The Student Room Group
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton

Which accommodation? (Sussex Uni)

I've just firmed Sussex Uni and I've looked into it quite a lot - I like the look of both east slope and park village, and I'll explain quickly what I like about both of them, and why I can't decide.

East slope looks ****ing rad, it's party central and everyone there will be cool and up for fun. Also, if I go to east slope, I know I'm not gunna get out in a room with some horrific snob; also no one will moan at me if I'm loud or having people round or whatever other stupid ideas I come up with. Down side is that it's disgusting, the facilities are horrendous and when I went on my open day, we weren't shown around east slope because there was a scenes of crime officer investigating someone's stuff that got stolen from their room haha. Also my mum doesn't really want me going east slope (not that it really matters).

Park village is apparently meant to be like east slope but I'm not sure about that, it's just a bit nicer and the facilities are a bit better, and they weren't too ashamed of it to show us around haha!

Basically all I'm asking is peoples advice and if there's someone on here who currently goes to Sussex Uni, what's your opinion on both of them?

SOZ4ESSAY

Scroll to see replies

I lived in Park Village last year, and it wasn't great. However, that was partly down to my (read: one of) my housemates. It's probably better than East Slope though. It's also probably a bit less social than East Slope because of the tiny kitchen and nowhere to sit down outside of your room (although again, some houses are better than others for that).

I'd say Brighthelm is your best bet as you get a big kitchen, bigger room and 2 toilets between 5 of you (although you do pay more, my 2nd choice after that would have been PV).
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton
Original post by Joshbrown
I've just firmed Sussex Uni and I've looked into it quite a lot - I like the look of both east slope and park village, and I'll explain quickly what I like about both of them, and why I can't decide.

East slope looks ****ing rad, it's party central and everyone there will be cool and up for fun. Also, if I go to east slope, I know I'm not gunna get out in a room with some horrific snob; also no one will moan at me if I'm loud or having people round or whatever other stupid ideas I come up with. Down side is that it's disgusting, the facilities are horrendous and when I went on my open day, we weren't shown around east slope because there was a scenes of crime officer investigating someone's stuff that got stolen from their room haha. Also my mum doesn't really want me going east slope (not that it really matters).

Park village is apparently meant to be like east slope but I'm not sure about that, it's just a bit nicer and the facilities are a bit better, and they weren't too ashamed of it to show us around haha!

Basically all I'm asking is peoples advice and if there's someone on here who currently goes to Sussex Uni, what's your opinion on both of them?

SOZ4ESSAY

I lived in Park Village when I did the whole fresher thing and chose it after looking at all the accomodation on offer. I wanted something cheap (I'm not fussy and would prefer extra money to do other things with), but didn't want to compromise to an extent I'd be unhappy (it will be your home for 9 months, after all).

Although it depends on who you're housed with, Park Village and East Slope are VERY different. East Slope is basically party-central. It has a reputation for drugs, destructive housemates and party crashing... in other words, people go there who don't live there at night and trash houses etc. The place itself is very basic and old with cockroach investations common and paper thin walls. A few friends lived in different East Slope houses and one loved it (she was up for all that) and one hated it and moved out. It really depends on what you want.

Park Village on the other hand tends to be quieter. This simply because the communal area is separate from the houses (PV houses don't have a communal space unlike East Slope) unless you count the landing space. You will have PV houses that party, but their layout discourages it (having a decent sized party there would require making use of bedrooms as the kitchen and landing space can't hold many, and the rooms are split across 3 floors) and so it tends to be more of a happy medium.
Reply 3
Original post by brightonlad89
I lived in Park Village when I did the whole fresher thing and chose it after looking at all the accomodation on offer. I wanted something cheap (I'm not fussy and would prefer extra money to do other things with), but didn't want to compromise to an extent I'd be unhappy (it will be your home for 9 months, after all).

Although it depends on who you're housed with, Park Village and East Slope are VERY different. East Slope is basically party-central. It has a reputation for drugs, destructive housemates and party crashing... in other words, people go there who don't live there at night and trash houses etc. The place itself is very basic and old with cockroach investations common and paper thin walls. A few friends lived in different East Slope houses and one loved it (she was up for all that) and one hated it and moved out. It really depends on what you want.

Park Village on the other hand tends to be quieter. This simply because the communal area is separate from the houses (PV houses don't have a communal space unlike East Slope) unless you count the landing space. You will have PV houses that party, but their layout discourages it (having a decent sized party there would require making use of bedrooms as the kitchen and landing space can't hold many, and the rooms are split across 3 floors) and so it tends to be more of a happy medium.

Ahhhh I see. Where do you think I should apply for then, if not East slope (will probs be one of my lower choices) and if park village is a bit **** for the social side? Totally not bothered about facilities or en suites or whatever else there is, just not as much of a **** hole as east slope
Ahhhh I see. Where do you think I should apply for then, if not East slope (will probs be one of my lower choices) and if park village is a bit **** for the social side? Totally not bothered about facilities or en suites or whatever else there is, just not as much of a **** hole as east slope

Oh, don't get me wrong, PV is far from unsociable-- you just are less likely to get crazy large parties there (which in my case, is a good thing) due to its layout in comparison to those at East Slope. I considered that to be a good thing. As a guy you'll also be on the ground floor, so it is the place where people tend to congregate so you'll definitely be among others. I personally wouldn't be able to stand East Slope just because the conditions are so low and security seem to constantly be there sorting some problem or other out.

