The Student Room Group

Music Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by blue_star221
I only play piano really (got my grade 8), I've got Grade 5 musical theatre but don't have singing lessons now! I'm a paid organist though, and learnt the clarinet and the sax by myself... but really I only do piano :L There is a lot of competition between pianists to get into conservatoires, but with universities you'll be okay. I think it was the people at Sheffield who mentioned that they don't really look at what instrument you play too much, it's everything else including academic work and your personal statement that they concentrate more on - & they don't take a certain amount of people who play one instrument. For example, one class could have 20 pianists... or 3! If you get where I'm coming from :smile:

I'm off to the Nottingham open day on Saturday, and if I like it there then I'm all set to apply! Just got to get my personal statement sorted. Quite worried about writing the academic part because I do loads of extra-curricular stuff...

WOOOO I'm a paid organist too :biggrin: and I'm going to the Nottingham open day but on Friday!!
Thanks for the positive comments everyone, getting a place at uni is always a thought in the back of my mind but I'm sure everything will turn out fine for us all! :biggrin:
Is anyone actually reading my comments?
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Definitely feel free to drop your PS in if you like :yep:

Not at all. Uni is very exciting and stimulating. Part of the reason I decided to do an MA was to extend my student years :biggrin:

Bit of a question (or if anyone else can answer this, school seem to be rubbish with Music applications) I've got Grades 1-8 piano all with a Merit, but with two different exam boards - do I need to put all of them in UCAS? Or just Grade 8? :smile:
Bit of a question (or if anyone else can answer this, school seem to be rubbish with Music applications) I've got Grades 1-8 piano all with a Merit, but with two different exam boards - do I need to put all of them in UCAS? Or just Grade 8? :smile:

It depends how much you want to show them. It's a bit pointless putting all of them, so maybe just put your Grades 6-8 or just your Grade 8 :smile:
It depends how much you want to show them. It's a bit pointless putting all of them, so maybe just put your Grades 6-8 or just your Grade 8 :smile:

Brill :smile: I suppose the only way I'd put all of them is to show how long I've been playing, but that'll go in my personal statement probably. Thank you!
Reply 25
lucky you for living in Surrey! I love the place, as you've probably guessed lol. Guildford especially. & it's nice and close to London which I like :smile: I dream of being a musician on the West End so would be perfect for me there.
Are you not going for conservatoires? What instrument do you play? :biggrin: I'm a pianist, but I sing and play clarinet, organ and saxophone as well (badly). Just don't think I'm good enough to get in to any of them, and I'd rather stay academic based... I think!

I play piano, trumpet and organ (yay fellow organist!!) :biggrin: nah, I'm not really looking at a performance based course- I'm not good enought for a start! I prefer composition and musicology to be honest, music psychology sounds interesting too. I agree, so many of the orchestras or choirs I have performed with do so much in london- surrey is a great place to be a musician! (you also have the Fairfield halls in Croydon).
Reply 26
plus there are so many different places for jam sessions and the like in the surrounding areas - in Streatham there's jazz on a Monday, in Croydon there's all manner of live stuff, lots of it just turn up with your gear and you'll get a chance, and hundreds of other places and genres.

Anything that improves your playing - and is fun - can only be a good thing. Even on academic courses, the ability to play well must help on application.
Reply 27
Currently thinking..
Oxford,
KCL
Durham
York
Sheffield...
thinking I'm being slightly ambitious :smile:
Original post by clairegeo
Currently thinking..
Oxford,
KCL
Durham
York
Sheffield...
thinking I'm being slightly ambitious :smile:

Which college are you thinking of for Oxford? :smile:
Reply 29
I've applied at Queen's for a choral scholarship! So i guess that one :L
Yourself?
Reply 30
Oh you can tell I'm new to this :smile:
I went to Nottingham yesterday and really liked it (even though they've put their grades up) :biggrin: so have my 5 choices - yay! Just got to sort my personal statement now and then I'm all set to apply :smile: and get my audition piece prepared for Bath Spa too!
I've applied at Queen's for a choral scholarship! So i guess that one :L
Yourself?

I've already done an Oxford Music degree. I'm just here lurking :ninja:

Owen's lovely :smile:
i'm kinda worried about university applications because i will have 2 a levels and a btec subsidiary diploma and i only really sing... i can kind of play guitar but not good enough. i have been looking at unis Westminster, Canterbury Christ Church, Chichester and York but i'm worried that they won't take me because of my crap GCSE grades as well.
Reply 34
I've already done an Oxford Music degree. I'm just here lurking :ninja:

Owen's lovely :smile:

Oh I see :smile: Well, do you reckon all my options are a bit competitive? The lowest ones being York and Sheffield with ABB...?
I'm predicted A/A*s but still..
Oh I see :smile: Well, do you reckon all my options are a bit competitive? The lowest ones being York and Sheffield with ABB...?
I'm predicted A/A*s but still..

Absolutely nothing wrong with aiming high if it's realistic and as long as you're not cocky about it. I at first only applied to Oxford, KCL and Manchester which, looking back, was a bit of a twattish thing to do. Later added Southampton and Royal Holloway to make it more realistic :yes:

ABB sounds safe enough :smile:
Reply 36
hmmm scary stuff :smile: i was thinking of royal holloway.. but i didnt really like the course or the location much and it's still AAB so I though it maybe wasn't worth applying there.
hmmm scary stuff :smile: i was thinking of royal holloway.. but i didnt really like the course or the location much and it's still AAB so I though it maybe wasn't worth applying there.

No point applying to places you're not interested in :nah:
Reply 38
Hi

I am looking at

Southampton
Nottingham
Bristol
Birmingham

but not sure about a fifth. Does anyone know anything about Leeds or Manchester??
Reply 39
Original post by 99sal
Hi

I am looking at

Southampton
Nottingham
Bristol
Birmingham

but not sure about a fifth. Does anyone know anything about Leeds or Manchester??

Leeds looked really good to me when I went to the open day there. :biggrin: They have a wide range of module options, and the chance to spend a year in industry. Are you looking at the BA or the BMus?

Quick Reply

Latest