The Student Room Group

AQA AS Geography resit January 18th 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I really hope the grade boundary is low in this exam. Just realised that my revision book doesnt have everything on the specification on it...exams tomorrow...NICE ONE MATE!
Reply 21
Good luck everyone. :smile:
Reply 22
Good luck guys! Panic central here.
This exam is an absolute ballache. Although never fear everyone else...it will be the third time I've made a goer of this exam. Any tips?! I'm one of these people who is extremely good at talking myself out of an answer!

Does anyone have any resources/ revision notes I could perhaps have a nosey at?

Good luck everyone!
Reply 24
Original post by tayls_yorkshire
This exam is an absolute ballache. Although never fear everyone else...it will be the third time I've made a goer of this exam. Any tips?! I'm one of these people who is extremely good at talking myself out of an answer!

Does anyone have any resources/ revision notes I could perhaps have a nosey at?

Good luck everyone!

Bit late for revision notes :P I'm the same as you in talking myself out of an answer, just keep re-reading the question as you write your answer to reinforce it, also highlight the important parts of the question.
How did everyone find it? What did you all think were the hard questions?? And did you think it was any easier than last years summer exam?
Original post by sticklebrick93
How did everyone find it? What did you all think were the hard questions?? And did you think it was any easier than last years summer exam?

We're limited to as what we can discuss on the exam until midnight...

But I thought it was easier than last year, and I thought it was OK. Just hoping I got that one extra UMS.
considering I did no revision at all for this exam, i feel i did alright tbh! around the same as last year on difficulty level i think!
I feel it well, definitely went better than last year
Reply 29
I was very surprised, it seemed to go better than last time and I was much calmer as well, so fingers crossed for March or whenever results come out! :biggrin:
Reply 30
I was wondering if anyone could help me with a few questions I had about the exam
1. Rivers Section- what were we meant to do for the delta sketch thing? was it just redrawing and decription? what sort of description?

2. Population Section- The table we had on like russia, uk, nigeria, had something to do with natural decrease? what were we meant to say? just stuff why russia was experiencing a fall in population for instance?
Also on the population section, the 15 marker.... I just went through each stage and said the effect that population would have on structure, + gave case studies

3. Energy section- What were we meant to write about the conflicts. I think it was something to do with Russia aquiring the arctic or something? What does appropriate technology mean? does it include stuff like using solar cooking (or something like that) in areas with above average radiation?

Any help will be appreciated:smile::smile:
Reply 31
I thought the exam went well overall, some questions were rushed at the end due to me spending too much time on certain questions. Hopefully I come out with a good grade.

Am I correct in thinking that on the june 2011 exam you needed 70/120 for an A?
Reply 32
Original post by Bpm2012
I thought the exam went well overall, some questions were rushed at the end due to me spending too much time on certain questions. Hopefully I come out with a good grade.

Am I correct in thinking that on the june 2011 exam you needed 70/120 for an A?

Yes, in June 2011 it was 70/120 for an A.
Original post by Kafeel
I was wondering if anyone could help me with a few questions I had about the exam
1. Rivers Section- what were we meant to do for the delta sketch thing? was it just redrawing and decription? what sort of description?

2. Population Section- The table we had on like russia, uk, nigeria, had something to do with natural decrease? what were we meant to say? just stuff why russia was experiencing a fall in population for instance?
Also on the population section, the 15 marker.... I just went through each stage and said the effect that population would have on structure, + gave case studies

3. Energy section- What were we meant to write about the conflicts. I think it was something to do with Russia aquiring the arctic or something? What does appropriate technology mean? does it include stuff like using solar cooking (or something like that) in areas with above average radiation?

Any help will be appreciated:smile::smile:

We were meant to give the effects? I just described it at each stage in detail. :'( oh ****E

I don't think we were meant to give reasons for the table though, it was only like 4-5 marks as I remember, you were just meant to comment on it

For the delta thing I just redrew it and gave it some labels like river channel, tributaries, vegetation etc, don't know if it was right though. :/ we never even got taught about deltas, absolute nightmare

and I did health not energy sorrrry :P
Reply 34
Ok cheers.. about the table.. what sort of comments did you make, if you don't mind me asking?

Reply 35
I did Rivers, Population, Hot Deserts Envs and Health. Thought it went really well. Last time I completely messed my timing up so didn't get all of the questions answered but this time I was doing fine for time!! Hope I get a B at least. Only question which I found difficult was the very very last one of health 'What are the causes and consequences of periodic famine' 15 marks. I panicked cos of the time but think I may have got like...half marks.. haha
Reply 36
did any one do food and coastal environments? were we meant to state the effects on population structure in each stage of DTM??? i think i just went through it with a few examples (eg. youthful population, poor health care, low life expetancy, lack of family planning... (nigeria)... i feel this may have been a little off the point. ha oh well.
Reply 37
Does anyone know when the mark scheme is out? or if its going to be posted on here?
What did people put for the coastal environments 15 marker about rising sea levels?
Reply 39
Original post by Rob4rugby
What did people put for the coastal environments 15 marker about rising sea levels?

Thought it was a bit unexpected. I put about the increases in flooding and the effects that would have, then about coastlines of emergence and the effects they would have, good and bad. Looking back i should have said something about wildlife

Quick Reply

Latest