The Student Room Group

not doing anything for my "big" 18th. is this normal?

I'm going to be 18 in November and i honestly can't believe it. Time has gone by so quick i didn't even realise im about to reach the big "18th" as people call it but sadly i won't be doing anything for my birthday. it was the same with my 17th, 16th, etc. the last time i did something for my birthday was my 12th and i had it in mcdonalds LOL. I dont really have any friends i could invite so i could possibly throw a birthday bash and i don't want to do anything with my family. i was thinking of going clubbing or going to a bar on my own? i quite like the sound of nursing a drink on my own. i dont actuallly mind not doing anything for my 18th but it i can't help but feel that i should do something quite big to mark my being a legal adult. is it normal not to do anything for your 18th birthday party?

Scroll to see replies

I had a meal with friends and family, but that's it. I also had a meal for my 17th, 16th and 15th.
Different people spend their birthdays in different ways. Some people treat them as if they are symbolic days which should be cherished and enjoyed, whereas others don't celebrate them and say they are like any other day in the year.

Just because you're 18 doesn't make it any different: celebrate your birthday the way you want! The day is designed for you (if you want to view it like that) :biggrin:
I don't think it really matters :smile:. I haven't done anything for my last 5 birthdays and my brother didn't do anything for his 18th either. It's pretty normal I think, not everyone wants a bit fuss on their birthdays.
I didn't do a huge amount for my 18th. Think I just went for a few drinks then went to a club, just a normal night out really. Perhaps slightly more wasted than usual. :dontknow:
Reply 5
I didn't do anything for my 16th, 17th, 18th or 19th and may not do anything for my 20th, even though for the first time in about 5 years it doesn't fall in the middle of my exams.
Reply 6
define normal and i will answer the question...
I just went to a club with a few friends really. Something nice and small. I didn't throw a party because I was worried something would happen, and after going to the parties of other friends I KNEW that it was the right choice not to have one for myself because of some of my friends.
Totally doesn't matter. For my 18th I just went out for a meal with my best friends. It's not something that bothers me.
Yeah its not everyones cup of tea to do something for your 18th some people just see it as another year gone by. I spent my 16 in hospital after i cut a gash down my side of my stomach which required stitches because it was such a deep cut. Happened because of a stupid crazy sharp door handle which i ran by. I plan on my 18th this year not being so painful :frown:
Reply 10
It's completely normal. People only think it's 'weird' because society makes a big deal out of celebrating birthdays and says that we should. Really, you can do whatever you wish. Some people enjoy having so much attention and a big party or celebration, but others really don't like that sort of thing.
Reply 11
Original post by johnharris19944
Yeah its not everyones cup of tea to do something for your 18th some people just see it as another year gone by. I spent my 16 in hospital after i cut a gash down my side of my stomach which required stitches because it was such a deep cut. Happened because of a stupid crazy sharp door handle which i ran by. I plan on my 18th this year not being so painful :frown:

Doorhandle of Satan himself?
Reply 12
Original post by johnharris19944

ouchh sounds painful :frown: hopefully it won't be as painful :smile:
Original post by tehforum
Doorhandle of Satan himself?

it was like one of the squarish ones, almost as if someone had sharpened it just before i ran by/into it. My parents removed it and replaced it with a curved shape one after the accident. Little too late for me though and now i have some dumb scar which if people ask me how i got it i have to say doorhandle...
Original post by Sapphire33
ouchh sounds painful :frown: hopefully it won't be as painful :smile:

Yeaaah i plan on just having a meal with my family on my 18th. Unless i win the lottery then yeah gonna go all out :P
Reply 15
It's your birthday. You can do what you want. Personally, I'm planning to have high tea on my birthday...
My birthday invariably clashes with exams. I spent my 18th revising (it was <a week before my first exam), my 19th working (scumbags wouldn't let me have it off) and my 20th revising. My 21st and 22nd will also be spent revising - even if I wanted to go out so close to exams, I doubt I could persuade many people to sacrifice their own exam results for one night out - and rightly so!
It was my 18th today. I didn't do anything special at all. And my experience with alcohol is not good, it was either disgusting or didn't taste of anything.
Reply 18
Original post by chaosdestro0
It was my 18th today. I didn't do anything special at all. And my experience with alcohol is not good, it was either disgusting or didn't taste of anything.

Happy Birthday :smile:
Reply 19
nah it's fine
just do whatever feels comfortable

Quick Reply

Latest