The Student Room Group

Sports direct, q & a

Hey! I'm going to be attending a job interview at a local sports direct shop and would like some advice of people who have worked there OR work there now, Thank you :smile:

1. Whats the pay like? Apparently its "up to £6.80" but I'm eighteen. Could somebody who works there now tell me what they get payed?

2. Is it a good company to work for, benefits and such?

3. Are the house really THAT felixable?

4. I'm looking for a full time job, so monday to friday with no weekends... would that be acceptable?

5. Do you have to like sports? because I don't

6. Tips for the interview?

Thank you!!! :biggrin:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
1. I only worked for them for about 3 months part-time so I didn't expect my pay to go up (apart from when the national minimum wage went up). However a couple of guys who had been working there a few years did say they were paid more (obviously I don't know if they actually were) but it wasn't £6.80 an hour. I imagine you'd need to work there a very long time before you reach that figure.

2. I found it alright. There weren't really any benefits as such; you got a staff discount but could only use it on certain things. It had to be something in your size, so you couldn't get anything like a bag with it or any clothes that are too small or big to fit you (a size either way they wouldn't notice). You also couldn't get a mens top as a female or vice versa even if the top did fit you.

3. I don't understand what you mean by the house being flexible? If you mean the working hours then I always found you could cancel a shift but wouldn't get the hours elsewhere. If you cancelled too often they'd just stop giving you any hours for a week or so. The hours were low to start with so they often found someone to do your cancelled shift and low hours also meant people didn't want to cancel what they did have.

4. I don't think you'd be able to avoid weekends permanently, but I was part-time staff so maybe they can do this more with full-time staff as they can get the part-time staff to do the weekends.

5. You don't have to like sports, I didn't mention liking any sport at all in my interview and actually hated sports (but didn't tell them that) and found it easy enough to get a job and work there.

6. At my interview it was quite relaxed and they just asked about hobbies and availability really, but then again it was for a part-time casual position so maybe it will be different for full-time staff interviews.
Reply 2
1. I'm 20 and worked there since I was about 18 and have been paid £5.30 the whole time - was told my pay would go up after the probationary period, but when I asked about it was told that it was at the manager discretion, so it didn't.

2. The only benefits I get are I think, a 15% in-store discount, but I can only use that for buying things for myself and not anyone else. Management can be a bit varied - sometimes they're lovely, other times they can be a bit of a pain to work with.

3. Generally speaking they are, yeah - if you need a day off or whatever, try to let them know as soon as possible.

4. Out of about at least 20 staff, only 4 are full time workers - it's highly unlikely you'll get a full time job there.

5. No you don't, but it's useful obviously for when you're serving customers to get a basic knowledge of the items you stock in-store.

6. Not really, it does seem to have changed a bit from what recent people have said from when I went for it - I was dressed fairly neatly in clean/unripped jeans and a hoody and was basically ran through health and safety, what hours I could work, what I knew about the store, why I want to work there etc - none of this role-play stuff.
Hey!

I've got a 1 to 1 interview today at my local sports direct, and I have absolutely no idea what to expect, can anyone help?
Reply 4
Original post by MoonGazer
1. I'm 20 and worked there since I was about 18 and have been paid £5.30 the whole time - was told my pay would go up after the probationary period, but when I asked about it was told that it was at the manager discretion, so it didn't.

2. The only benefits I get are I think, a 15% in-store discount, but I can only use that for buying things for myself and not anyone else. Management can be a bit varied - sometimes they're lovely, other times they can be a bit of a pain to work with.

3. Generally speaking they are, yeah - if you need a day off or whatever, try to let them know as soon as possible.

4. Out of about at least 20 staff, only 4 are full time workers - it's highly unlikely you'll get a full time job there.

5. No you don't, but it's useful obviously for when you're serving customers to get a basic knowledge of the items you stock in-store.

6. Not really, it does seem to have changed a bit from what recent people have said from when I went for it - I was dressed fairly neatly in clean/unripped jeans and a hoody and was basically ran through health and safety, what hours I could work, what I knew about the store, why I want to work there etc - none of this role-play stuff.

Do you know if you get the uniform at your induction? And how long it takes after sending off the passport & NI photocopy that i'll be able to start? Cheers :smile:
Reply 5
I phoned up after not hearing from my manager for about a week after my interview and then got given my hours for the next week, but that might vary for different managers/stores and how busy they/HR are at the time, I think. You should get your uniform on either your first day or on your induction day - I can't remember which, though.
I had an interview at Sports Direct today, after reading horrendous stories on The Student Room and other websites about it, I was a bit dubious about it. However, it was very relaxed and the questions were okay. Tell me about yourself, what do you know about Sports Direct (which I completely screwed up- do your research!) and then I was asked to role play how I'd sell a Bag For Life, I dreaded it for all of two minutes but it actually wasn't too bad. All in all, I was happy with the interview but the rate of pay is only £3.68 because I'm 16 :frown: I'm still looking for something else, though. It's not as bad as everyone makes out, although I've not got the job yet! :P Feel free to email me if you've got any questions! :smile:
Isnt it ridiculous how the only replies have been from females applying/obtaining a job in a sport shop.
I guess all of your managers are men too ?
Reply 8
My manager is male, as is one of our supervisors on clothing and the assistant manager is female.
Original post by MarkiMarky93
Isnt it ridiculous how the only replies have been from females applying/obtaining a job in a sport shop.
I guess all of your managers are men too ?

Manager's male, more men than women hired at my store. Stop trying to find stupid reasons why you dont have a job there
Im quite alright not working in a knock off sport brand store thank you very much.
im not being picky at all- just noticing how every responce is from young females funnily enough.
Fair enough, but I've seen plenty of lads posting in other threads anyway, maybe it's just that the girls worry more?
Reply 12
I received an email from this company in which I was told to book an interview on the website, yet I can see no 'my interviews' link. Should I contact them directly?
Original post by dhowell93
Hey! I'm going to be attending a job interview at a local sports direct shop and would like some advice of people who have worked there OR work there now, Thank you :smile:

1. Whats the pay like? Apparently its "up to £6.80" but I'm eighteen. Could somebody who works there now tell me what they get payed?

2. Is it a good company to work for, benefits and such?

3. Are the house really THAT felixable?

4. I'm looking for a full time job, so monday to friday with no weekends... would that be acceptable?

5. Do you have to like sports? because I don't

6. Tips for the interview?

Thank you!!! :biggrin:

1. I've been there since October, so a month before I turned 20 and I was told I'll be paid 5.80 an hour, but I'm not 100% sure if that's gone up :confused:!
2. It's ok, you get like a 15% discount but I haven't used it yet.
3. I'm on a 0 hour contract.
4. Hmmm, just see when you go in.
5. Not really.
6. Just be confident :biggrin:!
Good luck :smile:!!
Reply 14
How long after the interview did they tell you whether you got the job or now, or will they tell you during the interview? I have one at 13:00 tomorrow :smile:
Original post by Connor1445
How long after the interview did they tell you whether you got the job or now, or will they tell you during the interview? I have one at 13:00 tomorrow :smile:

They'll tell you that you'll get an e-mail telling you if you have the job :smile:
Reply 16
How long before you got your email?? :smile:
Reply 17
I had my interview today and they told me on the spot that I'd got it :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Connor1445
How long before you got your email?? :smile:

I think it was about 4 days after the interview that I got the email..can't remember exactly.
Reply 19
Hey, I got the job, although I need ID, what do you need to prove, I know you need an indate passport or a A4 birth certificate, what I want to know is do you need them both or just one of them??

Quick Reply

Latest