'm worried goldsmiths will be all out of rooms :s-smilie: do you know how quickly rooms ran out when you were booking/how soon after halls opened? x
Reply 108
Hey

I was just wondering if anybody knew what kind of people stay at the accomdations?
I mean i am tied between Gill Street/Trinity Square/Goldsmiths Court - But i'd like to know where the British Indians live the most from these accommodation?
Good luck everyone in getting in NTU
Reply 109
Original post by puj1
Hey

I was just wondering if anybody knew what kind of people stay at the accomdations?
I mean i am tied between Gill Street/Trinity Square/Goldsmiths Court - But i'd like to know where the British Indians live the most from these accommodation?
Good luck everyone in getting in NTU

Hmmm I'm not sure there is one single place you will find one ethnicity. There's a big mixture everywhere you go!

I know a few British Indian people, from my seminar groups, lived in Trinity Square or Glasshouse. Even if you don't find yourself in a flat with or living near other British Indians there are societies for different ethnicities and you will make friends on your course too. This might even be an advantage because you will then have a bigger group of friends :smile:
Good luck!
Reply 110
Original post by imy7
thanks for the reply! one more question, i'm thinking of trying to book gill street on may 14th, and if i dont get that will send my deposit off to goldsmiths court, but i'm worried goldsmiths will be all out of rooms :s-smilie: do you know how quickly rooms ran out when you were booking/how soon after halls opened? x

I can't answer your question completely, but I should imagine that once all the University owned accommodation is full, the private halls will fill up pretty quickly (maybe within a week or 2). Saying that, it really depends on other peoples budgets and preferences as someone else may prefer to live in Glasshouse etc. There are 378 en-suite rooms in Goldsmith Court-as well as a few En-suite studios/One bedroom flats- so that's not a massive amount when you consider how many students will be arriving in September!

If you can't get anything in Goldsmith court then check out iQ here, Victoria Halls which are quite nice, Glasshouse and Trinity Square .
you wont be homeless :tongue:
Reply 111
hello!

I simply have no idea where I should live! I am looking for somewhere with a great social atmosphere and I do want an ensuite.

I am thinking about blenheim, sandby or simpsons? any insider info would be very much appreciated, or just any pros or cons.

Thankyou! :smile:
Reply 112
Original post by dacapo
hello!

I simply have no idea where I should live! I am looking for somewhere with a great social atmosphere and I do want an ensuite.

I am thinking about blenheim, sandby or simpsons? any insider info would be very much appreciated, or just any pros or cons.

Thankyou! :smile:

Anywhere with students will have a great social atmosphere :tongue: And nearly all Uni halls have ensuites.
It depends on your budget. Halls like Gill Street, Sandby and Hampden are more expensive as they are 'on site' accommodation. You could look at the Simpsons and norton Court- these are both ensuite but are further away from the city campus. Others, such as Mill house and Clarendon Court are slightly cheaper as they have shared bathrooms.

You could always check ou private accommodation as well. Check out my post above yours, there are links in it :smile:
Reply 113
Original post by Jaydiee
Hmmm I'm not sure there is one single place you will find one ethnicity. There's a big mixture everywhere you go!

I know a few British Indian people, from my seminar groups, lived in Trinity Square or Glasshouse. Even if you don't find yourself in a flat with or living near other British Indians there are societies for different ethnicities and you will make friends on your course too. This might even be an advantage because you will then have a bigger group of friends :smile:
Good luck!

Thank you. I'm really tied between trinity square and glass house now. I wanted to be near to people with the same ethnicity as me, because i have a few religious events which i'd want to go with my friends rather then my family all the time. But which would you reccomend out of the two? Thanks so much for your help.
Reply 114
Original post by puj1
Thank you. I'm really tied between trinity square and glass house now. I wanted to be near to people with the same ethnicity as me, because i have a few religious events which i'd want to go with my friends rather then my family all the time. But which would you reccomend out of the two? Thanks so much for your help.

