The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Maybe contact the DWP? They might be able to help! (They issue the card, after all).
Reply 2
I remember reading they can issue you a new one. But only one, but i have no idea who you'd have to contact. Sorry :smile:
Reply 3
Do you have the letter that came with the card still? That has the number on it as well. When I got mine I got my dad to file the letter away with his stuff incase I ever lost the card.

Otherwise an old payslip (if you have worked before) will have the number on it.
Reply 4
Same happened to me, except mine just went missing.

Rang 0845 915 7006 and they said they'd send a form with my number on it, with an application for a new card within 10 days. Hasn't turned up though, so we rang again last week and the woman said she'd send another one.

As for my job, I've been given a temporary one for now.

If you've forgotten or lost your National Insurance number
If you've had a National Insurance number but you've forgotten or lost it, you can obtain a replacement number card by contacting your local Jobcentre Plus, Social Security Office or Jobcentre. You can find the telephone number in your local telephone directory.

For more information you can phone the National Insurance registration Helpline on 0845 915 7006.
Reply 5
ohone up and tell them your card was stolen, cos someone else could be usng it.

i memorisedd my number as soon as i got it :smile:
and my brothers are 1 letter/nubmer different so i know theirs too
I was in the same situation a couple of months ago...

Well the pay department at your new job will just need to know your national insurance number and not the actual card. However if you do want to get another card then you need to get in contact your local jobcentre and they will give you some further advice on the topic. I.e. send you out an application form in order to request a National Insurance card. They do take a little while though so if I was you I would just take an official document with your National Insurance number on it if you have one.
Reply 7
You don't necessarily need a new card if you know your number or if it's printed on a P60 or something somewhere.
Reply 8
I don't even know if I still have a card... just remembered the number itself - no one actually asks for the card itself!
Reply 9
Okay guys, thanks very much for the help here:biggrin: quick responses are muchly appreciated.

I don't see why they would only replace it once? Or do they only do it once for free? Otherwise that would just be an arbitrary and stupid way of doing things, surely? Meh

Cheers!
Reply 10
I lost mine ages ago, for me it isn't a problem because I have pay checks and p60's. If you know the number the card isn't important.
RobbieC

I don't see why they would only replace it once? Or do they only do it once for free? Otherwise that would just be an arbitrary and stupid way of doing things, surely? Meh

Cheers!

They only replace it once even if you offer to pay!

Stupid I knoq:s-smilie:
Reply 12
RobbieC
I have to go to register for my new job in about a weeks time, but had my wallet stolen. My national insurance card was inside... I've tried googling it, but found nothing straightforward... so if someone could offer some knowing advice, I'd be very appreciative. Thanks!

Do you have an old payslip? You don't actually need the card. I've never used it once, you just need the number.
Reply 13
You don't need the card, you just need to know the number.
Reply 14
Job Centre will give you it.
Reply 15
My Mum lost hers time ago but she remembers her number by heart and she's been fine and she's working as well.

Possibly ring the NI Helpline to get help. :smile:
I've just had a look at the back of my National Insurance Card, and it says
Tell your nearest DWP/IR Office if you loose your card. So my guess is to find your nearest one and contact them asap :smile:
Why is this thread going on for so long?
Everyone is just saying the same answers over and over again :wink:
hi i am 16
i got my national insurance number but put it somewhere now i cant find it.
What do i do?