The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Does anyone know how the grade boundaries are going to be?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 2
Original post by R-Radeon

Anyone got any predictions as to what will come up (in the higher papers) ?

Pretty much the same topics that were on the June papers

Original post by tajith

Does anyone know how the grade boundaries are going to be?

Nobody does, they are not set until after the papers are marked. I'm expecting the paper to be a bit more challenging and the boundaries to be slightly lower than summer - but that is just a complete guess.
Reply 3
the grade boundaries vary depending on how the students perform. If we all do amazing then they go up. But A* is always around 83%
Reply 4
Ok... Thanks....

Hope the papers will be easy...... :smile:

Reply 5
what topics are more likely to appear on the non calculator
Original post by salea019
what topics are more likely to appear on the non calculator

Topics you don't need a calculator for i.e. NOT trial and improvement or trigonometry etc.
Hi guys,

Just wanted to know that will there be questions that are the same in linear and modular?? Because im doing modular and just wanted to know that will both papers have the same questions?? obviously not all the same questions but some??
Reply 8
Original post by khalidpatel
Hi guys,

Just wanted to know that will there be questions that are the same in linear and modular?? Because im doing modular and just wanted to know that will both papers have the same questions?? obviously not all the same questions but some??

No, in the past they did share some questions especially the old Unit 3 papers with the old linear papers. Some modular and linear papers were scheduled to take place at the same time so it didn't matter that there was overlap. Now it's possible to take linear and modular exams with the same examiner in the same exam season and there are no common questions.
Reply 9
Are the grade boundaries lower
Original post by salea019
Are the grade boundaries lower

Lower than what?

Actually don't bother replying - the answer is no.
My teacher said that the topics that normally tend to come up on the non calculator paper are:

Long Multiplication
Fractions (in some way)
Probability (whether that would be tree diagrams or simple probability - I don't know.)
Simultaneous Equations
Graphs
Linear equations
Factorising Linear and Quadratic
Expanding Linear and Quadratic
Simplifying
Solving simultaneous using graphs.
Algebra manipulation
Circle Theorems

Calculator:

Pythagoras
Trigonomentry
Trial and improvement
Quadratic Equation
Drawing Quadratic Graphs
Finding the value of x when y=0
Standard Form
Index Notation
Exchange Rate
Angles
Averages
Total Surface Area/Volume
3D Coordinates (Maybe)
Curves
Vectors (Can come up on either paper or even BOTH)

That's all the topics that my teacher told me that will most probably come up.

Reply 12
Hey guys,

I'm also taking this Maths exam too. I really really want an A*. Any predictions as to what may come up? Also, what the grade boundaries are? How hard do you think the exam will be?
(I'd greatly appreciate it if you guys could send a list of topics which are likely to come up). Thank you, and good luck to you all. Hope you all succeed! :smile:
Reply 13
Also, how are you guys revising for Maths at the moment? (Answering questions from textbook, or just going through past papers) ?
Once again, good luck!
Reply 14
The one I sat in june was harsh marking and a harder test then the previous year, 52/200 for c 90/200 for ab 128/200 for an A and 168/200+ for A* I believe, I think they will be lower this time but the paper may be a little harder.
Reply 15
Hopefully, it's not that hard. I really want to do well! Last year's November 2011 paper was very unpredictable towards the end
Reply 16
:smile:
Reply 17
Hi, I am doing this exam 1 year early and need some advice on revision as the non-calculator is next tuesday. Please HELP!
I sat my early entry in the summer and got a B, does anyone have any advice as for what to revise to get 20 marks more? I mainly fell down on the latter half of each paper.
http://www.edexcel.com/migrationdocuments/GCSE2010/UG029981_GCSE_MathsA_Spec_2012.pdf

this is the spec for the 2012 paper
(tells you what you need to and dont need to know)