Ahh yeah of course, but either way if no-one in your flat is of the same ethnicity then you will, no doubt, meet people on your course who are. And, as I already suggested, you could join the society/societies, have a look at them here and you can start your own socitey as well :smile:

I really wouldn't be able to decide between the two. Trinity Square is slightly closer (by about a 2 minute walk). Glasshouse has an Aldi right at the bottom of it.
My housemate lived in Glasshouse first year and said that on their application they put down their interests and where they lived back at home etc and apparently she ended up with people who had moved from a similar part of the UK and with similar interests. Maybe this could work in your favour?
Reply 115
Original post by ~carly~
Yeah, best thing to do is go on an open day and just ask loads of questions.
Ok well just to give you an idea, the uni owned accommodation on campus are Gill street, sandby halls and hampton halls, these three are the closest uni owned on campus ones. i would discount hampton as they only have shared bathrooms. its up to you about the other two, gill street is nice, sandby is the party halls so if you like to party thats the one! There is some halls called blenheim halls, which i wouldnt go for if you are looking for somewhere safe!

I am actually in a place called goldsmith court right now which is the most central to the uni that you can be, its right next to and opposite all the uni buildings, im in a studio at the moment which is far too expensive! depends on how much you want to spend for cluster flats too, i think they are £105 which is expensive compared to the uni owned halls, but the accommodation people there are really good.

You might want to google search some of these as well (non uni owned, just to give you some more, i didnt know about these)
Cotton Mills, Radford.
Royal House, Goldsmith Street.

Hope this helps

I've just booked Blenheim halls, wish I read this before :/
Reply 116
Original post by Maz100
I've just booked Blenheim halls, wish I read this before :/

I wouldnt worry though, everywhere has dodgy areas doesnt it, and tbh i did consider blenheim as one of my top 3 choices, its nice there. Just be careful really, like you wouldnt walk home on your own late at night really anywhere, so just take care :smile: Dont worry.
Reply 117
Hiya! Ive been really confused about accom and im swaying more to private. Just want to know if you know anything about Mansion Square or Glasshouse? Cant decide where i want to stay, also im a bit of a party girl so dont want to miss out on any of the social side of uni...dont know what to do! x
Reply 118
Original post by Jaydiee
Ahh yeah of course, but either way if no-one in your flat is of the same ethnicity then you will, no doubt, meet people on your course who are. And, as I already suggested, you could join the society/societies, have a look at them here and you can start your own socitey as well :smile:

I really wouldn't be able to decide between the two. Trinity Square is slightly closer (by about a 2 minute walk). Glasshouse has an Aldi right at the bottom of it.
My housemate lived in Glasshouse first year and said that on their application they put down their interests and where they lived back at home etc and apparently she ended up with people who had moved from a similar part of the UK and with similar interests. Maybe this could work in your favour?

Hey so sorry, i meant i'm tied between trinity square and goldsmiths courts. It seems more students are going to goldmsiths court? I don't know though. ehh this is so hard. I definatly want to be in either trinity square or goldmsiths but i'm scared they will loose out of places if i don't decide soon :frown:
Reply 119
Original post by puj1
Hey so sorry, i meant i'm tied between trinity square and goldsmiths courts. It seems more students are going to goldmsiths court? I don't know though. ehh this is so hard. I definatly want to be in either trinity square or goldmsiths but i'm scared they will loose out of places if i don't decide soon :frown:

Haha no worries! All of the private accommodation is only for students. And all of the private accommodation is usually filled by first year students anyway, occasionally you'll have other students in there from years above but not usually.

Goldsmith Court is nice but then again so is Trinity Square! Have you been to look at either of them?
Trinity Square is closer to the centre of town, so all the shops and supermarkets. It's above a Waitrose and loads of restaurants. Just outside you will fine a Harvester, GBK, Nandos, Pizza hut, Tamatanga, TGI etc!
Goldsmith is closer to the Uni (only by a 3-5 minute walk)

You do need to make a decision soon to ensure you have accommodation sorted so you're not stressing about that and can focus on exams etc :smile: If I'm honest, whichever option you decide to go with I'm sure you'll be pleased in the long run!

Quick Reply

Latest