The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Ask a Current UCL Student: The Official Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ivanka
I'm not sure if I understand your second question, but your halls are chosen by the Accommodation Office and you can't appeal against their decision. However, you can swap your room or bed with someone else.

Allow me to rephrase my second question: do you know of any friends who blogged/tumblr-ed/ranted on the internet about his/her accommodation in UCL?

Swap rooms? Would that involve a lot of paperworks? Would you be able to elaborate roughly on how it's done?
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
If there are any current Biomedical Sciences students on here can you please tell me a bit about coursework in first year? How often it's set and the formats it takes :smile: thanks
Reply 2362
Original post by johnconnor92
Allow me to rephrase my second question: do you know of any friends who blogged/tumblr-ed/ranted on the internet about his/her accommodation in UCL?

Swap rooms? Would that involve a lot of paperworks? Would you be able to elaborate roughly on how it's done?

I'm very sorry, but I personally don't know about anyone commenting on their accommodation publicly. I don't have any idea about room swaps either.
Reply 2363
Original post by glitterness
Absolutely brush up on your AS/A-level texts - if you can remember a couple of quotes, that's impressive (I ended up reciting several lines from 'Macbeth'!). Be prepared for a question that will make you have to think - for example, you may be asked about a theme or plot device in one of the texts that you haven't considered at A-level.

Check over your Personal Statement to remind yourself of what you said; you'll probably also be asked to talk about books that you've read outside the A-level set texts. If you don't understand a word the interviewer uses in a question (for example, 'universality'), don't try to cover that up - just ask what it means and then continue with your answer. The interviewers are not out to trip you up or make things difficult for you; they just want to offer you a challenge and hopefully have a nice chat about books!

The written exam is basically a piece of analytic writing - so the basic stuff like form, structure, vocabulary/any repetition thereof, why the author might be doing that, if it's poetry then metre, any enjambement, rhyme scheme, etc. Just do your best to pick the passage apart and write about bits you find interesting, essentially. If you're lucky enough to recognise the passage, don't say what it is but skirt around it - for example, if presented with Sonnet 18, one might talk about how it is reminiscent of Shakespeare, obviously a sonnet because of the structure, etc. I highly doubt that you will be given something that recognisable, though!

Best advice I can give, though: breathe, relax, smile and be yourself. Good luck.:smile:

Thanks for the great advice! :smile: The interview was mainly focused on my AS texts and wider reading. I received an offer yesterday, conditional for 3A's.
Is there anyone who studies LLB law and French Law? I want to know how it is as a subject,if it is really hard. Also, I would like to know how many students are studying this course! In other words how many places are offered! Thank you everybody!
Hey, Is there any International student on this forum who has studied the M.Sc. Management course at UCL ?
Or is there anyone who knows any international student, preferably an Indian who has done the course ?

I just wanted to know whether international students get jobs after completing the course ?

I'm planning to join the MSc Management course at UCL this September and was a little sceptical about the job prospects.

Please feel free to drop in any of your experiences.

Thanks
Just want to know what life is like as a Physics student at UCL, whether a lot of your time is taken up by studies, etc..

And also, a week in the life, too, just vaguely. Are your weekends relatively free?

Thanks!
Reply 2367
Hello UCL, or the students should I say..

I was just wondering if I would stand a chance to even enter. I do the following subjects for A levels;

Biology
Chemistry
Psychology

However I DO NOT do a forth subject and I am wondering if not having an AS subject will affect my chances of getting in, or will be the deciding factor as for not having it.

Look forward from hearing from you.
Reply 2368
I am thinking about studying French and German at UCL in 2013.
But I am very worried about my GCSE's

AS Predictions: AAAA (French, German, English Lit and History)

GCSE's: English Lit A*
English Lang A*
French A
History A
German B
Geography B
Maths B
Additional Science B
Core Science B
P.E C
R.E (Short Course) B
ICT (Short Course) Pass

What do you think?
Hello :smile:

So, I've read the first few posts on this thread and one person said she's worried about the university not being a 'campus', can someone clarify what this means?
Original post by Rachael36
Hi guys, I have just been to an open day for psychology and they said that we all have offers woop! :smile: However whilst at the uni I felt slightly secluded due to being the only northerner there (as I know of, or that I spoke to). Not that I have anything against southerners but I feel as though I may not fit in or meet anyone who has much in common with me and they may think im common due to my accent... Am I just over-thinking this or are there not many other northerners who study at UCL. Everyone seemed a little posh ....
I'm just worried that I will be a loner in London :/
P.s sorry of something under these lines has already been discussed I didn't want to read through 106 pages of comments ...

Don't worry, if I end up going to uni you'll have me to talk to - I'm from York! I have an offer for Psychology & Language Sciences :smile:
Original post by Chigster

I was just wondering if I would stand a chance to even enter. I do the following subjects for A levels;

Biology
Chemistry
Psychology

However I DO NOT do a forth subject and I am wondering if not having an AS subject will affect my chances of getting in, or will be the deciding factor as for not having it.

Hey there.

I'm not a student at UCL yet, but I do have an offer. My offer is AAA INCLUDING a further pass of any subject at AS level, as well as a GCSE in modern languages.

You would have to ask around a little more, but certainly for me, an AS is needed :smile:
Reply 2372
Original post by translucent

So, I've read the first few posts on this thread and one person said she's worried about the university not being a 'campus', can someone clarify what this means?

