The Student Room Group

Do not do IB. Ever.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by FlamingIceCube
Less than 10% of UK students get AAA at A Level that represents about 3% of UK 18 year olds. Then consider the people who get A's in Media Studies, Drama, Art, General Studies, Critical Thinking etc getting AAA is quite a hard thing to do

Actually 40% of A2 students got AAA or better at A Level last year.

<3 x
Reply 81
Original post by LETSJaM
Actually 40% of A2 students got AAA or better at A Level last year.

<3 x

Lol. It's 7% for CIE and 3% to get A* at each individual subject
AAA is not 'easy to obtain' as you proclaim

Yes it is. I would love to study Maths, Chemistry and Physics, and just sit there and study for exams. These are subjects that I love. Whereas with IB, I have to study these subjects, 3 others (English, SPanish, Biology < all a retarded waste of time), do an extended essay, CAS (150 hours of BS), TOK (utter BS) and god knows what else just to pass this ****.

At the same time I need incredibly high grades to study engineering at the uni I want to study at. IB is pathetic. You cannot compare it to A levels. I know a girl who left IB for A levels, and she said it was the best decision she has ever made. Stop talking out of your ass. Thank you.
Reply 83
Original post by Azland
Lol. It's 7% for CIE and 3% to get A* at each individual subject

CIE???

<3 x
AAA is not 'easy to obtain' as you proclaim

Actually it is and OP makes a really good point. As A lvls have been dumbed down yet IB have not, it means that A lvls are the easiest option by far, especially now that an A is equivalent to a B only a few years ago.

EDIT: Who ever neg'ed me need to face reality and get a past paper from 5 years ago, then 10 rather than pretending everything is the same :rolleyes:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by LETSJaM
CIE???

<3 x

Cambridge International Examinations.
Reply 86
Original post by Blackshadow
Cambridge International Examinations.

Well it was just a statistic quoted to me by the director of studies at school, he was talking about A-levels.

<3 x
Reply 87
Original post by LETSJaM
Well it was just a statistic quoted to me by the director of studies at school, he was talking about A-levels.

<3 x

Yeah, I dont disagree with your statistic and it is probably right aswell. It's just that CIE is on a different scale from UK boards and is not really included in that statistic.
Reply 88
Original post by Azland
Yeah, I dont disagree with your statistic and it is probably right aswell. It's just that CIE is on a different scale from UK boards and is not really included in that statistic.

Thats cool.

<3 x
Reply 89
I'm currently doing the IB, and taking it has been one of the best choices I've made. I was an A* student allround at IGCSE, and I have a genuine interest in learning in pretty much all areas. Doing the IB has allowed me to keep some subjects that I would have dropped had I done A levels, yet still do all the subjects I need for university (I want to study chemistry) at HL. I'm also coming out of a crisis point (caused by HL maths... no surprises there), during which I became so disheartened and depressed and changed my mind twice about the degree I wanted to do. If I had taken A levels, the same problem would have come up but with A level maths, only I would have taken Maths, Further maths, physics and chemistry so I would have had to change all my A levels. This would have meant I wouldn't be able to change my mind again to chemistry, and I would have been stuck with International Relations. So yes, it caused lots of problems, but it also enabled me to keep my options open and my studying varied subjects at a more serious level, it let me see what I really wanted to do.

It's also a life saver for international students. Without it, I'd have been stuck in the French Bac, in which there's no way I'd have got more than 14 due to the language nuances, and that would never get me into where I want to go!

So yes, the IB is not for everyone, but if you can handle it, it can really help you in you choices. And universities are getting better with it too.
Reply 90
I have only glanced over other comments made...but I did IB last year and thought I would add my opinion for what its worth :smile:
I don't think that IB is more difficult than A Levels, just that it is probably more work as you have to do six subjects as well as the essay, CAS and TOK.
Another point is the whole university thing - as IB is not as known as A Levels the offers vary so much - for example for my course (English Lit with Creative writing) both UEA and Warwick wanted 3 A's, whilst in terms of IB UEA wanted 34 points and Warwick wanted 38 points (quite a big difference). So a lot of unis don't seem to be sure on how the system works, even I'm not sure what the equivalents are.
So it just depends on what you want to do - a vague answer but looking at uni offers and how motivated you are would probably help in that often debated argument of A levels vs. IB.
:smile:
Original post by Jacinthe
I'm currently doing the IB, and taking it has been one of the best choices I've made. I was an A* student allround at IGCSE, and I have a genuine interest in learning in pretty much all areas. Doing the IB has allowed me to keep some subjects that I would have dropped had I done A levels, yet still do all the subjects I need for university (I want to study chemistry) at HL. I'm also coming out of a crisis point (caused by HL maths... no surprises there), during which I became so disheartened and depressed and changed my mind twice about the degree I wanted to do. If I had taken A levels, the same problem would have come up but with A level maths, only I would have taken Maths, Further maths, physics and chemistry so I would have had to change all my A levels. This would have meant I wouldn't be able to change my mind again to chemistry, and I would have been stuck with International Relations. So yes, it caused lots of problems, but it also enabled me to keep my options open and my studying varied subjects at a more serious level, it let me see what I really wanted to do.

It's also a life saver for international students. Without it, I'd have been stuck in the French Bac, in which there's no way I'd have got more than 14 due to the language nuances, and that would never get me into where I want to go!

