The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Newcastle
Newcastle University
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Visit website

Newcastle accommodation thread 2012

Scroll to see replies

I've just firmed Newcastle, and have an unconditional so woohoo will be there in September!

My accommodation choices are:
1) St Mary's
2) Windsor Terrace
3) Marris House

I want cost to be the main factor... don't mind the walk. I'd rather have more money to spend on food, and fun things, than on rent :smile:
Students on campus at the University of Newcastle
Newcastle University
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Visit website
Reply 61
Hey guys,

I got a medicine offer and I'm just wondering how many years I'll be accommodate for? It's going to be a 6 year degree and it'd cost a bit too much if I only get 1 year university accommodation and have to rent elsewhere for 5 years... I think I'd generally enjoy it more in halls as well.

Anyone currently at Necastle, care to share some pros and cons of their halls? I'm prioritising on en-suite and cost I guess.
Reply 62
Original post by JD12
Depends on what you want really, nearly everyone I've talked to about Richardson Road said that if they had the chance theyd go there again, from what I've heard its a experience unmatched by other accomodation just because of the party atmosphere :smile:

what exactly are you looking for in accomodation?

I'd go there again now!

Those were the days... Going on proper nights out 3 times a week, bouncing round all the different flats in the block, the banter, meeting my gf in my flat, the shop that's a ripoff, my first battered sausage in the chippy - accidentally ordered, thousands of pounds I didn't have to work for, easy work, no registers...

Take me back Lord :'(
Reply 63
Original post by Abcrew
What is making it hard to decide between the 2? They are 'IMO' completely different with different advantages to each place. It depends what you want from the halls you will be staying in.

They are completely different, that's why I'm finding it so hard. The only thing putting me off St Mary's is the distance, I know that there are buses but I would rather be in the centre. However, the actually rooms look great. The bad thing about Ricky Road is that people say you can rarely get any work done because of noise, but it's in a great location.
Reply 64
Original post by JD12
Depends on what you want really, nearly everyone I've talked to about Richardson Road said that if they had the chance theyd go there again, from what I've heard its a experience unmatched by other accomodation just because of the party atmosphere :smile:

what exactly are you looking for in accomodation?

Probably location the most, and party atmosphere! The only thing putting me off is that I probably won't get any work done haha. Think I'm going to put Ricky Road as my first option because I guess I can always go to the library to do work, and I think I'd regret not going there, as everyones told me it's the best :smile:
Reply 65
Anyone know what kind of accommodation you're likely to get if you don't put it as your firm?
I applied a couple of weeks ago for accommodation but I had a 'special consideration' and it's going to take a while for my GP to confirm it, does this mean that I'm less likely to get my first preference as this is taking so long? :s-smilie:
Reply 67
Original post by lucylu24
They are completely different, that's why I'm finding it so hard. The only thing putting me off St Mary's is the distance, I know that there are buses but I would rather be in the centre. However, the actually rooms look great. The bad thing about Ricky Road is that people say you can rarely get any work done because of noise, but it's in a great location.

It is only a 30 minute walk, otherwise the buses are every 7 minutes. Also, their is the university buses in the morning which take you to lectures for free :biggrin:
Ricky road is literally falling apart, the rooms are really small compared to the rooms in St Marys.

Also, Ricky Road doesn't have a supermarket near by so you have to do most of your shopping at a local 'corner' shop which is a lot more expensive than St Marys which has a morrisons round the corner
Reply 68
Original post by spoinkytheduck
I applied a couple of weeks ago for accommodation but I had a 'special consideration' and it's going to take a while for my GP to confirm it, does this mean that I'm less likely to get my first preference as this is taking so long? :s-smilie:

I'd imagine the fact you're a 'special consideration' you'll go to the top of the pile.
Original post by PVisitors
I'd imagine the fact you're a 'special consideration' you'll go to the top of the pile.

Hopefully :tongue:
Its not even a big 'special consideration', all my preferences have it so I'm not sure if theres any point, just thought I'd put i down just in case! :s-smilie:
Reply 70
I'm in my first year now and no one i know got any of their choices and we all applied as soon as we could :frown: i got put in St Marys and had the worst time ever, its the quietest and most non-student like accommodation! Would def advise you not to choose this!! Eventually moved to Leazes - SO sociable and ignore its reputation, most people are lovely, would reccommend it!
Applied to Castle Leazes, Castle Court and Windsor Terrace.. Havent firmed it yet so i dont think ill be able to get the places i want :frown: self catered and en suite in all and im an international. :smile:
Original post by jsamson
I'm in my first year now and no one i know got any of their choices and we all applied as soon as we could :frown: i got put in St Marys and had the worst time ever, its the quietest and most non-student like accommodation! Would def advise you not to choose this!! Eventually moved to Leazes - SO sociable and ignore its reputation, most people are lovely, would reccommend it!

I want Leazes so badly! Howd u change to it? During the first year or at the start of the 2nd?
Reply 73
Original post by JD12
Anyone else for Richardson Road? :smile:

Meeee :biggrin: I just can't wait!
I hear a lot of people talking **** about Ricky Rd saying 'It looks horrible and you'll never get any sleep' etc, but I know some former students, and they said 'Go to ricky road, it will be one of the best decisions you ever make'.

:smile:
Reply 74
Original post by annieconstable3
Hi...I am also taking a gap year...do you know anything about the application process for us? like do we do it like this year? I am so unsure of what to do!

i think we do it next year. most gap students seem to get their first choice accommodation which is good. What are you hoping to study at Newcastle ?
Plenty of people may like castle leazes and you'll get different opinions, but my sis couldn't stand the place. Before she went the women at the desk did mention they get a lot of the marlbrough college lot there (oops spelt that wrong) but she went thinking they'll be a couple of nice people wherever they were from. Well all the 10 girls were from boarding schools/private schools and all knew each other, so she was just stuck with all these really loud lasses which didnt exactly create the atmosphere of making friends and getting to know each other. Also a lad who went to castle leazes a couple of years ago who is fairly loud and who is the type to get on with middle class people complained that everyone knew each other. So unless your a rah or get stuck in a decent block DONT PICK LEAZES!
Reply 76
My choices:

En suite:
1st choice: Windsor Terrace
2nd choice: Castle Court
3rd choice: Victoria Hall

Washbasin:
1st choice: Marris House
2nd choice: Windsor Terrace
3rd choice: St Marys College
Original post by weirdwakkidolli
I've just firmed Newcastle, and have an unconditional so woohoo will be there in September!

My accommodation choices are:
1) St Mary's

I want cost to be the main factor... don't mind the walk. I'd rather have more money to spend on food, and fun things, than on rent :smile:

I'd advise you to spend money on blankets then, I'm living here this year, Insulation is a complete c***, right now, both my windows are insulated with newspapers and cello tape, I have a fleece blanket over my legs, a fleece pull-over, a sports jacket, another fleece blanket over my shoulders, and I'm thinking of putting the kettle on for the hot water bottle...
(edited 11 years ago)
hey guys.. are there any students currently living in any of the following places who could help me with some info on each? :
castle leazes
castle court
marris house
windsor terrace
Original post by Sarah Frog
I'd advise you to spend money on blankets then, I'm living here this year, Insulation is a complete c***, right now, both my windows are insulated with newspapers and cello tape, I have a fleece blanket over my legs, a fleece pull-over, a sports jacket, another fleece blanket over my shoulders, and I'm thinking of putting the kettle on for the hot water bottle...

Are you in one of the refurbished flats or the older ones? I'm pretty warm-blooded I don't really mind the cold.

Quick Reply

Latest