The Student Room Group

AQA- English Literature at AS Level, Literature B

Scroll to see replies

Original post by pennyy
My exam is in 10 days; I want to die.

Pretty pretty please can someone help me out with the Lotus Eaters and Tithonus? I'd be happy to help with anything in return... I'm studying Gatsby, Enduring Love, Auden and Tennyson :smile:

haha sameee! not looking forward to this exam AT ALL. what do you want help with in particular? e.g. form, structure, language, imagery, motifs, symbolisms etc..?
Reply 701
Original post by Confusedddd.
haha sameee! not looking forward to this exam AT ALL. what do you want help with in particular? e.g. form, structure, language, imagery, motifs, symbolisms etc..?

I know how you feel, this is my worst one :frown: Thank you so much for responding, basically everything really! my teacher left halfway through the year so we've been left in the lurch a little... also, if you have any notes for Ulysses that you'd be willing to share, that'd be fab, and I would love you forever:redface:! is there anything I can help you with in return?x
Reply 702
My teacher has always told our class to structure A a questions starting with either form or narrative perspective and go off from there to form your essay. She's also said to give a general overview of the section of the text you've been given to write about in the first paragraph to 'set' the foundations to the rest of your essay if that helps at all on how to structure your answer!? Unfortunately I'm not doing the same texts as you but I hope that the information I've passed on will aid you to a certain extent in the exam anyway. Sorry I couldn't be much more help and good luck!
Original post by lampshade1
Hey ! first, breathe, we can do this! :P

I can help with Rossetti, I'm typing up my notes this weekend :smile: and I'm not doing P&P but I LOVE IT! so any questions and I'll see if I can help :smile:
Form : is what it is, a poem or a novel and the significance of this
Structure: how it is set out, so stanzas in a poem...where events happen in the book

that is how I understand it anyway?

Actual Exam, learn what AOs are tested when
Section A (a) - Only A02 = Form Structure and Language
Section A (b) - AO1, AO3, AO4 = style, interpretations and context

Section B - AO1, A02, A03 = style, language form and structure and interpretations.
We could do some past questions on Rossetti if you like? I'm planning on doing that or Tennyson (my other poet) for Section A :smile:

I'm doing a past paper question of Section A (a) (How does Rossetti tell the story in Jessie Cameron?) and if that's on Form, Structure and Language does that mean I was wrong in writing that she uses metaphor, pathetic fallacy, symbolism and swaps the gender roles between the 2 characters in her poem to challenge the ideals of gender representations/stereotypes in the Victorian era ( just some of my PEE points and I wanted to include context):confused:
Best advice i can give is always start off with a big major technique and the most important is narrative voice!

PLAN PLAN PLAN PLAN PLAN

I did this exam in january and it is a horrible exam but i got an A, you just have to remember it isnt a free essay its supposed to be structured. always refer to the title in each paragraph at the start and at the end as well if possible!!
Reply 705
I'm abit confused, could someone help me please? My teacher is always saying make sure you analyse and evaluate your points. He says to P.E.E.D - point, evidence, explain, develop. Could someone give me an example of how to analyse/evaluate language, form or structure?
Reply 706
Original post by HMac94
I'm abit confused, could someone help me please? My teacher is always saying make sure you analyse and evaluate your points. He says to P.E.E.D - point, evidence, explain, develop. Could someone give me an example of how to analyse/evaluate language, form or structure?

okay... so I'm studying the Great Gatsby, so I'll give you an example from that?

In chapter 2, Fitzgerald employs alliteration (point) 'grotesque gardens' (evidence) in an attempt to phonetically enhance the ugliness of the Valley of Ashes (explain), thus highlighting the substantial contrast in the entities of wealth; perhaps this location is a physical representation of the corruption of the Roaring Twenties (develop)

hope this helps :smile:
Reply 707
Original post by pennyy
okay... so I'm studying the Great Gatsby, so I'll give you an example from that?

