The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I've missed my first one of the year so far, cos I went to the lecture building and the hall was empty. No idea where it was.
Reply 41
Original post by Samz
I try not to miss them, but I have three 9am starts a week and for the life of me I struggle to wake up. I work weekends and start at 7.30am and don't find it as tough to get up as I do for uni!

That's probably because with uni you're thinking "If I don't go I'll just have to catch up later" whereas with work you're thinking "If I don't go I'll have less money coming in and will be in trouble."

I'm only at college atm but I find that I have more of a panic about waking up later than normal for work than I do for college.
I try not to as a rule. As I don't live near campus I can't meet up to work with other students on projects so I have to make the most of Lectures/seminars.
That said I have missed lectures due to late buses/trains. Also I have skipped seminars as they have collided with last minute essay hand ins. Also I walked out of a seminar as I was getting nothing useful out of it. I even told the tutor to her face (needless to say she doesnt work there anymore).
Think OP should have done a distance learning/OU course-wouldve saved themselves loadsa money!
While I won't judge, remember that you're paying to be on your course and for the lecturer's time, so by skipping lectures your effectively wasting your money.
I haven't missed any. All lectures are registered and are compulsory - NMC requirement for so many theory hours.
Reply 45
As much as I can while working around departmental rules about attendence.
Reply 46
I've missed one lecture and one seminar. The lecture was because I was hungover. Bad reason, I know but I got the notes from someone else so I caught up. The seminar because it was pointless. I wish I hadn't missed these two, though :/
Reply 47
I don't skip them, because I'll have to track the presentation on the website anyway to get the notes later on, so I might as well go and have the lecturer explain it them at the same time.

My flatmates have missed a fair few, apart from one, who has to register in every lecture, I only have to register every seminar, and again I go to every one, because if I miss more than 2/3 then I fail the Module.
Never.
First year I probably missed half the lectures. I didn't even realise til it came to exam time and I realised I had no idea what was on half the syllabus.
This year I think I've missed two - one because I forgot it was on and the other because it was a subject I did an essay on in first year.
If you genuinely feel you're as well off not going to them then it doesn't matter much.
I only have one hour of actual lectures a week. The rest are seminars in which the attendance is compulsory. For every seminar I miss, even if I email with a reason, I lose 2% (or that is their threat anyway, I don't know how true it is, and don't particularly want to find out!) for that module. I've missed one class so far this term, because I had a hospital appointment at home, and couldn't be in both places. I'm going to miss one on Tuesday too, because he rescheduled another class and moved it to then and I can't make it, but he said he won't penalize because of the situation. But yeah... I only have 9 hours a week... so I don't really see the point in missing them!
Reply 51
Original post by problemsolver
I do

:biggrin: yay! I think i've missed around 3 days so far. I'm sorely tempted every morning because I have 9am's every day without fail monday to saturday. Doesn't help that in one module without fail I seem to be falling sleep after 10 mins in the lecture but I feel too guilty to skip it.
Original post by whyumadtho
Never.

wow you should write about that in your book
i go to about 15% of my lectures and im in 2nd year. i just find them pointless. all lectures are on the uni website, and i find myself sitting in them not actually learning anything anyway
I've missed two lectures so far. One due to me misreading the timetable (also was a class test :colondollar:) and another one because of an injury which caused me to be in A & E until 4am.
Reply 55
Original post by kerily
I've only missed two - one because I drank some very dodgy vodka (in a club, too!) and woke up paralysed the next morning.

So you got very drunk then...and had a bad hangover.
Original post by problemsolver
wow you should write about that in your book

Why do you have a problem with my consistent attendance to something for which I am paying just under £10k?
in my first year, i probs went to 2/3 of my lectures, went to my important core ones but skipped the others, i passed fairly easily in the end
now in my second year, was going well first few weeks, barely missed any, did really crap in a test and started missing lectures cos i was so far behind that i wouldnt understand anything if i went, also cocked up my sleeping patterns, so this week ive missed every single one cos i havent been able to get up in time :s-smilie: need to sort my life out :sigh:
Original post by Meeee :)
Question in the title.

I'm in my second year and I keep missing uni. I know I really shouldn't, but I'm finding it so hard to motivate myself because I really dislike my course. I'm completely on top of all my work and when discussing uni with my friends who do go to class, I feel I know as much, if not more than them because the guilt from not going in to uni makes me do further reading to make myself feel better!
I know which classes are really important so make the effort to go to them, I just struggle with the others. It's not like I sleep all day instead of going to uni, I do still work I just much prefer it and get on much better doing it alone or going to the library for a few hours. I'm in contact with my tutors regularly so I'm not missing out on important information that is given out.

I was awful in first year. I would miss full weeks of lectures and went to about 3 out of 15 for one module which I ended up failing. This year I've missed a few, some 9ams due to oversleeping. But I've managed to miss a full week this week - Monday I purposely missed because I was doing coursework, and hate stopping once I've got into it lol. Wednesday I woke up at 8.55 and there was no way I was going to walk into a lecture half an hour late, because I hate the looks people get when they walk in late. And missed today due to a hangover but nvm :smile: I've been doing coursework all night to make up for it! And I do feel really guilty when I miss one due to oversleeping or something and then go to the library for hours to make up for it.
Reply 59
Original post by simstar88
So you got very drunk then...and had a bad hangover.

Nah - I'd had one single vodka and lemonade (which is categorically not enough for me to get a hangover from) and woke up legitimately paralysed from the neck down. Everyone else I knew who was out with me the same night woke up in a similar predicament. That's not a hangover - it's to do with the actual dodgy alcohol you were drinking.

Latest

Trending

Trending