Dentistry Newcastle 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
$np
OP
Original post by Ayshizzle
They won't ignore it but they're not overly bothered by it :smile:

Hi guys, I'm a dental student at Newcastle. Feel free to ask any qu's :smile:

hi what year are you in? :smile: and how are you finding Newcastle! Wheres the best place to live for the first year?
Reply 21
Original post by ps3g4m3r
Thanks, will do. Doing final prep now, lets hope it goes well!!

Aww how'd it go?? Hope it went well! xx
Original post by $np
hi what year are you in? :smile: and how are you finding Newcastle! Wheres the best place to live for the first year?

I'm a first year, just got here =). It's good! Hard work but worth it lol. Ermm depends on what your budget is and whether you want to be catered or not tbh. Lots of people live in Castle Leazes, but Castle Court is far nicer (but is more expensive!). If you want to be really close Marris House is your best bet (but it's filled up with post- grads and gap- yearers as it's so popular). Ricky road is also really close but it's not that nice and it's REALLLY noisy (it's well known for being party central).
Reply 23
Original post by *QueenBeee
Aww how'd it go?? Hope it went well! xx

Thought it went ok, was a bit nervous but then got an offer before! :biggrin:
Reply 24
$np
OP
I'm a first year, just got here =). It's good! Hard work but worth it lol. Ermm depends on what your budget is and whether you want to be catered or not tbh. Lots of people live in Castle Leazes, but Castle Court is far nicer (but is more expensive!). If you want to be really close Marris House is your best bet (but it's filled up with post- grads and gap- yearers as it's so popular). Ricky road is also really close but it's not that nice and it's REALLLY noisy (it's well known for being party central).

oh wicked! yes i warned on my interview day not to stay at ricky road! wont get any sleep! oh wicked im a gap year and yes i was heading more towards marris house! I want self catered! where are you staying at the mo?
whats the work load like? do you have 9-5 lectures most days?
thanks for all your help!
Original post by $np
oh wicked! yes i warned on my interview day not to stay at ricky road! wont get any sleep! oh wicked im a gap year and yes i was heading more towards marris house! I want self catered! where are you staying at the mo?
whats the work load like? do you have 9-5 lectures most days?
thanks for all your help!

I was at Marris House but ended up moving out and into a house for reasons I don;t want to stick up on here! It was nice though =)

Work load is gettin a bit horrendous lol. First half of term is cell biology and physiology (with a bit of dentistry thrown in) which is fine, but then in the second half the anatomy module kicks in and it's a NIGHTMARE. You need to know what everything from the neck upwards does. And I mean literally everything. And there's even more modules added. This is all added together for the Jan exam, and then the summer exams consist of everything from the whole year! So yeah, pretty stressful. But we have a gd dentsoc to relieve your stress lol.

We're not in 9-5 everyday, and we have 1 hr gaps in between most lectures which you're meant to do work in (but I never do).

It's all good fun though =) is it your first choice?
Reply 26
I was at Marris House but ended up moving out and into a house for reasons I don;t want to stick up on here! It was nice though =)

Work load is gettin a bit horrendous lol. First half of term is cell biology and physiology (with a bit of dentistry thrown in) which is fine, but then in the second half the anatomy module kicks in and it's a NIGHTMARE. You need to know what everything from the neck upwards does. And I mean literally everything. And there's even more modules added. This is all added together for the Jan exam, and then the summer exams consist of everything from the whole year! So yeah, pretty stressful. But we have a gd dentsoc to relieve your stress lol.

We're not in 9-5 everyday, and we have 1 hr gaps in between most lectures which you're meant to do work in (but I never do).

Was it to shack up with your BF AndyPandy? :wink::tongue: Practice some OCSE oral exams on each other, play simulated patients :lol:
Original post by mooot
Was it to shack up with your BF AndyPandy? :wink::tongue: Practice some OCSE oral exams on each other, play simulated patients :lol:

Try stupid flatmates instead.

HAHA now you mention it we did do some DIY dentistry the other day...

And how does everyone know he's my bf?!
Reply 28
Try stupid flatmates instead.

