The Student Room Group

How would Britain be today without 'Multiculturalism'? Look at Poland-Ukraine

Scroll to see replies

Original post by prog2djent
Japan, S>Korea.

Compared to the UK they are both quite xenophobic cultures, especially S Korea.
Original post by prog2djent
Let's look at some other advanced homogenous nations OP.

Most of scandanavia, Japan, S>Korea.

Your argument is junk.

Comparing Poland and the Ukraine to the UK and those nations just doesn't work.

They might be advanced but it doesn't mean they are not racist...

----
oh I see others have already picked you up on this. Just goes to show
(edited 11 years ago)
The OP is a racist. Pure and simple.
Reply 23
Their are racists in every country in the world. But i think there's more chance of the minority becoming racist in a homogeneous country than one where people mix daily and understand each other's religion and culture. Poland isn't a racist country but there is clearly a very vocal minority who aim to tarnish the reputation of their own country.
I doubt this would happen if we hadn't set up immigrant communities in London instead of encouraging foreigners to integrate.
Reply 25
Original post by I Kant Spall
Were black players harassed at the '02 World Cup in two other racially homogeneous countries, Korea and Japan? These are two prosperous countries with high standards of living and, on the topic of football, decent national teams as well.

I'll answer that for you: no, they were not. It was the most well-organized World Cup in my lifetime. Saying that an absence of multiculturalism is the reason why racist chants or the threat of racist violence is expected this tournament is insulting to the countries who don't wholeheartedly embrace multiculturalism but still managed to host a respectful sporting atmosphere.

Political/societal issues like multiculturalism and immigration have no relevance to a football tournament, and it's upsetting to those who just want to watch the beautiful game to have to hear this constant drivel from the media.

You are forgeting politics did have a role to play in that world cup. There were some obvious match fixing going on, with korea benefiting.
Reply 26
I think you mean a multi-racial society not a multi-cultural one. I do agree that both societies would be very similar though in terms of the white working class if it wasn't for that immigration from the 2nd world war onwards.
think about much less crime britain had before it went all 'multicultural'

poland compared to britain is almost crime free. i think britain needs to become more like poland.
Reply 28
I am a Ukrainian, and my whole family are currently ashamed to call ourselves Ukrainian. It is disgusting that the Racism in Ukraine has reached such levels, and rather then boosting its economy using tourism and the world cup, they are very quickly destroying it. I'm ashamed, and am very glad that Britain is multicultural and accepting of most ethnicities.

People can go into a historical discussion about its past in the USSR ( my mother has told me stories about her life in the USSR and its Racism ) but I don't believe it has any relevance to todays racism. Today's Ukrainain people are no longer constrained by Stalin and his rule, they have their own freedom to choose what is right and wrong and not fear for their lives, yet it is sad that there is still nations out there that even with this freedom, still do not know what is right and wrong.
Original post by Mariarghh
I am a Ukrainian, and my whole family are currently ashamed to call ourselves Ukrainian. It is disgusting that the Racism in Ukraine has reached such levels, and rather then boosting its economy using tourism and the world cup, they are very quickly destroying it. I'm ashamed, and am very glad that Britain is multicultural and accepting of most ethnicities.

People can go into a historical discussion about its past in the USSR ( my mother has told me stories about her life in the USSR and its Racism ) but I don't believe it has any relevance to todays racism. Today's Ukrainain people are no longer constrained by Stalin and his rule, they have their own freedom to choose what is right and wrong and not fear for their lives, yet it is sad that there is still nations out there that even with this freedom, still do not know what is right and wrong.

Please. Do not Fall for the anti polish/ racism in this thread. The BBC programme about your country has been exposed as a lie.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2025901

Just because a few racists exist it does not mean you should be ashamed of ukraine. The Ukrainian people are the victims of this racist bbc propaganda. You are a victim of racism because you have been made to feel guilty for something you have not done.

You shoud be thankful Ukraine is not multiracial. Britain has extremely high crime rates because of some ethnic minority groups.
(edited 11 years ago)
The world cup in Qatar will be just as bad, if not worse.

Hopefully Euro 2012 will have such a bad reputation that FIFA think twice about where to host tournaments in future.
Original post by pokemontah!

You shoud be thankful Ukraine is not multiracial. Britain has extremely high crime rates because of some ethnic minority groups.

Britain does not have "extremely high crime rates." Try visiting S. Africa or Somalia some time, then see how our crime rates compare.
We need to increase the number of non whites in this country. Its simple.

Currently we are at 12% (predicted) for the 2011 census. IMO this is NOWHERE NEAR enough for a proper multiracial country, so I suggest we encourage immigration still until we become a truely coffee coloured society.

Look at America, becoming more mixed race, we need to compete with these guys in terms of diversity.

Is Britain too white?? You damn right it is but we will change that in time hopefully. :smile:
Reply 33
One thing that can be said for Euro 2012 is it's focusing attention on these racist attitudes and getting people to confront this problem. I agree that it is a minority of Ukrainian/Polish fans displaying these abhorrent attitudes so it's good that other countries and ordinary Poles/Ukrainians now have the chance to say, clearly, that it is not acceptable.
Reply 34
Original post by meenu89
Don't forget Poland and Ukraine (as part of the USSR) were stuck behind an 'Iron Curtain'. I don't think comparisons can be made.

Poland wasn't part of the USSR, revise history please.
Reply 35
Original post by Ivanka
Poland wasn't part of the USSR, revise history please.

Did I say it was?
I know it wasn't hence why included the explanation about Ukraine in brackets. Everyone else knew what I meant.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by kingsholmmad
Britain does not have "extremely high crime rates." Try visiting S. Africa or Somalia some time, then see how our crime rates compare.

and who lives in those countries exactly??

and yes, britain has extremely high levels of crime. just because they are not at the levels of those countries it doe snot mean the levels are therefore acceptable.
Reply 37
Either way having a country with only one race is a bad thing. I find it really sad that we can't all agree to be tolerant of eachother

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by pokemontah!
and who lives in those countries exactly??

and yes, britain has extremely high levels of crime. just because they are not at the levels of those countries it doe snot mean the levels are therefore acceptable.

Well, I'm gonna take a rough stab in the dark here and suggest South Africans and Somalis live in those countries. You no doubt have an entirely balanced and valid reason why they shouldn't have the same rights to law and justice that we have?

"Extremely high" is a comparative not an absolute. Compared to the rest of Western Europe our rates don't look brilliant; compared to the rest of the world we are doing better than most. That means that not only are our crime rates not "extremely high", they are, if anything, below average on a global scale. Prove me wrong.
Reply 39
Original post by meenu89
Did I say it was?
I know it wasn't hence why included the explanation about Ukraine in brackets. Everyone else knew what I meant.

OK, I apologise, I thought that Poland was included there as well.

Quick Reply