The Student Room Group

I can't afford open days

I'm wanting to go to a few open days but I just can't afford the train/coach tickets. My parents work so can't take me. I don't live around many uni's im interested in and some of the train tickets cost more than £100. Is there anyway I can get some funding for this?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
sometimes you can get travel expenses from the universities i think you would need to see their admission offices
megabus.com is very cheap just the bus times aren't great. I went to London from Coventry by getting a lift of a mate who was also going to that university.
Original post by Miryo
I'm wanting to go to a few open days but I just can't afford the train/coach tickets. My parents work so can't take me. I don't live around many uni's im interested in and some of the train tickets cost more than £100. Is there anyway I can get some funding for this?

Email the universities that you are really interested into and tell them of your situation.

They should be able to give you better advice than we probably could. :smile: Goodluck! x
Original post by Miryo

Yeah, I think you should be able to get travel expenses, ask the administration office and why don't you just ask your parents for some money? Or borrow it from them and promise to pay them back?
Reply 5
Alternatively, dont go. You can find lots of opinions and information about the course youre doing, the area, the accommodation ect all online. Hit youtube if you want to see some stuff to.

I never attended any open days.
Reply 6
I visited unis that my friends were looking at, so I could ride with them.
If you're 6ft 8, well muscled, and prepared to hang around dodgy bus shelters from 2am, go for Megabus (£10 from Glasgow to London!). Otherwise;

1. National Express coaches are more reasonable than the train.
2. The train operators don't have to give you the cheapest combination - sometimes sorting your own changeovers makes it a lot cheaper.
3. Some websites organise carshares if you're feeling brave.
4. Lifts from friends.
5. Contact the unis for help.

Some of these will work :smile:
Open days aren't that important so don't think you're doomed if you miss them.
Reply 9
Coaches will be much cheaper. Many uni. such as Exeter offers Travel Subsidy, all you need to do is to fill in a claim form. Also think about the distance, if you found it expensive just to get there once, you will need to travel btn your uni. and home at least 4 times a year (excluding the induction day).
I completely changed my mind about the university I wanted to go to as a result of going to open days so personally I would highly recommend going to them. I visited all four that I applied to and I could only really see myself at 2 of them. If I hadn't visited any of them then I guess I'd be going to the one with the highest offer that I really hated at the open day lol

Would it not be possible for your parents to use holiday/lieu days or something so that they could take you? My mum and stepdad both took time out of their schedules to take me. If not you could maybe buddy up with a friend who is interested in going to see the same uni? If money would still be an issue you could work during these summer months and save up some money?
Despite what they may say, universities really do have money to burn. I'm sure if you gave them a call they would be able to sort you out with expenses, but if not:

Book well in advance. Compared to booking tickets on the day, booking a month or two in advance can cut the price in half (or more).

Buy a railcard. It saves a third off your rail fares and only costs £28.

Buy rail tickets in person. Because of the complicated ticket system, sometimes the operator can pull a trick that saves you money. Yesterday I had to take the train to Newcastle and hadn't booked my tickets in advance. The national rail website told me a return would be £108 but by booking tickets for a station past Newcastle, the operator got me a return for £57. I have no idea how this worked.

Travel by coach. Like others have said, Megabus is amazing for cheap travel.
Reply 12
Original post by Octohedral
If you're 6ft 8, well muscled, and prepared to hang around dodgy bus shelters from 2am, go for Megabus (£10 from Glasgow to London!). Otherwise;

Hello.
Original post by Miryo

You don't need to go. I haven't even been to a single open day yet. I don't see the point in going unless you have your results.
Reply 14
Have you got a Universities adviser at your sixth form / college? If you have it may be worth a chat with them, see if your school can help you out a bit.
Reply 15
Original post by randomguy786
You don't need to go. I haven't even been to a single open day yet. I don't see the point in going unless you have your results.

Oh no. please you must go to at least one or two, you will be spending more than £30k and 3 years at the uni. Even you can have a virtual tour, will you buy something cost £30k from internet without seeing the actual product.
Original post by poony
Oh no. please you must go to at least one or two, you will be spending more than £30k and 3 years at the uni. Even you can have a virtual tour, will you buy something cost £30k from internet without seeing the actual product.

I'm spending over 45k as it's a 5 year course. I don't really see the point, it's my firm choice and I'm going there no matter what. I'll be there for the next 5 years so what's the point in going to an open day?
Reply 17
Original post by randomguy786
I'm spending over 45k as it's a 5 year course. I don't really see the point, it's my firm choice and I'm going there no matter what. I'll be there for the next 5 years so what's the point in going to an open day?

What if you get there and hate the uni and the town it's in, or the accomodation sucks?
Reply 18
Your school may be able to help with funds, or by putting you in contact with someone else who is going so you can share costs.

Or some unis will help. They may not be able to directly give funds, but may be willing to provide accommodation so you can stay over and thus get a cheaper ticket the day before - if you're leaving early in the morning it's likely to be peak time.

Also, get a railcard. You save money on fares and after a few it will pay for itself in savings. If your journeys are really over £100 you could even save the cost of the railcard in one trip! And keep an eye out because there may be discount codes for them anyway.
Get a 16-25 student rail card, it slashes the price by a third. If you want a free one open a student account with NatWest, it's worth it .Ticket prices are also extra ordinarily cheaper if you book them well in advance.

Quick Reply

Latest