The Student Room Group

Chinese people, welcome! [中國人, 歡迎你!] [中国人, 欢迎你!]

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Kolya
There are many more Chinese people at Warwick than elsewhere in the UK, but there's still a small minority. I don't know exactly how many there are, but I don't think it is more than 10 or 15%. And there are another 10 or 15% from India. But the majority of students are white British.

I don't think it will be that difficult for you to integrate into British society. You're right that it's easy for Chinese to mainly have Chinese friends, and eat familiar food, and speak Mandarin in their spare time, but you don't have to be like that if you don't want to.

One thing to bear in mind is that British people are slow to make friends. Once your friendship develops over time then you will find them warm and open and lovely, but initially they may be more reserved than you are used to. If you try to rush things then they may feel a little uncomfortable.

Also, if you only remember one thing, it's that for Brits the pub plays a similar role to long meals (at home or at a restaurant) in China. It's where people get together and sociallize. You'll also find that British are much friendlier after an alcoholic drink or two. For better or worse, drinking plays a big part in British culture and socializing.

I met a girl here (in China) who studied in the UK. A couple of their female friends married British guys and live in the UK now!

Unfortunately the attitude of other Chinese students means it might take you a little time, but in the long run there's no reason why cannot get used to British culture - and make good British friends - and even end up missing the country a little when you go back to Beijing during the holidays!

I hope this makes some sense. Moving to a different culture is exciting and nervous and disconcerting, but is often great fun as well.

Don't think 15% is a small minority tho.:s-smilie:
Btw, How often do you get drunk in pubs? Just out of curiosity.
Reply 6981
Original post by ms.brightside
Don't think 15% is a small minority tho.:s-smilie:
Btw, How often do you get drunk in pubs? Just out of curiosity.

Never have been to pubs in China....but when I traveled in Italy and studied in the AUS...often went to pubs,but never get drunk :wink:
Original post by Gxy
Never have been to pubs in China....but when I traveled in Italy and studied in the AUS...often went to pubs,but never get drunk :wink:

Is it okay if you just drink juice? People may think your so boring.
Reply 6983
Original post by sensingdevice

It is okay and I think people won't think your so boring, you know sometime most chinese people are not used to drink cocktails
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by sensingdevice

You can have beer instead. Much better than juice IMO.
Reply 6985
Hello ! I'm Chinese too but I was borned in Malaysia, that makes me a Malaysian Chinese. I'm currently studying London. :smile:
Hi all :smile:
Original post by Josephdude
Hi all :smile:

Hi! Welcome to the Chinese Society! :biggrin:
Original post by ms.brightside
There are around 1000 Chinese out of 18000 students in Warwick.

WOOOW.....that's incredible.
Original post by kirstychan93
haha, i guess i will never find a Chinese person studying politics in uk. Politics is such a taboo subject for Chinese.

do you use chinese qq chatting tool
Original post by Nicholasng925
I think my ancestor migrated from PuNing in Guang Zhou province, and I'm Teochew people yet don't know how to speak Chaozhou dialect as my dad never spoke to me. I can speak Cantonese, Hokkien and Mandarin though. :smile:

do you use chinese qq chatting tool?
Hello people! I'm born in Malaysia and that makes me a Malaysian Chinese too! Going to London this coming September! Anyone studying in Cass Business School? :biggrin:
Would any girls here snog/kiss/french kiss a very handsome stranger in a night club and why and why not?
Reply 6993
Hello people! I'm born in Malaysia and that makes me a Malaysian Chinese too! Going to London this coming September! Anyone studying in Cass Business School? :biggrin:

sounds like my line ! Welcome to London soon !
No, I'm not studying in Cass Business School.
Hi people love your culture, language even though I only know one word, would love learn more of the language, feng shui, and Chinese meridians
Reply 6995
Original post by fusiontherapy
Hi people love your culture, language even though I only know one word, would love learn more of the language, feng shui, and Chinese meridians

is feng shui the one word? :tongue:
Original post by purpliie
sounds like my line ! Welcome to London soon !
No, I'm not studying in Cass Business School.

haha thanks! Where are you studying then?

Not going to cass but going to LSE :smile: what course?
Original post by 21Grapes
Not going to cass but going to LSE :smile: what course?

Actuarial Science! You? :tongue:
Actuarial Science! You? :tongue:

Econ & Econ History. I thought about actuary and cass but i dont think im interested in maths enough for that :tongue:
Was reading through the past few pages about Chinese people mixing with Brits. Hmm cant really do anything about cliques, but im hoping i'll be able to get a good balance of diversity of friends.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending