The Student Room Group

Is it ever acceptable to hit a woman?

I was in Birmingham the other day, and this 25 year old woman was behind me exiting a shop. I forgot to hold the door open for her, and she got angry and slapped her. i slapped her back, and she ran away.

I personally think society is too PC, and self-defence is an absolute right. She also had poor social skills, so I don't care lol...

Scroll to see replies

I think society IS too PC. If she acted like that and she hit you first, then yes you should hit her back. Probably not a full blown punch because as equal as we'd like to be, we'll never be equal physically, men will always have a higher muscle mass (on average) than women and can do more damage. But I'd get mad if I was a guy and a woman was hitting me and I felt like I had to let her just keep hitting me and I wasn't allowed do anything.
If someone hits you, you have the right to defend yourself. It's always wrong to attack someone though.

The thing that annoys me are old fashioned men who say it's always wrong to hit a woman no matter the circumstance, no logic or reasoning, it's just black and white like that.

If you hit someone first, you must be able to deal with the consequences.
Hitting a woman is ok if she hits you first but if you are very obviously and definitely stronger than her I think you should adapt the force of your hit accordingly so as not to show that you have an unfair advantage.

Though tbh in you situation I can't understand why she would hit over such a trivial thing, was she not capable of opening the door for herself?
Reply 4
Original post by hippieglitter
Hitting a woman is ok if she hits you first but if you are very obviously and definitely stronger than her I think you should adapt the force of your hit accordingly so as not to show that you have an unfair advantage.

Though tbh in you situation I can't understand why she would hit over such a trivial thing, was she not capable of opening the door for herself?

What about a man vs man brawl, when a 6ft 5 martial arts guy is facing a 5ft 3 guy of the same age who can't fight. Should he adapt the hit then?

I'm not one for hitting people, I usually attempt to restrain/keep the peace unless I have to beat the crap out of them to stop them.
Reply 5
No, but neither was it acceptable for her to hit you.
Pretty f'ing weird actually!!
Reply 6
Ok, I'm old fashioned and would say no.

If she slapped you, you could have just said "woah, easy there" or something along those lines. Just because someone slaps you, no need to do it back to them like that.

But then that's just me :rolleyes:
Original post by allspunout
Ok, I'm old fashioned and would say no.

If she slapped you, you could have just said "woah, easy there" or something along those lines. Just because someone slaps you, no need to do it back to them like that.

But then that's just me :rolleyes:

If you'd do the same if a man hit you then fair enough but if not, that doesn't make any sense.
Reply 8
Original post by Wilfred Little
If you'd do the same if a man hit you then fair enough but if not, that doesn't make any sense.

Well I wouldn't be inclined to hit a guy either, I tend to think there're better ways to go about resolving disputes than hitting people, and I never have done so yet.

However, illogical or not, there's just something about hitting a girl that makes me uneasy.
Original post by allspunout
Well I wouldn't be inclined to hit a guy either, I tend to think there're better ways to go about resolving disputes than hitting people, and I never have done so yet.

However, illogical or not, there's just something about hitting a girl that makes me uneasy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=auiYBtx-Vxw

The guy on this video makes me sick. There she is slapping him and he says "I won't hit you back because you're a girl".

That girl will now think she can get away with it and could hit someone else, they could fall and die, or she could hit someone who is much, much more aggressive than that man who will do her serious harm.

You have to show that this behaviour isn't acceptable. All you will achieve by letting women hit you because they're women is them doing it to more people. It's wrong.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=auiYBtx-Vxw

The guy on this video makes me sick. There she is slapping him and he says "I won't hit you back because you're a girl".

That girl will now think she can get away with it and could hit someone else, they could fall and die, or she could hit someone who is much, much more aggressive than that man who will do her serious harm.

You have to show that this behaviour isn't acceptable. All you will achieve by letting women hit you because they're women is them doing it to more people. It's wrong.

I appreciate what you're saying, however as I said above, I think there are better ways to try and diffuse situations rather than hitting people back. Retalitation (whether to a guy or a girl) generally isn't a good thing and only ends in someone being seriously hurt.
The reason I'm going to say no is because people often underappreciate how much more fragile women are than men. I know I can be knocked down easily as **** and I'm average.
Original post by Dragonfly07
The reason I'm going to say no is because people often underappreciate how much more fragile women are than men. I know I can be knocked down easily as **** and I'm average.

They should think about that before slapping one then. Fair?
I would never hit a girl, although if she hit me a couple of times I'd push her away. If she falls on her arse all the better. :h:
If she hits first, why not? We women want to be equals so we have to take the bad with the good. I'd say it was fair game if I hit a guy and he hit me back.
They should think about that before slapping one then. Fair?

Nope not fair. If a woman slaps you it'll barely do anything, maybe burn a bit. You slap a woman you can give her a concussion.
Original post by jazzykinks
If she hits first, why not? We women want to be equals so we have to take the bad with the good. I'd say it was fair game if I hit a guy and he hit me back.

We want equal opportunities, most of us don't delude ourselves about having equal strength. It just doesn't exist.

I'd expect to be punished equally as a guy for hitting anyone, but a man hitting a woman is just vile.
Original post by Dragonfly07
Nope not fair. If a woman slaps you it'll barely do anything, maybe burn a bit. You slap a woman you can give her a concussion.

So? That's irrelevant.

A man who is 5ft tall and weighs 7 stone won't slap a man who is 6ft and weighs 13 stone because he knows he'll get hit back and won't win the fight, so he doesn't do it.

Women slap men because they think they won't get hit back. It's positive discrimination, sexism basically.
Original post by jazzykinks

I respect this post.
So? That's irrelevant.

A man who is 5ft tall and weighs 7 stone won't slap a man who is 6ft and weighs 13 stone because he knows he'll get hit back and won't win the fight, so he doesn't do it.

Women slap men because they think they won't get hit back. It's positive discrimination, sexism basically.

Did I ever say that women are allowed to hit men? No.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending