The Student Room Group

Best Train Station To Go To Manchester Academy

Im off to a gig in August at Manchester Academy and not too sure which is the best train station to arrive at. :s-smilie:

Thanks!
Reply 1
Picadilly is the closet (I think)
It's the one we took when we went to the university
Reply 2
Original post by YB101
Picadilly is the closet (I think)
It's the one we took when we went to the university

Is that walking distance?
Reply 3
Oxford road is closest, but piccadilly is a lot bigger, nicer and it's easier to get on a bus. If you go to piccadilly, get on the 142, 143, 42, 43, 41, 111 or there's a couple of others that I can't remember that go straight past it.

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-I9100
Reply 4
Original post by Devel
Is that walking distance?

Yeah it's walking distance. Maybe not "stumbling" distance for the way back. What gig are you going to btw? :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by oddsox
Oxford road is closest, but piccadilly is a lot bigger, nicer and it's easier to get on a bus. If you go to piccadilly, get on the 142, 143, 42, 43, 41, 111 or there's a couple of others that I can't remember that go straight past it.

Cool, hopefully ill get there early enough to not have to bother with a bus.

Original post by YB101
Yeah it's walking distance. Maybe not "stumbling" distance for the way back. What gig are you going to btw? :smile:

Ah good, ill get there early and have a walk down. I assume it wont be too difficult to find.

Im off to see Refused.

:woo:

Thanks everyone.
I usually go via Oxford Rd cause you come out the station, go down the steps then walk straight down oxford road and you'll find the academy on your right after ten/fifteen mins. No turns so I can't get lost/confused xD
Reply 7
Original post by catestevenson
I usually go via Oxford Rd cause you come out the station, go down the steps then walk straight down oxford road and you'll find the academy on your right after ten/fifteen mins. No turns so I can't get lost/confused xD

Yeah, I probably will go to the one easiest to walk from. Are all the Academy (1,2,3) venues together?
Reply 8
Original post by Devel
Yeah, I probably will go to the one easiest to walk from. Are all the Academy (1,2,3) venues together?

Academy 1 is next to the students union, 2 and 3 are in the basement of the union.

Reply 9
Original post by oddsox
Academy 1 is next to the students union, 2 and 3 are in the basement of the union.

I assume this is Academy 1?

Spoiler

Reply 10
Original post by Devel
I assume this is Academy 1?

Yep :smile:

Reply 11
Original post by oddsox

It's just as easy to get on a bus outside Oxford Road Station as it is from Piccadilly - in fact, easier as the bus stop is right outside OxRd, whereas you have to walk from Piccadilly (unless you get the 147..).

Do NOT get on the 111 as it turns down Moss Lane East and then you'll get lost.

The easiest and nearest is as mentioned, Oxford Road as it's then a straight line and impossible to get lost. Piccadilly is further away but bigger and busier - it depends where you're coming from. If your train goes through Ox Road, brilliant. If it only goes to Picc or Vic, then go to those and you can travel along from there..
Reply 12
Original post by bella127
It's just as easy to get on a bus outside Oxford Road Station as it is from Piccadilly - in fact, easier as the bus stop is right outside OxRd, whereas you have to walk from Piccadilly (unless you get the 147..).

I dunno, during the busy times, especially 7/8 in the evening I always find myself standing on the bus, and might be waiting a while to get one if I get the train to Oxford Road, but there's always a bus loading at piccadilly gardens.

Original post by bella127
Do NOT get on the 111 as it turns down Moss Lane East and then you'll get lost.

But moss lane east is the other side of the union, it's right down near the hospitals near the curry mile?
Btw have you been in the union these last couple of weeks? They've finished doing it up and it's really nice :smile:
I'm going to a Manchester academy 2 gig and I would like to know witch train to get on also would I have to get a cab/taxi to the Manchester academy 😳

Quick Reply