The Student Room Group

Indian Friends Group III

Scroll to see replies

Amandeep_Psych07
Lol, Aww :hugs: Lassi...bleurgh! Except for mango lassi or mango milkshake or mango kulfi. :love: Mangos are divine! :coma:

Haha! That would never work with my mother. She would throw a hissy fit if I started to do things that annoyed her. The more I'd annoy her, the more noise she'd make. My mother always makes herself out to be the victim in everything, so if she was doing things that annoyed me that wouldn't matter, but I was annoying her, I'd be the worst child on the planet.

Thanks anyway Sharayans. :hugs:

I bet she watches loads of Saas bahu programs :eek:

Mangoes are nice, but I get them too often here. Don't like them as much as before, and mango kulfi is eww. Milkshake is not bad :biggrin:

No probs yaar :hugs:
The Sherminator
I bet she watches loads of Saas bahu programs :eek:

Mangoes are nice, but I get them too often here. Don't like them as much as before, and mango kulfi is eww. Milkshake is not bad :biggrin:

No probs yaar :hugs:

Haha! :rofl: She used to, not so much anymore...but I don't think the mentality has ever left her. Even though, she's spent more of her life in England, than India...she still thinks like a backwards old Indian woman. I don't blame her really, I mean it's all she's ever known and all she's ever taught to be but sometimes I just want to shake her and say, get with the times! It really frustrates me at how out of touch she is. My brother gets away with murder and she still thinks that he would never put a foot wrong. Like I can tell from the minute he walks in the door that he's been up to no good (he's a really bad liar) but she just pretends that he's been playing on the swings in the park with his friends, talking about maths revision! She needs to wake up and smell the coffee!

Yesterday, she said that she bumped into one of her old work friends and this woman said that she was looking for a girl for her son and that because he's a vegetarian and I am too, we'd be the perfect match. This dude is also quite religious and he's been sort of baptised into Sikhism (the Amrit thingy, if you know what I mean). What on earth makes her think that I would ever be with someone like that! I haven't been to the temple in years! No doubt, he's looking for a girl to cook his dinner and wash his clothes! Argh, do I look like some sort of naive Indian girl who's going to be oppressed for the rest of her life!! :mad: Sorry, but that just made me so mad. And then she was saying, that if he can hold out for 2 years, once I've finished my degree we can sort out the wedding! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: God, if she likes him so much, why doesn't she marry him.

Sorry, just need to get that off my chest. I'll shut up now.
Amandeep_Psych07
Haha! :rofl: She used to, not so much anymore...but I don't think the mentality has ever left her. Even though, she's spent more of her life in England, than India...she still thinks like a backwards old Indian woman. I don't blame her really, I mean it's all she's ever known and all she's ever taught to be but sometimes I just want to shake her and say, get with the times! It really frustrates me at how out of touch she is. My brother gets away with murder and she still thinks that he would never put a foot wrong. Like I can tell from the minute he walks in the door that he's been up to no good (he's a really bad liar) but she just pretends that he's been playing on the swings in the park with his friends, talking about maths revision! She needs to wake up and smell the coffee!

Yesterday, she said that she bumped into one of her old work friends and this woman said that she was looking for a girl for her son and that because he's a vegetarian and I am too, we'd be the perfect match. This dude is also quite religious and he's been sort of baptised into Sikhism (the Amrit thingy, if you know what I mean). What on earth makes her think that I would ever be with someone like that! I haven't been to the temple in years! No doubt, he's looking for a girl to cook his dinner and wash his clothes! Argh, do I look like some sort of naive Indian girl who's going to be oppressed for the rest of her life!! :mad: Sorry, but that just made me so mad. And then she was saying, that if he can hold out for 2 years, once I've finished my degree we can sort out the wedding! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: God, if she likes him so much, why doesn't she marry him.

Awwww ;console;

That is so funny, yet sad at the same time. I feel for you when your mom acts like that... How old is your brother? And I hope you are joking about murder right? lol...

