The Student Room Group
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol

Bristol Firmers 2012

Name (optional):
Course:
Offer:
Which accommodation are you thinking of?
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Reggio
Hey guys, this is a thread for people who are firming or at least considering firming Bristol for 2012. Say what you are going to study, your offer and discuss accommodation etc freely :smile: I'll be doing Social Policy and I have an unconditional offer :biggrin: I also quite like Wills and Manor Hall as accommodation possibilities

you haven't applied for SP at LSE have you ?
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol
Reply 2
Original post by tans8701
you haven't applied for SP at LSE have you ?

SP + Politics lol You?
Reply 3
Original post by Reggio
SP + Politics lol You?

both
sp
and
sp with econ

any news ??
Law (M100), and am highly considering firming. Bristol seems like a great university, and a great city :smile:

In terms of accommodation, i'm leaning towards Hiatt Baker at the moment. I'm not particularly bothered about the quality of the hall as long as it's liveable, I just want to be somewhere with a good atmosphere and a bit of fun :P

p.s. Has anyone considered making a Facebook group to run alongside the thread? It seemed to be done last year with universities from what I saw.
Reply 5
both
sp
and
sp with econ

any news ??

Nah man, I applied to Politics and Philosophy last year and got rejected in late March :s-smilie: Hoping if they reject me they do it earlier lol But anyways, Bristol is the way lol
Original post by Reggio
Hey guys, this is a thread for people who are firming or at least considering firming Bristol for 2012. Say what you are going to study, your offer and discuss accommodation etc freely :smile: I'll be doing Social Policy and I have an unconditional offer :biggrin: I also quite like Wills and Manor Hall as accommodation possibilities

Hey, I'm a current social policy student feel free to pm me any qs :smile: x
Reply 7
Original post by aimlessinwonder
Law (M100), and am highly considering firming. Bristol seems like a great university, and a great city :smile:

In terms of accommodation, i'm leaning towards Hiatt Baker at the moment. I'm not particularly bothered about the quality of the hall as long as it's liveable, I just want to be somewhere with a good atmosphere and a bit of fun :P

p.s. Has anyone considered making a Facebook group to run alongside the thread? It seemed to be done last year with universities from what I saw.

Nice! Yeah Hiatt Baker seems great, and plus seeing as it is the largest hall, it might also be the most lively, but I prefer being closer to the uni itself :s-smilie:
Reply 8
Original post by Reggio
Nah man, I applied to Politics and Philosophy last year and got rejected in late March :s-smilie: Hoping if they reject me they do it earlier lol But anyways, Bristol is the way lol

yh bristol is next after lse if pure social policy is your thing i am much more interested in it with econ although even doing straight sp has sh1t loads of flexibility which is the best thing about them dont know if bristol would be as flexible or as transferrable as just the name lse lets you do what you want within reason.

and its alot more easier to gain entry if you do it str8 the stats make for interesting reading
Original post by Reggio
Nice! Yeah Hiatt Baker seems great, and plus seeing as it is the largest hall, it might also be the most lively, but I prefer being closer to the uni itself :s-smilie:

I seriously considered being in the Clifton area but when it comes down to it, if most of the people are at Stoke Bishop then i'd much rather be there (where the party is B) ). Not to mention the walk from SB to the university will help burn off all the **** i'll most likely be eating as a poverty-stricken student :P
Reply 10
yh bristol is next after lse if pure social policy is your thing i am much more interested in it with econ although even doing straight sp has sh1t loads of flexibility which is the best thing about them dont know if bristol would be as flexible or as transferrable as just the name lse lets you do what you want within reason.

and its alot more easier to gain entry if you do it str8 the stats make for interesting reading

Well I mean I applied for SP + Politics for Bristol as well, but they offered me straight SP, which I don't mind tbh. If that happens for LSE, again I don't mind too much lol When I look at the course itself (for Bristol), you can do a lot of optional modules, but whether this stretches out to other departments is yet to be known lol I guess I'll have to wait until the visit day to find out
I'm probably firming for Physics :smile: Thinking about Durdham hall as it is new, Wills seemed a bit too formal on the open day, and Hiatt Baker looked a bit rundown. Was thinking about the Clifton residences, but I know most undergraduates are based in Stoke Bishop, so although Clifton is closer, I don't want to be away from the action!
Reply 12
Original post by aimlessinwonder
I seriously considered being in the Clifton area but when it comes down to it, if most of the people are at Stoke Bishop then i'd much rather be there (where the party is B) ). Not to mention the walk from SB to the university will help burn off all the **** i'll most likely be eating as a poverty-stricken student :P

haha :biggrin: I don't know tbh, but I can say that my friend is at Manor Hall and I actually stayed over a couple of months ago, and it was quite good - a bit cold because there is no carpet, but the general environment was quite good - free pool, table tennis, cheap drinks at the bar etc etc and every time we saw one of the wardens, he would always make those jokes you would normally see on the back of Penguin bars, which was quite a nice, unintentional, touch lol
Reply 13
Original post by Reggio
Well I mean I applied for SP + Politics for Bristol as well, but they offered me straight SP, which I don't mind tbh. If that happens for LSE, again I don't mind too much lol When I look at the course itself (for Bristol), you can do a lot of optional modules, but whether this stretches out to other departments is yet to be known lol I guess I'll have to wait until the visit day to find out

yh thats a minor establish your self hand in some good pieces of work which have been well researched on and you will kinda make a name for your self and that will let you transfer around universities are alot more flexible then they may appear to be from the outside.
Original post by NuclearFusion
I'm probably firming for Physics :smile: Thinking about Durdham hall as it is new, Wills seemed a bit too formal on the open day, and Hiatt Baker looked a bit rundown. Was thinking about the Clifton residences, but I know most undergraduates are based in Stoke Bishop, so although Clifton is closer, I don't want to be away from the action!

I've heard Durdham has a reputation for being the 'quiet' hall, though I could be mistaken. Obviously a social life is what you make of it, but I don't think I could handle being somewhere dull :P
Reply 15

lol I don't know man, Stoke Bishop sounds me to me like Warwick (even though I applied there):tongue: :biggrin:
Original post by Reggio
lol I don't know man, Stoke Bishop sounds me to me like Warwick (even though I applied there):tongue: :biggrin:

Like Warwick in what way? I'm guessing that's a bad thing?
Can't decide whether to firm Bristol for chemistry or not! It looks so much fun... Guy at my interview day said Stoke bishop halls are where it is at
Reply 18
Like Warwick in what way? I'm guessing that's a bad thing?

Just in the sense that it has a very campus-like feel to it - a bit ironic considering I applied to Warwick lol No, but in all honesty, I do like Warwick, they have great societies (e.g. skydiving) and generally very good facilities and so on, but I feel that it is a little isolated, and a student-only environment is not something I would condemn, but if I had a choice I would prefer a city hall of residence
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 19
Original post by Chow mein
Can't decide whether to firm Bristol for chemistry or not! It looks so much fun... Guy at my interview day said Stoke bishop halls are where it is at

Hey, I'm doing chemistry. PM me if you want to know anything :smile:

Quick Reply