In chapter 2, Fitzgerald employs alliteration (point) 'grotesque gardens' (evidence) in an attempt to phonetically enhance the ugliness of the Valley of Ashes (explain), thus highlighting the substantial contrast in the entities of wealth; perhaps this location is a physical representation of the corruption of the Roaring Twenties (develop)

hope this helps :smile:

Thank you, this was really helpful. :smile:
Reply 708
Original post by HMac94
Thank you, this was really helpful. :smile:

aw, you're welcome :smile:
Reply 709
Hey, I did this exam last year and got 120/120. For Section A, I did the Great Gatsby. For Section B, I did Browning, Hardy and Enduring Love.
The best advice I can give is to always bear the assessment objectives in mind. For the AS exam, AO2 (analysis of language, form, structure) carries more marks than the other AOs. So, always think about narrative perspective, voice, syntax, authorial methods and devices, etc.
I've read that quite a few people tend to lose marks for AO3 as well. For this AO, consider different ways in which the argument in question may be interpreted, and evaluate the strengths and weaknesses of both sides. This can basically mean looking at how aspects of the text - such as language - can be taken to mean different things.
You can also answer AO3 and AO4 simultaneously by comparing the effect had on both modern and contemporary readers.
Coming to think of it, all of that is perhaps too complex for the AS exam (probs more for A2 - bore in mind the above methods for my A2 cwk and got 80/80).
But anyway, I have a copy of my exam paper if anyone would like to read it. Should explain what's required of you perhaps more articulately than the way I've explained it here. Feel free to message me if you want some help. :smile:
Hope I helped!
Oh god, I'm really worrying about this exam! I've got two days left, I feel like I know enduring love really well and I know Auden a little, but I think I'm going to struggle with Gatsby and Rosetti! We have hardly done anything on Rosetti at my college! Can someone please help me out! I really want to get an A because I am taking four AS's this year, and I want to go to Warwick to study physics, and I'm on for an A for both maths and physics so I should be alright but I need an A in english because I have Media :/ but I hate it, also critical thinking but that's a waste of time.
Original post by Braede
Hey, I did this exam last year and got 120/120. For Section A, I did the Great Gatsby. For Section B, I did Browning, Hardy and Enduring Love.
The best advice I can give is to always bear the assessment objectives in mind. For the AS exam, AO2 (analysis of language, form, structure) carries more marks than the other AOs. So, always think about narrative perspective, voice, syntax, authorial methods and devices, etc.
I've read that quite a few people tend to lose marks for AO3 as well. For this AO, consider different ways in which the argument in question may be interpreted, and evaluate the strengths and weaknesses of both sides. This can basically mean looking at how aspects of the text - such as language - can be taken to mean different things.
You can also answer AO3 and AO4 simultaneously by comparing the effect had on both modern and contemporary readers.
Coming to think of it, all of that is perhaps too complex for the AS exam (probs more for A2 - bore in mind the above methods for my A2 cwk and got 80/80).
But anyway, I have a copy of my exam paper if anyone would like to read it. Should explain what's required of you perhaps more articulately than the way I've explained it here. Feel free to message me if you want some help. :smile:
Hope I helped!

can i have a read of it please!!!!
Reply 712
Original post by Braede
Hope I helped!

ahhh, pretty please may I see your paper?!
Reply 713
wow, just returned to my panic thread from last year....I got a B in this exam in the end. But I have all typed up notes for Rossetti and Tennyson if anyone wants them. Plus might be able to dig up some Gatsby/Enduring Love ones..but can't promise that.

Good luck guys!
Reply 714
Original post by Shedrick94
Oh god, I'm really worrying about this exam! I've got two days left, I feel like I know enduring love really well and I know Auden a little, but I think I'm going to struggle with Gatsby and Rosetti! We have hardly done anything on Rosetti at my college! Can someone please help me out! I really want to get an A because I am taking four AS's this year, and I want to go to Warwick to study physics, and I'm on for an A for both maths and physics so I should be alright but I need an A in english because I have Media :/ but I hate it, also critical thinking but that's a waste of time.

I'll trade you Gatsby notes for Auden!
Reply 715
can i have a read of it please!!!!

Of course :smile:
Original post by pennyy
I'll trade you Gatsby notes for Auden!

Sure!!!!
Reply 717
Sure!!!!

okay! Anything you want to know in particular?
Reply 718
Original post by lampshade1
wow, just returned to my panic thread from last year....I got a B in this exam in the end. But I have all typed up notes for Rossetti and Tennyson if anyone wants them. Plus might be able to dig up some Gatsby/Enduring Love ones..but can't promise that.

Good luck guys!

please please do! I'm studying Tennyson, Gatsby and Enduring Love :smile:
Original post by pennyy
okay! Anything you want to know in particular?

Well, I'm hoping to be doing it for section B, so I really need to know about the harder things like narrative gaps and setting. Because I think if character names came up I'd be pretty safe.

Anything you would like to know I've got loads on auden!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending