The Student Room Group

Stripping off in the gym changing room and showers

Hey all,

I've recently joined virgin active and noticed ALOT of guys do not strip naked in the gym when changing, most guys wear shorts while showering especially asian lads and get changed in the toilets/showers.

Personally, myself i dont going nude while changing and in the showers but i feel a bit odd going all nude while other guys are wearing shorts etc

What is it like at your gym - Has everyone gone conscious about how they look or isnt it considered the norm to 'let it all hangout' in the changing room any more?

Scroll to see replies

why dont you just go to the gym already changed and shower at home thats what i do anyway lol
why dont you just go to the gym already changed and shower at home thats what i do anyway lol
If ur a tad insecure about ur willy mate i wouldnt bother but i know a few lads includin myself that have done it and continue to do so. Not so much after gym but whenever i go out on exercises with Royal Marines they're are no private showering facilities so u get used to it after a while.
Reply 4
i'm a girl, but where i go we all get changed in the open changing rooms (a few use the cubicles...)
Reply 5
Hi. Thanks for the replies above.

I am not insecure but i just thought how it is a bit strange how not many people 'bare all' and strip everything off while geting changed and even while showering at my gym.

Like i say, I am not bothered what people think of me going nude while changing and showering. I am not wearing shorts while i change.

I like to have a shower at the gym after my work out and sometimes even before if i am going in the morning.
At the Gym I use I have never seen anyone showering in shorts or anything.

Plus getting changed in the toilets in my gym your going to need another shower after that.:smile:

If you ask me its a bit strange but I suppose it kills two birds with one stone they ain't going to need to wash there shorts when they get home.
Reply 7
I think it might be a culture thing aswel with asian boys wearing shorts while showering. My gym is just a few miles away from Birmingham town centre.
Reply 8
What's the point in keeping shorts on while you shower? You're only going to need another shower later on. Seriously, nobody is going to judge you based on your penis! If you're really bothered, use a cubicle and shower when you get home.
If you've noticed an Asian majority doing it, then its more than likely because in Islam its forbidden to show your private parts to others.
I used to work out for about an hour and then come down into the changing rooms literally dripping with sweat. However, I just took my dirty clothes off and got dressed as fast as I could and then left. I probably stank but I guess that's better than having someone see you naked. :s-smilie:
Reply 11
Yeah, a bit strange, at my gym everyone is naked in the showers. I however do what a previous poster mentioned and go there fully changed and shower at home.
Reply 12
Frio3535
If ur a tad insecure about ur willy mate i wouldnt bother but i know a few lads includin myself that have done it and continue to do so. Not so much after gym but whenever i go out on exercises with Royal Marines they're are no private showering facilities so u get used to it after a while.

Have you considered the possibility that he's simply modest?

I brook no insecurity myself, but that doesn't mean I can't be respectful of others'.
Reply 13
My gym is only 10minutes from my house, so i went already changed, and showered at home,
I just found that easier than doing it there
P.S. To the OP, can I ask how much your Virgin Active membership cost, and what type of membership you have?

I am thinking of joining their Uxbridge gym, but as is typical with these companies, they never put their prices online because they know it would put people off. :rolleyes:
Reply 15
have no quibs with stripping down, but always seems to be an even mix at whatever gym i goto. tho im gonna cycle when i get back to uni, so will be kinda pointless showering there...
Maybe it's a culture thing? Who knows?!

Girls showers tend to have curtains or cubicles so can't really comment. Or I shower at home.
I usually change/shower naked...after doing it once it's wasnt an issue
The gym I go to is at Uni so I go wearing my gym clothes and the showers are in cubicles so just strip off in there.
i go to public school so have been naked in front of my mates from the age of 7, just grew up that way, however i'm also asian and a muslim, none of which to my knowledge prevent me from showing my willy in the showers, especially when in camp as the guy who's in the marines says, no privacy, i don't really understand what your question is Lu? like i said the way we do things differs greatly to the way you or someone else might so who cares, we've all got a penises and if you want to show it so be it, if not who cares? i don't really understand your obsession with the asian lads keeping shorts on, doesn't really affect anyone around them does it? so leave it be.

Latest