The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I'm in 5th year nearing my exams, and when I took my subjects i was deeply upset that you had to study 5 highers in fifth year (which i orginally planned to until my school told me you had to take H English for medicine), so with 4 highers and an int2 (got 5 As in my prelims) and planning on doing 3 AHs and 1 H in 6th year(AH maths chemistry physics H english) would i be able to take medicine at all?!?!
Worrying about this now- will be very difficult to meet my Leeds offer.
Original post by abbiejh
I would first just like to thank you for your fast responses.
I’m aware that I have the wrong combinations of subjects at A-level and that I wouldn’t be eligible to apply for a 5 year programme, although I’m also aware that there are access courses and foundation years for people that have taken humanities subjects. I was just wondering what would be the best option for me if there even would be an option.
I am planning on re-sitting my GCSE in maths and English this September after I have completed my current A-levels however I will be 20 years old during that time and If I was then going to take up chemistry at A-level it would mean me being 22 before being eligible to apply. most universities expect all of you’re A-levels to be taken in a two year period so I don’t know if this would just be a waste of time?

Hi! I know all this seems really daunting right now, but I am going to tell you it is possible IF you do it the correct way!
First you need to enrol into a college that does give gcse's, usually biology, chemistry, physics, English and maths!You will be required to sit 5 gcse's in 1 year!! So no resits, start again!!! You will need at least B's in all subjects. As you are 20, you are able to follow onto an access course which will enable you to apply to med!! In access you will need three subjects usually biology, chemistry and physics or maths! They all need to be at distinction level! Along side this you should apply round hospitals and do some volunteering! Also try to get a hca job in a nursing home or local hospital!
As long as u meet the grades you have a chance at becoming a doctor! May I suggest you try pre-med!! It helps more with transition after access course!
Good luck
Good luck!!:redface:
so this is what i got in my GCSEs:
English Literature - A
English Language - B
Maths - C
R.E - B
Science - E (i genuinely thought i was going to pass it since i revised so hard for it then i was shocked i ended up getting a E but no worries im took GCSE Chemistry and Biology and ended up getting A*A* via distant learning)

so after not doing so well in my GCSEs, i opted for distant learning courses as i didn't gain entry to a sixth form. im studying English Literature, Chemistry and Biology A Level and GCSE Chemistry and Biology. i've just completed my GCSE Sciences and i gained A*A* via distant learning and i've completed my AS Levels and i gained AAA in them. i really want to do medicine at university and i didnt apply to university this year because i knew i wasnt going to get any offers due to my grades and lack of work experience. i'm going to volunteer abroad in a hospital in Ghana for a month and travel to Thailand afterwards to teach English to kids. can i still get into medicine with those grades or should i just give up?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 7704
Original post by Sapphire33
English Literature - A
English Language - B
Maths - C
R.E - B
Science - E (i genuinely thought i was going to pass it since i revised so hard for it then i was shocked i ended up getting a E but no worries im took GCSE Chemistry and Biology and ended up getting A*A* via distant learning)

so after not doing so well in my GCSEs, i opted for distant learning courses as i didn't gain entry to a sixth form. im studying English Literature, Chemistry and Biology A Level and GCSE Chemistry and Biology. i've just completed my GCSE Sciences and i gained A*A* via distant learning and i've completed my AS Levels and i gained AAA in them. i really want to do medicine at university and i didnt apply to university this year because i knew i wasnt going to get any offers due to my grades and lack of work experience. i'm going to volunteer abroad in a hospital in Ghana for a month and travel to Thailand afterwards to teach English to kids. can i still get into medicine with those grades or should i just give up?

no dont give up..i still think you can get in...because it's showed your dedication and AAA at AS is so good..you've just proved that you can do it and i think if you do gain a lot of experience via travelling etc the uni will be impresssedd!!! good luck (:
Keep going, you're still not that disadvantaged. Is there anything you can do with your Maths? I mean you had a C and most unis require a min of B. Also you didn't take it at Alevel.

Overall I think that your work experience and voluntary is great, better than mine was. But still when you come to apply, remember research is improtant, make sure you check with all uni you want to apply of what they think, check websites etc.

Good luck:smile:
I think it is pushed against you massively. Maths is a crucial element. Also, only 3 AS levels. However, you still stand a chance, but you will be the underdog in the race.
Original post by Luke Williams
I think it is pushed against you massively. Maths is a crucial element. Also, only 3 AS levels. However, you still stand a chance, but you will be the underdog in the race.

if i were to take fast track A Level maths and GCSE maths?

