The Student Room Group

Where to store your art supplies at uni?

i've been wondering about this as at home, i have a whole cupboard full of them, but the halls i'm moving into have really small rooms and i just won't have the space. so does anyone have any storage tips? kinda early but heyyy, thinking ahead :wink:
Reply 1
Original post by beccafairy
i've been wondering about this as at home, i have a whole cupboard full of them, but the halls i'm moving into have really small rooms and i just won't have the space. so does anyone have any storage tips? kinda early but heyyy, thinking ahead :wink:

i am thinking the same too, however i have another bigger problem. i have a lot of stationery and it would be too heavy to bring all over (the flight won't accept me haha) , nobody wants them even if i want to sell, giveaway and nobody wants to come to my house to collect it, will be pain in the arse if i decide to keep them as they would be untouched for 4 years (by the time i am back they might have rot and my family gonna move house after i start uni) Major Headache!
Reply 2
Original post by jonobebe
i am thinking the same too, however i have another bigger problem. i have a lot of stationery and it would be too heavy to bring all over (the flight won't accept me haha) , nobody wants them even if i want to sell, giveaway and nobody wants to come to my house to collect it, will be pain in the arse if i decide to keep them as they would be untouched for 4 years (by the time i am back they might have rot and my family gonna move house after i start uni) Major Headache!

oh man, i never even thought of that! i'm so grateful to be able to get there in a car/train. can you not pay to have extra luggage?
Reply 3
oh man, i never even thought of that! i'm so grateful to be able to get there in a car/train. can you not pay to have extra luggage?

definitely need to pay for extra luggage but i would still have lots of stuffs left. currently i have 4 boxes of fabrics, 1 box of tools, 1 mannequin, 1 box of drafting paper, 7 boxes of books, 2 sewing machines. and i haven't include my finished works and portfolio. on top of that, i still have to pack my clothes, necessities, 2 laptops, cosmetics etc. oh lord!
Reply 4
definitely need to pay for extra luggage but i would still have lots of stuffs left. currently i have 4 boxes of fabrics, 1 box of tools, 1 mannequin, 1 box of drafting paper, 7 boxes of books, 2 sewing machines. and i haven't include my finished works and portfolio. on top of that, i still have to pack my clothes, necessities, 2 laptops, cosmetics etc. oh lord!

ahh, good luck with that! maybe you could cut down on the fabrics as they're easy/cheap to rebuy? either way, i certainly don't envy you! :eek:
Reply 5
ahh, good luck with that! maybe you could cut down on the fabrics as they're easy/cheap to rebuy? either way, i certainly don't envy you! :eek:

definitely not bringing all those i listed, gonna cut down to 30% of that load. i envy u cos if i only need to travel by car or train, i am sure i can bring at least 70% to uni.

maybe u could get a bigger room? (if u can afford it..)
Reply 6
definitely not bringing all those i listed, gonna cut down to 30% of that load. i envy u cos if i only need to travel by car or train, i am sure i can bring at least 70% to uni.

maybe u could get a bigger room? (if u can afford it..)

ohh i see :smile: it's too late to change my accommodation (i don't think you can once you've been offered a room?), but there aren't too many options for me anyway as i'm studying my foundation in camberwell, and you can't apply for all the nearby halls for because some of the contracts start after the course does. i'll manage though!
Reply 7
ohh i see :smile: it's too late to change my accommodation (i don't think you can once you've been offered a room?), but there aren't too many options for me anyway as i'm studying my foundation in camberwell, and you can't apply for all the nearby halls for because some of the contracts start after the course does. i'll manage though!

oh i see.. london, the halls are generally smaller i guess?
Reply 8
oh i see.. london, the halls are generally smaller i guess?

yeah they can be, generally all halls are small though! the beds lift up so you can store stuff under them, so i might do that, but i don't really want to have to lift my mattress up every time i want to do some art at home haha.
Reply 9
yeah they can be, generally all halls are small though! the beds lift up so you can store stuff under them, so i might do that, but i don't really want to have to lift my mattress up every time i want to do some art at home haha.

Then one fine night u might find something hiding underneath haha... The crayons eating monster!!!
Reply 10
I have no idea how I'm gonna do this.

My sketchbooks alone take up so much space, because I like working A3 and I invariably have two or three going at once. And I have a stationery buying fetish... and because the first year of my degree is kinda a bit of everything/foundation-y I'll have to bring all my paints too D: I'm thinking boxes on the floor are the way forward :biggrin:
Reply 11
Original post by twinlensreflex
I have no idea how I'm gonna do this.

My sketchbooks alone take up so much space, because I like working A3 and I invariably have two or three going at once. And I have a stationery buying fetish... and because the first year of my degree is kinda a bit of everything/foundation-y I'll have to bring all my paints too D: I'm thinking boxes on the floor are the way forward :biggrin:

i'm actually going to be doing my foundation, so i'll have to take as much as i can! i have a handful of sketchbooks too but they could go on a bookshelf, and i have boxes and boxes of art materials, i think i'm just going to try and shove them all under my bed and see how that goes. good luck with finding the space yourself!
Reply 12
If you are living in halls near uni my uni has lockers, you could store some supplies in a locker at Uni perhaps?
Reply 13
You'll be able to store a lot of your stuff at uni. Usually you'll get a locker and somewhere to shove your portfolio/sketchbooks.
Also, when you get a studio space you can generally do what you please with it. While I was on foundation there was very little thievery of other people's stuff and you do end up sharing stuff like white spirit/paper. I used to leave all my paints/brushes/sketchbooks in my space no problemo.
Reply 14
Original post by Jiyeon
If you are living in halls near uni my uni has lockers, you could store some supplies in a locker at Uni perhaps?

Original post by ehc
You'll be able to store a lot of your stuff at uni. Usually you'll get a locker and somewhere to shove your portfolio/sketchbooks.
Also, when you get a studio space you can generally do what you please with it. While I was on foundation there was very little thievery of other people's stuff and you do end up sharing stuff like white spirit/paper. I used to leave all my paints/brushes/sketchbooks in my space no problemo.

i'm going to UAL and because of the large numbers we get no lockets/personal studio space, which is a shame because i really like the idea of having your own little place to work! that's a really good point for people who will get lockers/their own space though. :smile:
Reply 15
i'm going to UAL and because of the large numbers we get no lockets/personal studio space, which is a shame because i really like the idea of having your own little place to work! that's a really good point for people who will get lockers/their own space though. :smile:

Ah which one are you going to?
I went to byam shaw last year (technically part of CSM, and doesn't even exist any more ~sob~) and I knew a few people who did foundation at camberwell.
For the first few months we didn't have any space of our own but had studios allocated for our groups most of the time.

Edit: Oh yeah, I just read up the page and saw you're going to be at camberwell... Silly me
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 16
Original post by ehc
Ah which one are you going to?
I went to byam shaw last year (technically part of CSM, and doesn't even exist any more ~sob~) and I knew a few people who did foundation at camberwell.
For the first few months we didn't have any space of our own but had studios allocated for our groups most of the time.

Edit: Oh yeah, I just read up the page and saw you're going to be at camberwell... Silly me

haha it's all good! i'm going to be at the foundation there which has now merged with chelsea and wimbledon, and there's going to be 750 of us split into three groups that go in on different days, so it'll be huge! still good to know for people who'll be getting their own space though (which i'm quite envious of haha).

Quick Reply

Latest