HAHA now you mention it we did do some DIY dentistry the other day...

And how does everyone know he's my bf?!

it's common knowledge on TSR
Reply 29
$np
OP

wicked! yes it is, newcastle looks pretty amazing! yes I was thinking Marris House! Is there a particular book your using for the first part?
and wow sounds like a lot of work!
Original post by $np
wicked! yes it is, newcastle looks pretty amazing! yes I was thinking Marris House! Is there a particular book your using for the first part?
and wow sounds like a lot of work!

Erm there's 3 books you'll defo need- a physiology book by Silverthorn, Liebgott's Anatomical Basis of Dentistry, and it's good to have the Atlas of Head and Neck anatomy by McMinn. There's also a dental anatomy colouring book which is good fun :smile:.

In the first term the cell biology lecturer (John Taylor) will try his hardest to get you to buy a cell biology textbook (cos he gets some commission from the sales) but DON'T BUY IT. You don't need it much after the first 6 weeks and it costs like 40 quid or something- complete waste of money!

Obvs you'll need more textbooks as you go along but you'll find out about those in 2nd year and beyond :smile:
Reply 31
$np
OP
Original post by LizzieMR
when they say on their email for interview that proof of manual dexterity isnt required do they want us to not bring anything? Cause i have stuff, should i still bring it and just be eager or will they think ive ignored what theyve said? x

I dont think they are bothered about it, they will prob just ask about it from your ps if they are interested in it. I didn't take any because I thought they would think I ignored what they said in the email
Original post by $np
I dont think they are bothered about it, they will prob just ask about it from your ps if they are interested in it. I didn't take any because I thought they would think I ignored what they said in the email

Totally agree - I didn't take anything either and I thought it seemed ignorant to ignore their instructions in the interview e-mail. They asked me about my manual dexterity that I'd wrote in my PS instead.
Reply 33
hey :smile: ive got an interview in january, what sort of things do they ask?
and where can i look for info in the news?
Reply 34
Original post by amybex
hey :smile: ive got an interview in january, what sort of things do they ask?
and where can i look for info in the news?

Lots on your PS, make sure you know it quite well and just be confident!!
Newc. probably won't ask you on this stuff but other uni's might and a basic knowledge will serve you well!
http://www.dh.gov.uk/prod_consum_dh/groups/dh_digitalassets/@dh/@en/@ps/documents/digitalasset/dh_122789.pdf

some technologies
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/8470827.stm
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/7907192.stm

Good luck!!
Reply 35
thankyou! plus do i need to take contact numbers for work experience and record of acheivement?
and do i need to wear a suit? or something similar?
Reply 36

Hey, I have an interview next Friday... any tips?

Lots on your PS, make sure you know it quite well and just be confident!!
Newc. probably won't ask you on this stuff but other uni's might and a basic knowledge will serve you well!
http://www.dh.gov.uk/prod_consum_dh/groups/dh_digitalassets/@dh/@en/@ps/documents/digitalasset/dh_122789.pdf

some technologies
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/8470827.stm
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/7907192.stm

Good luck!!
hi can someone help me with directions to the dental school for interview pleaseeeeeeeeeeee :smile:
if i'm not wrong is the entrance to the dental school general office through the building which says "the faculty of medical sciences"?
Reply 38
Original post by $np
erm dundee leeds and manchester :smile: and it was fine. so friendly. make sure you can answer any question on your personal statement and you will be fine. and know something in the news :smile: NEWCASTLE IS AMAZING

Heyyy :smile:
I have mine tomorrow and I'm quite nervous! Do you mean news as in general news and/or the latest dental news?
Original post by bubbletrouble
hi can someone help me with directions to the dental school for interview pleaseeeeeeeeeeee :smile:
if i'm not wrong is the entrance to the dental school general office through the building which says "the faculty of medical sciences"?

You go through the faculty of medical sciences door, and then turn right, there is a double door infront of you - if I remember correctly, and the Dental School recpetion is straight ahead of you, once you go through the double doors. I think.

Quick Reply

Latest