Makes it irrelevant. Fast-tracking is just to get a subject out of the way that your good at, so you can focus on those that you are not. If you don't get an A in GCSE or A-Level Maths then there is little point in applying.
Reply 7709
You should at least try, check out admissions policies and apply to your strengths. Only piece of strong advise is resit Maths GCSE and try to get at least a B and if possible an A.
Original post by myyrh
Firstly, avoid GEM if possible. It's insanely competitive and you do still have a shot. There are a few medical schools which only require Chemistry at A level, however most of these want another science (in some cases a lab science e.g. Physics)
The following universities may consider you in your current situation.This is taken from the TSR wiki on A level requirements but make sure you double check with the universities because their entry requirements could change.
Dundee(want another science)
Bristol(want another lab based science)
Glasgow(accept maths as the other science)
Aberdeen(accept maths as the other science)
Leeds
Sheffield(Chemistry and one other science)
St Andrews

Ideally if you had at least Biology to AS you would have a lot more universities to choose from. I wouldn't recommend transferring because you may end up taking three years to complete your A levels which will definitely go against you. Could you not asked to be entered for Biology AS but study it in your own time ? All the school would have to do would be to let you sit the practicals during some lessons. Or have you looked at some colleges which offer Biology AS as an evening class? If it's not possible, check those universities. If they tell you you're fine to apply then go for it! Write a good personal statement and prepare hard for your UKCAT as some universities (Glasgow) use it as the deciding factor on who to select for interview. :smile:

Thank you for this! :biggrin: This is reassuring to know. :smile:

Thanks again. :smile:
Reply 7711
English Literature - A
English Language - B
Maths - C
R.E - B

Honestly it's unlikely :frown: In most cases good A level grades can't compensate for the GCSE requirements. You either meet the minimum entry requirements at a particular medical school or you don't. It's just one of the ways of sorting applicants before they get to your personal statement and reference. Did you only take 6 GCSEs? As many have said before you really need to resit the GCSE Maths and try and bring it up to at least a B. Also you will be further disadvantaged because you haven't done an AS in a fourth subject which is required for lots of medical schools. Have a look at these two pages on the TSR wiki
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medical_School_A_Level_Requirements
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medical_School_GCSE_Requirements
Check through the medical schools and if you meet the requirements of any of those schools in both of those criteria, email the admissions with your situation to double check that you still would be okay to apply. Just be weary that some medical schools may ask for minimum GCSE grades but in reality would only consider those with considerably higher grades. :smile:
If you could get As in AS, then with some hard work you can definitely get an A in GCSE maths, I suggest you retake it. Also, try to get an AS in something else too, it's gonna be a bit harder alongside A2s, but I really advice that you do. You're going to be limited to what unis you can apply to, simply because you've only got 6 GCSEs, so spend your summer doing a lot of research and email different unis. Maybe you could consider a course in Biomed first or something?

Have you contacted any medical schools to ask their advice? They're the only people who can give you reliable information regarding your chances.

You don't need A level maths but you do need at least a B at GCSE.

I think you may have shot yourself in the foot by retaking subjects and you might not have enough GCSEs for many medical schools. I would contact some medical schools to see if what you're doing academically is suitable before spending money on expensive work experience abroad.
Reply 7714
I definitely think that A grade 'B' is almost compulsory for medicine so I assume that would need to be redone :/
You don't really need to take AS or A level maths although it is still useful, you already studied biology and chemistry for medicine which is enough, so long you retake your gcse maths to try to get a minimum of B, an A even better to show you have good maths skills for medicine. The bottom line is that you do not need A level maths for medicine.
Original post by Luke Williams

^ He's right.

But don't let it hold you back too much, ultimately, if it's all you want to do, and you cant imagine yourself doing anything else in the world, then you've got to try. The C is a bit daunting, and without extenuating circumstances to explain your resits it might be a bit difficult.

It's also worth reconsidering your options when you have done the UKCAT - this can make or break your application, (after you've met the minimum requirements anyway) and see if it could help your application? I'm not sure how many universities you don't meet the minimum requirement for, but if it's a lot, despite it being even more competitive, it might end up being your better shot: Grad Entry, all the while picking up work experience, and volunteering posts (i'm sure University will give you plenty of opportunities to enhance your app) and go for it that way. Just a thought.

Good luck with however you wish to pursue medicine, as a fellow prospective, we must all stick together :biggrin:
i've the same worry
You've come this far and you've proved yourself to be hard working and intelligent- Don't give up! You're extra-curricular activities sound great if you do them. Make sure you check out the requirements for medicine at uni. Redo maths, as it is imperative you get at least a B if not an A at GCSE. Also I'd recommend you take a fourth AS in Maths (work very HARD!) and if not that then at least in something like psychology that is related to your future career. Good luck and I hope you get into medicine. They key to success is hard work and don't let anyone tell you otherwise!
Reply 7719
hello there
i ma a future applicant for medicine.
my GCSE weren't that great
i got 2A* 5A 3B AND 2C
I got an A* FOR MATHS / FRENCH
I got an A for ENGLISH LITT/ RS / CHEMISTRY /PHYSICS /
I got a B for ALAN / STATISTICS / BIOLOGY
I got a C in ENGLISH LANG AND GRAPHICS

the C in eng lang is giving me a big issue
i have looked at several unis that don't really look at gcse such as durham BM6 soton, EMDP kings college and so on .....

but i just need some advice from you guys
for AS i am aiming for all As
i just got my AS JAN modules results back and i got AAAB so i am confident that i am going to do well in jun aswell
but i just need some more advice when it comes for me to apply for medicine courses this coming year ..
thank you for everyone who take their time to advice me of anything
thanks again !

Latest

Trending

Trending