Look on a map at Keele university http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=Keele+University&hl=en&ll=53.001097,-2.271595&spn=0.014024,0.042272&sll=53.800651,-4.064941&sspn=14.118794,43.286133&oq=keele+u&t=h&hq=Keele+University&z=15 , Warwick http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=university+of+warwick&hl=en&ll=52.380917,-1.561496&spn=0.007112,0.021136&sll=53.800651,-4.064941&sspn=14.118794,43.286133&t=h&hq=university+of+warwick&z=16 or Lancaster http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=University+of+Lancaster,+Lancaster&hl=en&ll=54.007794,-2.785592&spn=0.013695,0.042272&sll=52.380917,-1.561496&sspn=0.007112,0.021136&oq=university+of+lanc&t=h&hq=University+of&hnear=Lancaster,+Lancashire,+United+Kingdom&fll=54.00618,-2.785892&fspn=0.013695,0.042272&z=15

They're all isolated from the towns they're named after, on purpose built sites. So they'll have loads of accommodation on site, maybe supermarkets, banks, clubs etc. Almost like a village/small town just for the university.

Look at UCL on a map http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=wc1e+6aa&hl=en&sll=54.007794,-2.785592&sspn=0.013695,0.042272&t=h&hnear=London+WC1E+6AA,+United+Kingdom&z=16 and although it is called its Bloomsbury Campus, it is right in amongst central London. It isn't separate. Most of its halls are quite a few minutes walk away.

It's up to you if you prefer a campus or not. I'd hate to be on a campus like Keele for example. I don't want to be in a university bubble all of the time.
Reply 2373
Original post by 007dunlop
Hey there.

I'm not a student at UCL yet, but I do have an offer. My offer is AAA INCLUDING a further pass of any subject at AS level, as well as a GCSE in modern languages.

You would have to ask around a little more, but certainly for me, an AS is needed :smile:

I can't find that post your quoting, or rather can't be bothered to scroll up for it. But they took General Studies as my AS pass.
Original post by translucent

Just that the university hasn't got things like loads of shops/everything on campus, and rather it's a 'city based' than 'campus based'. For example queen mary is a campus uni as it has loads of shops and stuff to do on campus and the city centre is further away. All central london unis are city based, as there're obviously in the city centre and have all the stuff needed around them, so don't need to put it in campus. It's better not being a campus uni anyway, much more stuff to do and fun. I'm not sure if you fully understood what I said there though.

Original post by Chigster

Biology
Chemistry
Psychology

I believe all courses at UCL need a pass fourth subject - which is basically anything with above an E grade. Can you not just pick one up just for the sake of it as an AS and do i just to have that fourth AS, regardless of your grade. But maybe phone the department you're interested in to make sure.
Original post by rougelipstick
If there are any current Biomedical Sciences students on here can you please tell me a bit about coursework in first year? How often it's set and the formats it takes :smile: thanks

It involves some essays, some multiple choice question quizzes online, post practical reports as well as some mid term exams.
Does anyone here at TSR know anything about the UCL foundation year for internationals? How do current UCL students perceive the program?

I'm an offer holder of 4 unconditionals from several unis (Edinburgh, Manchester, Leeds, and SOAS) but can't muster enough motivation to pursue that degree and want to switch to the sciences. Seems like this foundation year would be the opportunity to do just that, albeit at a steep cost. :frown:
Original post by PJ991
Look on a map at Keele university http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=Keele+University&hl=en&ll=53.001097,-2.271595&spn=0.014024,0.042272&sll=53.800651,-4.064941&sspn=14.118794,43.286133&oq=keele+u&t=h&hq=Keele+University&z=15 , Warwick http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=university+of+warwick&hl=en&ll=52.380917,-1.561496&spn=0.007112,0.021136&sll=53.800651,-4.064941&sspn=14.118794,43.286133&t=h&hq=university+of+warwick&z=16 or Lancaster http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=University+of+Lancaster,+Lancaster&hl=en&ll=54.007794,-2.785592&spn=0.013695,0.042272&sll=52.380917,-1.561496&sspn=0.007112,0.021136&oq=university+of+lanc&t=h&hq=University+of&hnear=Lancaster,+Lancashire,+United+Kingdom&fll=54.00618,-2.785892&fspn=0.013695,0.042272&z=15

They're all isolated from the towns they're named after, on purpose built sites. So they'll have loads of accommodation on site, maybe supermarkets, banks, clubs etc. Almost like a village/small town just for the university.

Look at UCL on a map http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=wc1e+6aa&hl=en&sll=54.007794,-2.785592&sspn=0.013695,0.042272&t=h&hnear=London+WC1E+6AA,+United+Kingdom&z=16 and although it is called its Bloomsbury Campus, it is right in amongst central London. It isn't separate. Most of its halls are quite a few minutes walk away.

It's up to you if you prefer a campus or not. I'd hate to be on a campus like Keele for example. I don't want to be in a university bubble all of the time.

Yep, I can see a significant difference in those maps. I like it's situated in central London, thanks for clearing that up.

Original post by Waterstorm
Just that the university hasn't got things like loads of shops/everything on campus, and rather it's a 'city based' than 'campus based'. For example queen mary is a campus uni as it has loads of shops and stuff to do on campus and the city centre is further away. All central london unis are city based, as there're obviously in the city centre and have all the stuff needed around them, so don't need to put it in campus. It's better not being a campus uni anyway, much more stuff to do and fun. I'm not sure if you fully understood what I said there though.

I understood :wink:
Reply 2378
Does UCL have any awards for good results in the first year?
Reply 2379
Original post by bmqib
Does UCL have any awards for good results in the first year?

I'm pretty sure there's at least the Dean's List/Award plus maybe a faculty one (there's definitely one for second years); it's best if you check here: http://www.ucl.ac.uk/current-students/money/scholarships/scholarships

Still, I think the good results scholarships are pretty scarce, at least that's the general feeling. Maybe that's because yuo usually have to be nominated for them by your dept, as opposed to applying yourself - I am always worried that noone in my department simply can be bothered to do some paperwork, be it for scholarship or anything else.

I am getting more and more bitter, wish I was 18 again... :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest