The Student Room Group

MSc Petroleum Geoscience/Engineering Distance Learning

I graduated a few years back with a BSc in Geology and I am currently employed full time however I wish to do my masters but I would be unable to take a year out to do so due to commitments.

So I was wondering has anyone tried doing an MSc via distance learning?

The only ones I can find at the moment in Petroleum are:
Heriot Watt - MSc in Petroleum Engineering
Royal Holloway - MSc in Petroleum Geoscience

Trouble is the Imperial one is almost double the cost of the Heriot Watt one but I may be able to get help funding up to 50% of the costs.

I cannot seem to find any others, the MSc at Aberdeen would be good but unfortunately they will not offer part time or distance learning.

It would likely take me about 3 years to complete but at least I would be doing it in my own time and working.

When applying for jobs in this sector do the companies look at whether it was a distance course or are they not bothered and just interested in a MSc. Ie do they hole the same weight as a 1 year MSc?
(edited 12 years ago)
I think RGU offer their masters in petroleum engineering via distance learning/online.

An MSc is an MSc whether it was studied for full time or part time.
Reply 2
Smack, the RGU MSc is more engineering, whereas the HW seems to cover more geoscience.
Original post by madpandy
I graduated a few years back with a BSc in Geology and I am currently employed full time however I wish to do my masters but I would be unable to take a year out to do so due to commitments.

So I was wondering has anyone tried doing an MSc via distance learning?

The only ones I can find at the moment in Petroleum are:
Heriot Watt - MSc in Petroleum Engineering
Imperial - MSc in Petroleum Geoscience

Trouble is the Imperial one is almost double the cost of the Heriot Watt one but I may be able to get help funding up to 50% of the costs.

I cannot seem to find any others, the MSc at Aberdeen would be good but unfortunately they will not offer part time or distance learning.

It would likely take me about 3 years to complete but at least I would be doing it in my own time and working.

When applying for jobs in this sector do the companies look at whether it was a distance course or are they not bothered and just interested in a MSc. Ie do they hole the same weight as a 1 year MSc?

Didn't know Imperial offered it by DL. Royal Holloway offer a petroleum geoscience MSc, Im sure it'll hold the same weight. Just depends on how you sell it and yourself. Ideally you'd get a company to sponsor you.
Reply 4
Original post by Herr Stamper
Didn't know Imperial offered it by DL. Royal Holloway offer a petroleum geoscience MSc, Im sure it'll hold the same weight. Just depends on how you sell it and yourself. Ideally you'd get a company to sponsor you.

Apologies, you are right, it was Royal Holloway.
http://www.londoninternational.ac.uk/prospective_students/postgraduate/holloway/petro_geoscience/

:smile:
Reply 5
Guys, please can any one guide me on which University to apply for a distance learning programme in Petroleum Geoscience (MSc). One that's not to expensive but have an engineering curriculum. Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending