The Student Room Group

AQA Business Studies BUSS1 - 14th May 2012!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 300
Original post by alexissocool
Correct, 115 was the break-even point :-)

Fixed costs stayed at £15000 remember they do not change with output.

It was £70 (the new variable cost) multiplied by 225 (the number of customers) whatever that gives, and then add it to the fixed costs to get total costs.

Excuse me if i dont remember correctly, but they didnt actually give you the fixed costs, so i added the difference to one point on the graph added to the total costs and got the same breakeven point some im assuming you can work it out that way too? :smile:
Reply 301
what was the answers to the added value and the budgeted profit
Original post by tillstock
Excuse me if i dont remember correctly, but they didnt actually give you the fixed costs, so i added the difference to one point on the graph added to the total costs and got the same breakeven point some im assuming you can work it out that way too? :smile:

Yeah they gave you fixed costs on the budgeted expenditure. Bare in mind fixed costs are the point at which costs start on the break-even chart it was £15,000.
It's still right what you did I believe but I know I got the correct answer too.

I did unit 1 last year without finishing the last essay and got a B, an A in unit 2 so I know what I'm doing :smile:
Reply 303
Does anyone remember how many marks were given for the first calculation questions and then the graph questions?
Original post by hillb001
Does anyone remember how many marks were given for the first calculation questions and then the graph questions?

20 marks in total for question one. First calculation was 3 marks and the second was 3 marks too.
For the break-even there was 6 marks broken down as 3,1,2.
Reply 305
did anyone else get £1125 added value, £18750 profit and the total costs line was shifted up by 4 and a half small boxes (£4500) ?
Reply 306
Original post by HeyyImRyan
I put that she may not be able to afford the repayments because the professionals she asked said that customers at first will be poor, and there will be increased competition. So she'd have poor and possibly negative cash flow initially and then may lose sales to rivals later on, so both could cause her to default on her loan payments.

My other reason was that they would only give her one year instead of two... which meant loan repayments would be much higher and could have a huge impact on her profits.

I put she doesnt need repayment the loan from her immediately, therefore she could improve have cash flow as a result, in addition she want be in a situation where she misses opportunities thus potentialaly increasing her sales.

Secondly, there arent any high interest rates involved so therefore he ZOE will have enough money to pay back suppliers on time and not loose out on potential sales
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 307
Original post by hatestudying
yeah missed out the 6 mark break even chart completely.. and the expenditure budget 6 mark one.. NEEDED MORE TIME!

omg i missed it out too :frown:
Reply 308
20 marks in total for question one. First calculation was 3 marks and the second was 3 marks too.
For the break-even there was 6 marks broken down as 3,1,2.

Can you remember the breakdown for the whole paper? Wanna work out what I got aha hoping for a B
Reply 309
Yeah they gave you fixed costs on the budgeted expenditure. Bare in mind fixed costs are the point at which costs start on the break-even chart it was £15,000.
It's still right what you did I believe but I know I got the correct answer too.

I did unit 1 last year without finishing the last essay and got a B, an A in unit 2 so I know what I'm doing :smile:

If your so sure its right 'alexisscool' then why are you doing it again this year.. baffling
For the break even question can anyone help me out.

Here is what I did.

I did 20 X 225 = £4500 then I just added this onto the graph and drew the diagonal line. (Just read some comment and some said it was wrong, how many marks you reckon I can get for this if its wrong? 2 or just 1?

Then the new break even point marked as "a" is obviously the new cross over point.

Then the last 2 marks, all I did was label the new Total cost and the gap of total revenue as bc or something...is this right?

Is this 5/6 then?
Original post by Zara 1111
If your so sure its right 'alexisscool' then why are you doing it again this year.. baffling

To boost my overall grade up to an A. Like I said I got a B on this paper last year without finishing the last essay. I got an A on unit 2 that you have next week. Good luck because unit 2 is harder. Wait till you get to A2 now that my friend will be baffling for you.
Original post by novadragon849
For the break even question can anyone help me out.

Here is what I did.

I did 20 X 225 = £4500 then I just added this onto the graph and drew the diagonal line. (Just read some comment and some said it was wrong, how many marks you reckon I can get for this if its wrong? 2 or just 1?

Then the new break even point marked as "a" is obviously the new cross over point.

Then the last 2 marks, all I did was label the new Total cost and the gap of total revenue as bc or something...is this right?

Is this 5/6 then?

None for the first one as it was 70 X 225. So 3/6

I'm not questioning you but is that even right?!? The fact I did 20X225 instead of 70X225 means losing 3 marks!! So all that adding it onto total cost etc and labelling it TC2 etc is not even worth one mark?

Some screwed up mark scheme this is....
Reply 314
To boost my overall grade up to an A. Like I said I got a B on this paper last year without finishing the last essay. I got an A on unit 2 that you have next week. Good luck because unit 2 is harder. Wait till you get to A2 now that my friend will be baffling for you.

Firstly, im NOT your friend
secondly whats baffling is your arrogance when you got a B last year.. nothing to proud of
ps: i sympathise with your issue of time management, possibly councilling may help?
So I haven't seen the paper and I haven't done it .
One of my friend texted me the question about Total Added Value and I believe it 25.
Since 2700 is the income they earned from 45 sales and 1575 is the cost of sales.
Therefore 2700-1575 should give u = 1125
dividing it by 45 to give u the actual total value added it would give u 25.
Again I haven't done this. I did my buss 1 in Jan. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Original post by novadragon849
I'm not questioning you but is that even right?!? The fact I did 20X225 instead of 70X225 means losing 3 marks!! So all that adding it onto total cost etc and labelling it TC2 etc is not even worth one mark?

Some screwed up mark scheme this is....

I understand what you mean but fundamentally the calculation was wrong. Variable costs rose from £50 to £70. You just took that as a £20 increase right and just multiplied that by 225?
But, to be honest variable costs were £70 not £20. I think that caught a lot of people out.
Examiners aren't that generous with marking, if it's wrong at the end of the day. although if the line was still horizontal as you say and above the previous total costs line then that could be a mark? :-)
I am just speculating here.
Original post by dan94adibi
So I haven't seen the paper and I haven't done it .
One of my friend texted me the question about Total Added Value and I believe it 25.
Since 2700 is the income they earned from 45 sales and 1575 is the cost of sales.
Therefore 2700-1575 should give u = 1125
dividing it by 45 to give u the actual total value added it would give u 25.
Again I haven't done this. I did my buss 1 in Jan. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Wrong; it should have just stayed £1125. Key to the question was "total" added value not "added value per party.

You seem so confident in yourself that you're forgetting that what she has done could be right too.

As long as she added it to the INITIAL VARIABLE COSTS, then the output figure would be exactly the same, and then the new line will be above it.
Get your head out of your bum and think logically - I did it your way but it definitely is not the only way to be doing things, and trying to be a douche on a thread where everyone is equal is not the way to go about things.
Original post by Zara 1111
Firstly, im NOT your friend
secondly whats baffling is your arrogance when you got a B last year.. nothing to proud of
ps: i sympathise with your issue of time management, possibly councilling may help?

Gosh someone really does get touchy. No it's fine; I finished the whole paper this time! :biggrin:
I think a B is something to be proud of, in fact you have contradicted yourself in reasoning by saying a B is nothing to be proud of. Isn't that a little be arrogant in itself? Please don't argue if what you say can be flawed.

Quick Reply