A step up are the Park Houses which are also a bit of a step up in price. They're around the same sort of age of property but each house has a TV/communal space.

But, go to this link http://www.sussex.ac.uk/residentialservices/residences where there's a downloadable version of the housing booklet, a virtual tour program and an FAQ. Also, residence open day is sometime in June so you can always go then and check them all out properly.

The only accom I'd steer clear from for social reasons is Stanmer Court which is, literally, on the other side of campus from the other residences. It's close to the train station (good if you have Brighton Uni friends), but because all the other residences are in the same part of campus, Stanmer does get left out.
Reply 5
Oh, don't get me wrong, PV is far from unsociable-- you just are less likely to get crazy large parties there (which in my case, is a good thing) due to its layout in comparison to those at East Slope. I considered that to be a good thing. As a guy you'll also be on the ground floor, so it is the place where people tend to congregate so you'll definitely be among others. I personally wouldn't be able to stand East Slope just because the conditions are so low and security seem to constantly be there sorting some problem or other out.

A step up are the Park Houses which are also a bit of a step up in price. They're around the same sort of age of property but each house has a TV/communal space.

But, go to this link http://www.sussex.ac.uk/residentialservices/residences where there's a downloadable version of the housing booklet, a virtual tour program and an FAQ. Also, residence open day is sometime in June so you can always go then and check them all out properly.

The only accom I'd steer clear from for social reasons is Stanmer Court which is, literally, on the other side of campus from the other residences. It's close to the train station (good if you have Brighton Uni friends), but because all the other residences are in the same part of campus, Stanmer does get left out.

sweet! cheers so much dude, i like the sound of park village and park houses (aren't PH all spread through different places throughout the campus though?)
Brighthelm also looks pretty good, but not sure about the social side of that either because it looks a bit boring.

I think I might put PV, PH, Brighthelm, Lewes Court (cheaper one), East Slope, then whatever else is left. Do you reckon I should swap the order of any of them? I know probably means absolutely nothing but there's no harm in asking anyway :wink: whatever is the most social out of lewes court, brighthelm and ph is what i'll order it in really, east slope going nicely into 5th.

Sorry for all the hastle it's really appreciated!
sweet! cheers so much dude, i like the sound of park village and park houses (aren't PH all spread through different places throughout the campus though?)
Brighthelm also looks pretty good, but not sure about the social side of that either because it looks a bit boring.

I think I might put PV, PH, Brighthelm, Lewes Court (cheaper one), East Slope, then whatever else is left. Do you reckon I should swap the order of any of them? I know probably means absolutely nothing but there's no harm in asking anyway :wink: whatever is the most social out of lewes court, brighthelm and ph is what i'll order it in really, east slope going nicely into 5th.

Sorry for all the hastle it's really appreciated!

The Park Houses describe different accommodations (Kent House, York House etc.) And, despite what the name suggests, they're not connected in any way and each one is as big as any other accommodation. View each one in its own right if you go to the open day.

Your choices seem good in terms of sociability, lewes court and brighthelm were popular with some friends of min and tended to be more sociable than places like swanborough or stanmer. Not sure about northfield as that was after my time. The ones you've mentioned are all quite similar and in that way it depends who you're housed with. I do recommend viewing all the places in June as you'll get a better idea seeing them all in person.
Reply 7

SOZ4ESSAY

Loool, im in the exact same position as you, for me it's either east slop or park houses but with park houses problem is they have like security when you walk in so doubt any parties are going to happen there :/ what subject you applying to do?
Reply 8
Original post by xnatsix
Loool, im in the exact same position as you, for me it's either east slop or park houses but with park houses problem is they have like security when you walk in so doubt any parties are going to happen there :/ what subject you applying to do?

whaaaaat u serious they have security? that's flupping shiiiiiiiit (lol at how you can't swear on this forum) i'm applying for masters in astrophysics, 4 year course but i'm not a typical geeky physics student haha, we're not all like that. What about you?

park village seems decent enough, and park houses look alright too but to be fair as long as you go east slope bar and you're not some socially awkward mong then i'm sure you'll just find parties wherever haha.. and if not there's town :wink:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by xnatsix

The security 'base' is in York House (not all the Park Houses) and is separate from the accommodation part (which is a door on the opposite side of the building). York House also has a co-op. Security patrol ALL of campus 24/7 and so York House isn't under any more scrutiny than anywhere else.
Reply 10
whaaaaat u serious they have security? that's flupping shiiiiiiiit (lol at how you can't swear on this forum) i'm applying for masters in astrophysics, 4 year course but i'm not a typical geeky physics student haha, we're not all like that. What about you?

park village seems decent enough, and park houses look alright too but to be fair as long as you go east slope bar and you're not some socially awkward mong then i'm sure you'll just find parties wherever haha.. and if not there's town :wink:

Sure your not :wink: Psychology
Hahaha I went on a night out in brighton after the open day... AMAZING :smile:
You could always sneak into an East Slope party :wink:
East Slope is basically party-central. It has a reputation for drugs, destructive housemates and party crashing... in other words, people go there who don't live there at night and trash houses etc. The place itself is very basic and old with cockroach investations common and paper thin walls. A few friends lived in different East Slope houses and one loved it (she was up for all that) and one hated it and moved out. It really depends on what you want.

Aah, you've got me worried now, I put East Slope first. It really can't be that bad, right? :tongue:
Original post by MakesMeWonder
Aah, you've got me worried now, I put East Slope first. It really can't be that bad, right? :tongue:

Not every East Slope house will be absolutely crazy, but walking past it almost every night for a year there was usually some parties going on most nights and the houses are all joined together so the noise must affect multiple neighbours. It has that reputation and so people who sign up to live there almost expect it. It has the reputation as the Sussex ghetto for a reason. Even if you aren't in a house with people who have house parties every night or deal drugs (a HM smoked weed and there were known dealers in ES in the year I was a fresher), you will be in close vicinity of houses who do.

Some East Slope houses are older than others and infestations of cockroaches, mice or other pests are common complaints in some of the houses as Sussex University is surrounded by wildlife and East Slope seems to fall victim as the oldest accomm on site. I lived in Park Village my house had a ladybird infestation of all things...

A couple of friends lived in East Slope, one loved it, lived in a party house and had the best year of her life. One hated it and moved to Swanborough after a few months. It really depends on what you want. Personally, it wouldn't have been my thing, but for some people it is.
Original post by MakesMeWonder

I don't think it's as bad as everyone makes out, provided you're careful about locking your room and are willing to study in the library more than the rest of us might need to.

I almost think I'd have prefered ES to Park Village as the rooms are bigger, houses designed in a more social way and cheaper. The only reason I didn't put it first was because I thought I needed a sink in my room (and now I'm living in a shared house 2 floors up from the only bathroom, turns out I don't).

My PV house had a massive ant infestation by the way, and a squirrel that came into the kitchen; we had to keep our window open because it was so weirdly hot in there all the time :s-smilie:
(edited 11 years ago)
Thanks!

Not every East Slope house will be absolutely crazy, but walking past it almost every night for a year there was usually some parties going on most nights and the houses are all joined together so the noise must affect multiple neighbours. It has that reputation and so people who sign up to live there almost expect it. It has the reputation as the Sussex ghetto for a reason. Even if you aren't in a house with people who have house parties every night or deal drugs (a HM smoked weed and there were known dealers in ES in the year I was a fresher), you will be in close vicinity of houses who do.

Yeah, people doing drugs isn't really an issue for me, I guess it was mainly the bit about security and trashing stuff. There's always ways round it I guess :smile:

Original post by Persephone9
I don't think it's as bad as everyone makes out, provided you're careful about locking your room and are willing to study in the library more than the rest of us might need to.

I generally study in the library anyway. I forgot it would be so close, the noise seems way less of a problem now xD and I guess there aren't many places where you can just leave your room unlocked for extended periods of time anyway, right?
Does anyone know if Lewes Court Phase 2 is worth it? You get an en-suite etc. which is great and it's more central than say Stanmer Court, but costs a whopping 130 pounds a week. Is it worth having an en-suite, is it just as good in Brighthelm? Or is it better to pay less and be in Stanmer Court despite being more isolated from the campus? I mean, surely you don't want to be surrounded by people constantly or it is more, you generally meet a lot less people if you go to one of the isolated accommodation options?
Reply 17
Original post by xnatsix
Sure your not :wink: Psychology
Hahaha I went on a night out in brighton after the open day... AMAZING :smile:

Psychology.. I couldn't think of anything worse :|

Yeah i've been to brighton too, it's pretty decent! Are you going to any of the accommodation tour things? i've already been to an open day but this time i'll try and actually pay attention instead of just looking around aimlessly haha
Reply 18
Psychology.. I couldn't think of anything worse :|

Yeah i've been to brighton too, it's pretty decent! Are you going to any of the accommodation tour things? i've already been to an open day but this time i'll try and actually pay attention instead of just looking around aimlessly haha

Are there any more? And if so is it for all of the accomodation?
Cause if so i'll defo go - awkward when it'll be my 3rd open day lol
Reply 19
Original post by xnatsix
Are there any more? And if so is it for all of the accomodation?
Cause if so i'll defo go - awkward when it'll be my 3rd open day lol

Yeah man I'm going to one tomorrow (Wednesday) The next one is on the 16th and that's the last one so get on ittt

http://www.sussex.ac.uk/Units/schoolsliaison/bookingform.php?type=campus

And dw this will be my third too haha, at least I'll know what to look for.

EDIT: scrap that they've just updated it and now there's loads
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply