The Student Room Group

The worst books you've ever read

Scroll to see replies

GCSE maths.

never before have I been asked to task my imagination so hard!
Original post by seanfromtheblock
to be honest, I just don't understand why anyone would want to read a play, that's not what they're for.

Yeah, I only ever read plays for school. I absolutely loved A Streetcar Named Desire but any others were just...meh. I appreciate that analysing the language is interesting etc, but it will never match up to actually watching it being performed.
Original post by (:Becca(:
The Great Gatsby. It's so bad I wouldn't even use it as toilet paper.

what is this i don't even

Second attempt: Explain yourself.
A great and terrible beauty.

I bought the second one, have no idea why it was awful.
Original post by TheSmithsIndeed
Yeah, I only ever read plays for school. I absolutely loved A Streetcar Named Desire but any others were just...meh. I appreciate that analysing the language is interesting etc, but it will never match up to actually watching it being performed.

yeah, we did a streetcar named desire as one of our texts for Higher, and I thought it was amazing.

An Inspector Calls though... :puke:
Reply 25
Original post by DisconcertingWink1
What the? lol

It is really crap and scores merit on no levels.
The Fountainhead :puke:

I love A Handmaid's Tale except the final chapter where the academics in the future are discussing Offred. It felt unnecessary and awkward, and I almost didn't read it because I first thought it was an interview with Margaret Atwood added to that edition of the book and I thought the ending I had just read was very good. (The film was pretty good, made me properly scared when I watched it at night.)
Original post by Killer Bean
what is this i don't even

Second attempt: Explain yourself.

The language is too flowery and descriptive and it takes ****ing forever to get to the point.
The White Tiger... boring as ****, don't know how it won the Man Booker prize :erm:

Twilight... lord knows why I continued to read it to the end :sigh:
Next by Michael Crichton
It had potential, but the ending was so rushed, there were loads of separate storylines that were under developed and didn't really reach a conclusion.
Reply 30
Original post by seanfromtheblock
yeah, we did a streetcar named desire as one of our texts for Higher, and I thought it was amazing.

An Inspector Calls though... :puke:

I loved An Inspector Calls (: What didn't you like about it?
The Great Gatsby!
Original post by vander Beth
The Fountainhead :puke:

I love A Handmaid's Tale except the final chapter where the academics in the future are discussing Offred. It felt unnecessary and awkward, and I almost didn't read it because I first thought it was an interview with Margaret Atwood added to that edition of the book and I thought the ending I had just read was very good. (The film was pretty good, made me properly scared when I watched it at night.)

God, I hated the final chapter of A Handmaids Tale. I feel like it just ruined the amazing climax that was built up in the last proper chapter. I loved the idea of not knowing whether Offred had been captured or had managed to escape, and whilst the ending was unique, I felt it very much lead to an anti-climax. Sometimes, not knowing is the best way in my opinion :smile:
Reply 33
Catcher in the Rye, Holden just bitches so much!

'The Passage' - part 1 was good, but part 2 I'm struggling to get through and don't like it at all. And they're planning to make it into a movie. :frown:
Reply 34
Read few pages of twilight and got bored of it.
The Passage. The first bit is okay, but then I died of old age waiting for something to happen. I just gave up after about 200 pages.
Reply 36
We Need to Talk About Kevin.

This has been the only book ever, that I have not been able to finish: even if I'm not enjoying a book, I still finish it out of principle and just incase it gets better. However, We Need to Talk About Kevin was utterly unreadable. It seemed as if the author had used a thesaurus to look up EVERY word, shoving in big, clever, words in in order to sound more articulate and clever: it just made it sound unnatural and annoying. Pages and pages of pointless description could've easily been condensed into a paragraph.

Even the 'shocking' twist was predictable.
Original post by SteveCrain
It is really crap and scores merit on no levels.

Aw, J.D. Salinger is my favourite author :h:
Reply 38
Eragon and Eldest; complete carcon copy of classic Star Wars.

LOTR: Fellowship... might just be because i was 7 but this book had so much unnecessary crap in it. The sequels are great though
Reply 39
Birdsong.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending