The Student Room Group

Year 11 Work Experience help required

Hey,

I'm in Year 10 and my school has organised the Y10 Work Experience to take place in the first 2 weeks of Y11. Since this is compulsory almost every child will have done a Work Experience by the end of Secondary school.

I achieve top end Mock and Module grades and am Predicted A/A* grades in almost every subject I'm taking.

What placement would make me stand out as most kids go to retail and shopping centres, what placement would produce good results in return for hard work in the form of a written statement from my supervisor.

Thanks in advance.
What do you want to study at University/in college?
If you have a faint idea (maybe you don't have a particular degree in mind yet, but you might know what A levels you want to take) then I'd work your work experience around these. This way, it will be relevant for your Uni application. No point in knowing that you want to study Law and spending 2 weeks in IKEA.

And in regards to "what placement would produce good results in return for hard work in the form of a written statement from my supervisor", it doesn't really matter what the work experience is, but if your supervisor gives you a glowing reference saying you were punctual, committed, had great organizational skills, a good appearance etc. then this is what makes the reference from work experience good.
Reply 2
Original post by racheatworld
What do you want to study at University/in college?
If you have a faint idea (maybe you don't have a particular degree in mind yet, but you might know what A levels you want to take) then I'd work your work experience around these. This way, it will be relevant for your Uni application. No point in knowing that you want to study Law and spending 2 weeks in IKEA.

And in regards to "what placement would produce good results in return for hard work in the form of a written statement from my supervisor", it doesn't really matter what the work experience is, but if your supervisor gives you a glowing reference saying you were punctual, committed, had great organizational skills, a good appearance etc. then this is what makes the reference from work experience good.

Erm... I tried that but I couldn't really base a placement around Physics, Biology, Maths and English Lit. (or something of the sort)

I want to do something that isn't completely out of place but will stand out and not just "look good" i.e at a dentist's where someone doing Work Experience just gets in the way of the dentist.

I
Reply 3
I recently did my Work Experience at the end of May, and I went to an accountants firm for the placement as that's what I want to do in the future. I think that you should try and find a placement in whatever you're interested in as a future career, as some of my friends went to Argos because they are lazy flabby gits and they only worked 12-3pm every day. And from the placement you can see whether you are still interested in that job or dispel it and think again about the future.
Reply 4
Original post by chernid
I recently did my Work Experience at the end of May, and I went to an accountants firm for the placement as that's what I want to do in the future. I think that you should try and find a placement in whatever you're interested in as a future career, as some of my friends went to Argos because they are lazy flabby gits and they only worked 12-3pm every day. And from the placement you can see whether you are still interested in that job or dispel it and think again about the future.

I'm really not sure as to what I want to do, but something respectable, and I'm willing to put the effort in, accountancy seems like a good one I'll look around my area see if any have places available.

EDIT: What did they have you do. (Just curious)
Original post by I Persia I
Erm... I tried that but I couldn't really base a placement around Physics, Biology, Maths and English Lit. (or something of the sort)

I want to do something that isn't completely out of place but will stand out and not just "look good" i.e at a dentist's where someone doing Work Experience just gets in the way of the dentist.

I

Oh the irony, I did my year 11 work experience at a Dentists. Only because it was relevant though; I'm applying for Dentistry.

Physics, Biology, Maths all go well together. How about something involved with Medical Physics at a Hospital? Radiology/radiography department?

English Lit, I have no ideas I'm afraid. Newspaper/Magazine, BBC, Publishers?
Reply 6
Original post by racheatworld
Oh the irony, I did my year 11 work experience at a Dentists. Only because it was relevant though; I'm applying for Dentistry.

Physics, Biology, Maths all go well together. How about something involved with Medical Physics at a Hospital? Radiology/radiography department?

English Lit, I have no ideas I'm afraid. Newspaper/Magazine, BBC, Publishers?

Thanks, I'll phone up a few places.

Thanks for your help.
Thanks, I'll phone up a few places.

Thanks for your help.

No problem. I hope you find relevant work experience that you enjoy. :smile:
Reply 8
I'm really not sure as to what I want to do, but something respectable, and I'm willing to put the effort in, accountancy seems like a good one I'll look around my area see if any have places available.

EDIT: What did they have you do. (Just curious)

Well, for the first two days I completed the beginning bits of using a client. I looked through a lot of paperwork for the invoices and I noted it down on Excel. On Wednesday, I looked through Bank Statements and once again used Excel to write up the data and see if it was all in order. On Thursday and Friday, I went up to Payroll and I used a programme called Sage and I had to add in changes to salary for the employees of the clients (who are companies) such as Holiday Pay (which is normally half of normal pay), maternity and paternity pay and if there were any leaves in the company. Overall, I found it relatively boring, but it was interesting to see what accountants did and would like to pursue a career in this in the future.
Reply 9
Original post by chernid
Well, for the first two days I completed the beginning bits of using a client. I looked through a lot of paperwork for the invoices and I noted it down on Excel. On Wednesday, I looked through Bank Statements and once again used Excel to write up the data and see if it was all in order. On Thursday and Friday, I went up to Payroll and I used a programme called Sage and I had to add in changes to salary for the employees of the clients (who are companies) such as Holiday Pay (which is normally half of normal pay), maternity and paternity pay and if there were any leaves in the company. Overall, I found it relatively boring, but it was interesting to see what accountants did and would like to pursue a career in this in the future.

Wow, I wouldn't mind doing that but I wouldn't have thought they'd give you things such as holiday pay to sort out. Thanks for the input. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest