The Student Room Group

Ocr gcse latin a401/02 25 may 2012 unofficial mark scheme

1. Building (1) (new) walls (1)
2. Money (1) and wine (1)
b) He will guard (1) his sheep (1)
3. He did not give the gifts (1), which had been promised (1), to the gods (1)
4. To eat (1) the girls (1)
5. What he ought (1) to do (1)
6. C (1) - sacrifice his daughter to the snake, D (1) – loves his daughter
7. C (1)- He did not want to do this
8. He sent (1) very much (1) water onto (1) the ground of Troy (1)
9. At last the king gave in and left his daughter weeping near the sea. Hercules, braver than a lion, approached him and said, ‘if you will give me very beautiful horses, I promise that I will kill the vicious snake myself’. But, the girls having been saved, he never handed the horses over to Hercules. Hercules was so angry that he asked his friend (Name) for help. He persuaded him to return with him to Troy and destroy the city. (20)
10. He entered (1) (through) the gate (1) of the city (1).
11. Almost (1) all of his (1) sons (1)
12. Hercules (1) ought (1) to be given (1) the horses (1)
13. Many years (1)
b) He saw Troy having been crushed by the Greeks (1) and destroyed by fire (1)
14. He was brave (killed the snake) (1), he was violent (destroyed Troy out of anger) (1), he was kind to his friend (gave him a wife) (1) etc.
15. Marine- to do with the sea (2)
Primarily – firstly (2)
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
6 he sacrificed his daughter TO the snake, he didn't sacrifice the snake.
9 ablative absolute after the girls had been saved
Reply 2
Original post by hines
6 he sacrificed his daughter TO the snake, he didn't sacrifice the snake.
9 ablative absolute after the girls had been saved

6 is correct. 9 is in the ablative absolute, just been translated differently.
(edited 11 years ago)
No!! I lost a mark because I didn't know what "secum" meant! Now I'm kicking myself! It's "with him".
There goes my 100%
Reply 4
undemanding test guys.

for 'braver than a lion' would i get anything for 'with a more brave lion' because i initially thought that there was no 'quam' ?
Reply 5
the snake was in the dative.... To the snake. Hercules saved his daughter from sacrifice... He didn't save a snake. Otherwise the king would be giving Hercules gifts to save the snake..

Also question 9 girls should be girl.
Reply 6
Original post by ocelot92
undemanding test guys.

for 'braver than a lion' would i get anything for 'with a more brave lion' because i initially thought that there was no 'quam' ?

You spotted the comparative but I guess it'd count as one major error
Reply 7
I found the test easy but am aware of several mistakes that I made which :[ I believe that 'beautiful horses' is actually 'very beautiful horses' just so you know, question 6 may also be wrong. Thanks for this though, it's very helpfull.
Reply 8
Original post by hines
the snake was in the dative.... To the snake. Hercules saved his daughter from sacrifice... He didn't save a snake. Otherwise the king would be giving Hercules gifts to save the snake..

Also question 9 girls should be girl.

Um it don't know whether I agree with you. It was something like this:

The gods suggested that he, who loved his daughter, called name, as greatly as possible, to sacrifice the snake."Anguem" is accusative.
Reply 9
Literally: The gods advised the king to his daughter, named Hermione, who he loved very greatly, to the snake to sacrifice (subj.)

Ie the gods persuaded the king to sacrifice his daughter, called Hermione, who he loved very greatly, to the snake.

If they'd sacrificed the snake then, then why would Hercules be saving the daughter if the snake was dead... In fact why would the daughter be by the sea, after her father had left her, if she wasn't being sacrificed.
Reply 10
It was definitely angui which is dative
So.... What does secum mean...?
Reply 12
Original post by StudiesAreBoring
So.... What does secum mean...?

with him :smile:
Original post by aeon28
with him :smile:

Argh i didnt know what that word meant... So i said secured....ahahaha:colondollar::colondollar:
Reply 14
if i put 'horse' instead of 'horses' in the translation and question 12, would that count as a minor error?

also does anyone know what the grade boundaries will be for this paper?
Original post by metaltron
Um it don't know whether I agree with you. It was something like this:

The gods suggested that he, who loved his daughter, called name, as greatly as possible, to sacrifice the snake."Anguem" is accusative.

dude.....the snake isn't being sacrificed....the girl is, it even fits the context of the story...It's just common sense my teacher just confirmed it aswell
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by metaltron
1. Building (1) (new) walls (1)
2. Money (1) and wine (1)
b) He will guard (1) his sheep (1)
3. He did not give the gifts (1), which had been promised (1), to the gods (1)
4. To eat (1) the girls (1)
5. What he ought (1) to do (1)
6. B (1) - sacrifice the snake, D (1) – loves his daughter
7. C (1)- He did not want to do this
8. He sent (1) very much (1) water onto (1) the ground of Troy (1)
9. At last the king gave in and left his daughter weeping near the sea. Hercules, braver than a lion, approached him and said, ‘if you will give me beautiful horses, I promise that I will kill the vicious snake myself’. But, the girls having been saved, he never handed the horses over to Hercules. Hercules was so angry that he asked his friend (Name) for help. He persuaded him to return with him to Troy and destroy the city. (20)
10. He entered (1) through the gate (1) of the city (1).11. Almost (1) all of his (1) sons (1)
12. Hercules (1) ought (1) to be given (1) the horses (1)
13. Many years (1)
b) He saw Troy having been crushed by the Greeks (1) and destroyed by fire (1)
14. He was brave (killed the snake) (1), he was violent (destroyed Troy out of anger) (1), he was kind to his friend (gave him a wife) (1) etc.
15. Marine- to do with the sea (2)
Primarily – firstly (2)

Thanks a lot for your help, I just want to post some corrections as I do not want people to be misled. Don't hate, I checked with my teacher in this who has seen the paper. 6 was to sacrifice the GIRL (that's why he was crying). In 9, the bits I have put bold should be corrected as thus( with consultation from my teacher):

-'give me beautiful horses' should be changed to very beautiful horses
-'I promise that I will kill the vicious snake myself’' is wrong because that was an indirect statement in disguise in which it should be 'I promise that I will kill the vicious/savage snake'
-'the girls having been saved' should be 'after the girl was saved/when the girl had been saved/with the girl having been saved'

Also in 10, 'He entered (1) through the gate (1) of the city (1).' It was only 2 marks and there was on word for through so it was just: 'he entered the gate of the city' :smile:
The rest is correct, just wanted to point this out to stop people being mis led :smile: Could you please change yours to match this to stop confusions for newcomers and thumbs up so people can see this guys :smile:?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 17
I had totally forgotten what secum and saevum meant, and mistranslated portam as harbor. I think I got 54-55 out of 60 based on that mark scheme, is that an A* ?
Reply 18
I found this okay.. But I messed up the what he ought to do part. I feel like an idiot as everyone here seems to be geniuses hahaha

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 19
Original post by Graceyfave
I found this okay.. But I messed up the what he ought to do part. I feel like an idiot as everyone here seems to be geniuses hahaha

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

I bet you've done really well, don't worry about it! We all need to concentrate on doing well in the next paper now!!! What school does everybody go to by the way? :smile:

Quick Reply