The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
This proves my point, no other university that has ranked in the same area as us over the years, usually the 8-14 range, has dropped so far back. If you told me when I applied Nottingham was going to end up 20th i'd have laughed. I thought ranking 13th was bad at the time. Sort it out lads!
(edited 3 years ago)
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Reply 61
Broadsword
This proves my point, no other university that has ranked in the same area as us over the years, usually the 8-14 range, has dropped so far back. If you told me when I applied Nottingham was going to end up 20th i'd have laughed. I thought ranking 13th was bad at the time. Sort it out lads!

What degree are you doing?
Broadsword

Doesn't that say more about your own academic snobbery than the university's reputation? To be honest I'd rather people like you weren't going to the same university as me; it's people like YOU who end up making the reputation worse anyway.

Where's your sense of university pride? And who honestly cares about league tables anyway (you obviously)? I rejected universities much higher up than Nottingham, and i know countless people who have done exactly the same. The difference between the top 20-30 or so universities isn't exactly the pacific ocean either. A degree is a degree these days.
Reply 63
countJACKula
Doesn't that say more about your own academic snobbery than the university's reputation? I'd rather people like you weren't going to the same university as me, as it's people like YOU who end up making the reputation worse anyway.

Where's your sense of university pride? And who honestly cares about league tables anyway (you obviously)? I rejected universities much higher up than Nottingham, and i know countless people who have done exactly the same. The difference between the top 20-30 or so universities isn't exactly the pacific ocean either. A degree is a degree these days.

Wheyyy big jack's in the house! Well said old chap, well said indeed. :yy:
countJACKula
Doesn't that say more about your own academic snobbery than the university's reputation? To be honest I'd rather people like you weren't going to the same university as me as it's people like YOU who end up making the reputation worse anyway.

Amen.
Although I draw the line at calling you 'big Jack'; especially with the prefix 'whheyyy'.....
OP- you are a mug.
Reply 65
957 Country Bumpkin
Amen.
Although I draw the line at calling you 'big Jack'; especially with the prefix 'whheyyy'.....
OP- you are a mug.

Hahaha I was getting in touch with my thuggish roots. Mob mentality and all that.
Reply 66
I am glad the geographers have decided to take up the fight against Broadsword.

I am so proud. :moon:
Reply 67
countJACKula
Doesn't that say more about your own academic snobbery than the university's reputation? To be honest I'd rather people like you weren't going to the same university as me; it's people like YOU who end up making the reputation worse anyway.

You are such a tool bag. if you actually read my original post I barely mentioned rankings. My main point was that the universities calibre of student has dropped dramatically, the best dont apply here anymore, and its application numbers have plummeted as well, Personally I see that as a worrying sign. Oh well, got an offer for Oxford next year for postgrad anyway so I cant say I care greatly anymore.
Broadsword

Actually, there have. Birmingham used to be 13-14ish and a couple of years ago fell down to 33 in the Times! So that is a lot larger than the drop for Nottingham.
Reply 69
countJACKula

WHAT HE SAID!!!
just with less accurate grammar, and more smilies! like this > :danceboy:

AND YEAH TEAM GEOGRAPHY!!! I'm getting all *thewordlikepatrioticbutforacademicsubject* :party:
Broadsword
My main point was that the universities calibre of student has dropped dramatically, the best dont apply here anymore,

Oh well, got an offer for Oxford next year for postgrad anyway so I cant say I care greatly anymore.

Firstly, speak for your bloody self, telling us what calibre of student we are, what a fecking cheek!!

Secondly, Oxford will be lucky to have you :rolleyes: And I'm sure they'll be interested in what you think of its reputation.
Reply 71
Broadsword
You are such a tool bag.

Ouch.
Broadsword
You are such a tool bag. if you actually read my original post I barely mentioned rankings. My main point was that the universities calibre of student has dropped dramatically, the best dont apply here anymore, and its application numbers have plummeted as well, Personally I see that as a worrying sign. Oh well, got an offer for Oxford next year for postgrad anyway so I cant say I care greatly anymore.

If you do not care then why don't you stop spreading your bitter **** and jog on?
Broadsword

So you 'don't care about rankings' but then brag to us about how you're going to oxford? I smell a blatent hypocrisy here. And also, if you 'didn't care anymore', why are you making threads like this?

Please sort your grammar/punctuation/life out before you bother to insult me again; your petty insults only reiterate the child you are.
Reply 74
Gingie
WHAT HE SAID!!!
just with less accurate grammar, and more smilies! like this > :danceboy:

AND YEAH TEAM GEOGRAPHY!!! I'm getting all *thewordlikepatrioticbutforacademicsubject* :party:

I believe the word you're searching for is patrisubjotic.
Reply 75
Broadsword

Oi broady I asked which degree you are doing?
Don't worry, I'll +rep the university.
Reply 77
josht111
I believe the word you're searching for is patrisubjotic.

thanks! :biggrin:
From my observations it seems quite clear that, unfortunately, Nottinghams reputation seems to be on the decline.

As shown by proper indutry lead research, when applying for jobs a candidates university prestige is entirely subjective and based on the recruiters ideas, which 99% of the time don't come from leage tables.

So, if your being interviewed by a guy who went to notts, or has good co-workers or bosses or friends who go to notts, your'll look better to the guy that matters that someone who've gone to an on paper better university.

Bearing in mind for any high level job your gonna be interviewed by people like 10-20 years old, and research has shown that their view of your uni will be based on their veiw when they were applying/at uni.
Reply 79
Broadsword

you sound cute

Latest