The Student Room Group

Possible to have a part-time job during your degree?

Just wondering...have any medical students found they are able to manage a part time job or a holiday job during their preclinical years?

Also, what types of jobs? As a med student are there any opportunities out there to gain some work experience for later?

(n.b. I've worked in a clothes shop, care home and now HCA in hospital so trying tp think of other possible part time or holiday jobs)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Yep, no dramas.

Gaining 'work experience' is called clinical years.
Reply 2
So...?
Reply 3
Sure :smile: My sis is a medic and works for a catering company who basically ask her to do hospitality work whenever it comes up, and she chooses whether she's too busy to take it or not :smile:
Reply 4
I worked term time and holidays for the first 2 and a bit years. just pub work but is nice to get out the medic-ness for some time each week. No way would I want to be a phleb/nurse etc as part time job while at uni!
i work. i worked in a shop a lot of last year. this year i have much more flexible stuff on to do with mentoring, widening participation that sort of thing with the university and aim higher. that pays much better :p:

i also worked over the summer. if you get a job you can come back to at home keep hold of it and you can work other holidays, otherwise i guess after first year if you wanted you could stay in your uni house and work from there.
Reply 6
I DJ and the TA :smile: Brings me a fair amount of money in!
Reply 7
digitalis
Brings me a fair amount of money in!
Assuming you're not talking about DJing.

Sorry for lack of my CDs the other night mate.
Reply 8
Hmm I actually get expelled if I get a term time job... I couldnt manage one anyway because my time is so flexible. One day I might have loads of free time, the next Ill have none and this changes weekly. I do some paid work in the holidays and the like to make sure Ive got enough money to live for the next year but thats about it!
Reply 9
Aye - I've partaken in paid work since year 1... Often ya gotta...
Reply 10
I've done mainly medical secretarial work in the summer holidays for the first 3 years but now I don't really have time. I earn a few quid here and there doing things like research experiments and the student transplant rota, but don't have a proper job. I guess I'd have time for a weekend thing if I didn't have a boyfriend in London...
Reply 11
Why can't you carry on the HCA work? I hear a lot of hospitals are gagging for them.
Assuming you're not talking about DJing.

Sorry for lack of my CDs the other night mate.

DJing=beer money at best, tube fare at worst :biggrin:

No worries mate, punters didn't seem to mind...except one bloke who got extremely angry when I didn't have "we are the champions" :wink:
Reply 13
digitalis
DJing=beer money at best, tube fare at worst :biggrin:

No worries mate, punters didn't seem to mind...except one bloke who got extremely angry when I didn't have "we are the champions" :wink:
****ing footie boys.
Reply 14
Tyraell
Why can't you carry on the HCA work? I hear a lot of hospitals are gagging for them.

I could I suppose. I was just wondering whether part time work is possible as a med student i.e. in terms of time. Also, whether there were interesting alternatives as I'd like to gain experience in something else.
Reply 15
You can do HCA work, over the holidays and bank weekends during term.

My recommendation would be to do something non-clinical, there's lots to see and do in the real world before getting stuck in medicine.
^^^Agreed. You do need to seperate your academic and professional life as a student I've always found...
Medicine as a course is demanding from what I can gather.........

At the same time 5 years and wanting to have some fun...especially if u are in london means that perhaps a weekend job is a good idea...

wouldit be possible or is there too much work
Reply 18
I have spoken to my sis about it b4, she has some med students living with her. She says that they dont have part time jobs but jobs during the holidays and use that money during the term. Maybe med students can have part time jobs but I would think only one day per week so either a sat or sun. I think that should be ok if u can balance work time and school time. Hopefully thats a bit of help.
Reply 19
Weekend or evening jobs are no drama, you just have to balance it with the loss of opportunities - you might not be able to commit all the time you want to clubs, socs or ents.