So yes, the IB is not for everyone, but if you can handle it, it can really help you in you choices. And universities are getting better with it too.

You're wrong. HL maths is not comparable to A level maths and further maths.
A level maths and further maths are far, far easier, and can be easily overcome with a bit of hard work. HL maths is a different matter.
Had you done A levels you would never had had a crisis.
Reply 92
I'm doing the IB, and I'm finding it extremely difficult. It's okay in the first year, but the second half of the second year is when it drives you mad. Obviously, some people really like it, but most don't. I'm predicted 37 points and when I work hard I actually do get 35 without bonus, (And I'm aiming for 3 bonus points) but it's just a struggle. If I could have gone back in time and taken A-levels, I would have.

Maybe A-level subjects aren't necessarily easier than IB subjects, but we take double the amount of subjects, plus CAS, EE, and TOK. A useless amount of extra work, in my opinion. CAS is complete rubbish. You can't force someone to do community service, if it isn't voluntary it's meaningless! And how are you supposed to get a signature for every creative activity/ sporting activity you do? It's fairly common for people to do creative stuff/ play sports unsupervised, so for me CAS is the most irritating part of the IB.

But TOK's actually nice, it's the one thing I like. EE can be really interesting too, if you're passionate about your topic. Then again, those count only for a maximum of 3 points. The compulsion of taking Math and a foreign language is the second most annoying aspect. I'd be happy if was just 4 subjects, plus EE and TOK. The IB system is really flawed though, and you end up putting in a lot of hard work which doesn't always show in your final results.
I agree IB is terrible.
it went so appallingly at my last school they shut it down after only 2 years :rolleyes:
Reply 95
Yes, I agree. I'm a past IB candidate, and am now cleaning up my mess by doing A-levels on top of it. Two years of my life down the drain, really :/
That being said, I do know some people who really excelled in the IB. But it just depends what sort of student you are. There are students who just don't work well in certain subjects, just like yours truly. I found some of the compulsory subjects really difficult. I wish you could replace science subjects with humanities, etc.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 96
Original post by Serentonin
Except for the fact it is harder. I got 2 As in A levels (Maths and chem, so nothing 'soft', and before A*s were rolled out) WHEN I WAS 15.

I did the IB after, when I was 16/17 and it's WAY HARDER.

So stfu, you lot know nothing.

i need advice from you since you did both! able to help ?
Reply 97
I, personally, don't find IB very difficult. I actually want to be a bit rounded rather than just excel in certain disciplines. Yes, I'm not doing great in French, but I'd much rather have the chance to know another language (probably my 4th language) than just have 4 subjects and ease through high school.

Also, who says courses aren't relevant to your field? For example I want to go to engineering. My school has a requirement that we must take English in the higher level. Also, we do not have a physics teacher who can teach at the higher level. But, I still took HL Math, HL Chemistry (it's a breeze btw), HL English, SL French, SL Physics and SL Economics.

I mean, all of these are related to the field I'm planning to go in; civil engineering. Math, Chemistry and physics for an obvious reason. The others are also related, English helps with communication, French - being multilingual is great in general, and a HS sense of economics will help with project managing (or help build up to management courses, or just help with business if I plan to go into it later on).

I mean, my cousin does A-Levels and from what he tells me from his courses, I can see IB and A-Levels on parity (although A-Levels is more practical, whereas I think IB spurs creative thinking).

Oh, and CAS is fun. TOK is probably one of my favourite courses. It honestly helps me think very differently, and I even contemplated taking philosophy as a university graduate.
Original post by Bloodrazor
I, personally, don't find IB very difficult. I actually want to be a bit rounded rather than just excel in certain disciplines. Yes, I'm not doing great in French, but I'd much rather have the chance to know another language (probably my 4th language) than just have 4 subjects and ease through high school.

Also, who says courses aren't relevant to your field? For example I want to go to engineering. My school has a requirement that we must take English in the higher level. Also, we do not have a physics teacher who can teach at the higher level. But, I still took HL Math, HL Chemistry (it's a breeze btw), HL English, SL French, SL Physics and SL Economics.

I mean, all of these are related to the field I'm planning to go in; civil engineering. Math, Chemistry and physics for an obvious reason. The others are also related, English helps with communication, French - being multilingual is great in general, and a HS sense of economics will help with project managing (or help build up to management courses, or just help with business if I plan to go into it later on).

I mean, my cousin does A-Levels and from what he tells me from his courses, I can see IB and A-Levels on parity (although A-Levels is more practical, whereas I think IB spurs creative thinking).

Oh, and CAS is fun. TOK is probably one of my favourite courses. It honestly helps me think very differently, and I even contemplated taking philosophy as a university graduate.

What complete utter nonsense.

I do not recommend taking this subjective advice. You have to work hard for high grades in the IB, not just 'breeze' through it. Not just me but all other 99% of IBers actually work hard for our grades :mad:
Reply 99
I'm not saying you don't have to work hard but I think people stress waaaay too much about work and whatnot in IB. Maybe it might be just my school, but most people tend to do fairly well (most people are 34-38 points final), and they don't do it by stressing and complaining about work all the time.

And if you plan to excel in anything you have to work hard, but when I said it wasn't THAT DIFFICULT, I meant that people are exaggerating too much on the difficulty.

Quick Reply

Latest