The Student Room Group

Is Bath better in Civil engineering than university of Manchester ??

I'm considering about which is better to confirm, I've got offers from both.:confused:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Do you like the big city life and a campus spread all over or a smaller city with everything-on-one-place campus? That's the decision you need to make. Both are good places when it comes to academics.
Reply 2
Manchester > Bath
Reply 3
Original post by ahpadt
Do you like the big city life and a campus spread all over or a smaller city with everything-on-one-place campus? That's the decision you need to make. Both are good places when it comes to academics.

I'm talking about the civil engineering course, everybody around me say Manchester is better
Reply 4
Original post by dj1015
Manchester > Bath

Is manchester much much better than Bath or just a little ?
Reply 5
Original post by Cloud1992ZZF
Is manchester much much better than Bath or just a little ?

Unless someone's studied the same course at both universities it's hard to say. They're both good universities with good reputations and links with industry. I don't think going to one over the other would make a difference. What you should do is decide based on course content, study abroad/placement year in industry option, which campus you prefer, which city you prefer, which entry requirements are more realistic.
Original post by dj1015
Manchester > Bath

Actually for civil engineering Bath is ranked 7th, Manc is ranked 18th.

Overall Bath is ranked 10th, Manc is ranked 29th. Says it all really.
Manchester has always had a stron reputation in Engineering and Bath is equally a strong university. Manchester ranks higher on the world rankings because of it's research output i.e. being a larger civic university with extensive graduate studies departments and engaging in more research. But that isn't necessarily an accurate indicator/criteria for undergraduate study.

Personally as I'm from Manchester and having visited Bath, I prefer Manchester as a city although Bath has some of the best sports facilities in the country.
Reply 8
Original post by Foghorn Leghorn

You make your decisions based on league tables, as opposed real world experiences.

But if you do want to play league tables with me, how about this. Manchester 48th, Bath 251st.

Says it all really.

http://www.timeshighereducation.co.uk/world-university-rankings/2011-2012/top-400.html
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by dj1015
You make your decisions based on league tables, as opposed real world experiences.

But if you do want to play league tables with me, how about this. Manchester 48th, Bath 251st.

Says it all really.

http://www.timeshighereducation.co.uk/world-university-rankings/2011-2012/top-400.html

On world ranking stage, due to the size of mancs research facilities. However most of the home ranking tables rank bath higher than manc, some quite considerably.
Original post by Cloud1992ZZF
I'm considering about which is better to confirm, I've got offers from both.:confused:

Bath is brilliant for engineering - one of the best around. Manchester is great too but from what I hear, Bath is better (but it is a smaller university in a smaller city) and so you need to consider which you'd prefer to live in etc.)

From one of your posts it sounds like you'd prefer to go to Bath so do it! :smile:
Reply 11
On world ranking stage, due to the size of mancs research facilities. However most of the home ranking tables rank bath higher than manc, some quite considerably.

Has nowt to do with size. It's quality and recognition. Also how many noble winners has Bath got?

National rankings have no impact when it comes to a profession like civil, as all courses are accredited and therefore more or less the same.

Further to that anyone who wants a genuine student experience should come to Manchester, and not a tiny spec of a town like Bath.
Original post by dj1015
Has nowt to do with size. It's quality and recognition. Also how many noble winners has Bath got?

National rankings have no impact when it comes to a profession like civil, as all courses are accredited and therefore more or less the same.

Further to that anyone who wants a genuine student experience should come to Manchester, and not a tiny spec of a town like Bath.

Genuine student experience? That is subjective. You could argue a campus uni life is more of a student experience than a city one and vice versa. I actually have no problem with manc, I just don't think you can just claim manc is greater than bath based on student life, when the rankings say otherwise.
Reply 13

says nothing really.

Op, Seems a bit late in the day but what you should really do is go to open days and have a look at the facilities for yourself, and ffs when you start your degree don't leave everything to the last minute or you'll knacker your grades however clever you are.
Reply 14
Genuine student experience? That is subjective. You could argue a campus uni life is more of a student experience than a city one and vice versa. I actually have no problem with manc, I just don't think you can just claim manc is greater than bath based on student life, when the rankings say otherwise.

your faith in rankings is strong. How much better do you think bath is than manchester? Twice as good? Three times?
Reply 15

Anyone who cares about rankings is just someone who is upset that they didn't get into Oxbridge.

Also, population of Bath 83000, Manchester 2200000. So it stands that there is simply more to do in Manchester and therefore a better student experiences to be had.

Also Manchester is the biggest university in the UK, so it cant get everything right.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Joinedup
your faith in rankings is strong. How much better do you think bath is than manchester? Twice as good? Three times?

Well the person i quoted simply said "Manchester > Bath" so I thought I'd balance the argument a bit. Or are you saying people shouldn't have their opinions challenged?
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by dj1015
Anyone who cares about rankings is just someone who is upset that they didn't get into Oxbridge.

Also, population of Bath 83000, Manchester 2200000. So it stands that there is simply more to do in Manchester and therefore a better student experiences to be had.

Also Manchester is the biggest university in the UK, so it cant get everything right.

Shame they can't run an airport properly.
Reply 18
Shame they can't run an airport properly.

Well with that unworthy comeback this discussion is over. But I will leave you with this thought.

Does Bath even have an international airport?
Original post by dj1015
Well with that unworthy comeback this discussion is over. But I will leave you with this thought.

Does Bath even have an international airport?

No, but it is the only UNESCO world heritage city in the UK.

Quick Reply