Rant as much as you want here.... its better than LawYah's lame attempts at innuendos.
Amandeep_Psych07

I know how you feel :hugs:
What's worse is that I get that and I'm younger than you!
Though, to be fair, I've never let my mum wander into that territory...she knows that if I meet the guy and don't get on with him, that's it...move on.
:hugs: :hugs: :hugs:
sugar_cane
Though, to be fair, I've never let my mum wander into that territory...she knows that if I meet the guy and don't get on with him, that's it...move on.

You've already had to meet guys?
The Sherminator
You've already had to meet guys?

God hell no...just a hypothetical situtation.
sugar_cane
God hell no...just a hypothetical situtation.

:rofl:
Okay, I thought the process was speeding up in London :p:
The Sherminator
Awwww ;console;

That is so funny, yet sad at the same time. I feel for you when your mom acts like that... How old is your brother? And I hope you are joking about murder right? lol...

Rant as much as you want here.... its better than LawYah's lame attempts at innuendos.

:rofl: I'm glad someone else thought it! Don't forget his incessant pursuits of trying it on with every single (or not single) girl that walks through here!

Aww we love you really Sukh. Not. :ninja:

Yeah, I guess it is funny. I should just really ignore it, or learn to laugh it off, but she's just so dead serious about sometimes.

Lol, yeah not murder in the literal sense!

My brother is 16, and he's not as bad as some kids but he's at that age where he's going to try new things and test his limits but there's nobody to guide him or steer him in the right direction and when I try to intervene, my mum completely undermines me and he doesn't listen. She doesn't pay enough attention to what is going on his life, so lots of things just slide under the carpet. She doesn't seem to understand that this time builds the foundations for how he learns to cope or deal with stressful situations later in life, so it's so important to be there for him. I don't think she's ever understand a concept like that.

Thanks for listening. :hugs:

sugar_cane

Aww thanks honey. :hugs: Do you parents try and match you with intelligent, sophisticated and well presented guys?
That's good that you don't let your mum come into the picture. My mum would be constantly questioning me if I rejected a guy that she approved of and I didn't! Argh, I don't even want a friggin' arranged marriage! I don't believe in them, but if I told her that she would have none of it!
Amandeep_Psych07
:rofl: I'm glad someone else thought it! Don't forget his incessant pursuits of trying it on with every single (or not single) girl that walks through here!

Aww we love you really Sukh. Not. :ninja:

He even tries it on guys. But I have the integrity to fight past it. Otherwise my mind would have gone to mush.

Amandeep_Psych07

Yeah, I guess it is funny. I should just really ignore it, or learn to laugh it off, but she's just so dead serious about sometimes.

Lol, yeah not murder in the literal sense!

My brother is 16, and he's not as bad as some kids but he's at that age where he's going to try new things and test his limits but there's nobody to guide him or steer him in the right direction and when I try to intervene, my mum completely undermines me and he doesn't listen. She doesn't pay enough attention to what is going on his life, so lots of things just slide under the carpet. She doesn't seem to understand that this time builds the foundations for how he learns to cope or deal with stressful situations later in life, so it's so important to be there for him. I don't think she's ever understand a concept like that.

Thanks for listening. :hugs:

Yeah, I understand. My mother dealt with it by not letting me go out :p: Hahaha, but now its all okay. The fear was that drugs, drinks, cigs, girls would come into life. And I guess its fair play....

Listening is fun, esp on internet, its easier then in real life I guess :redface: :p:
Not that I don't listen in reality :ninja:

Easiest thing is to find a nice punjabi munda at your uni :wink:
Amandeep_Psych07
Aww thanks honey. :hugs: Do you parents try and match you with intelligent, sophisticated and well presented guys?
That's good that you don't let your mum come into the picture. My mum would be constantly questioning me if I rejected a guy that she approved of and I didn't! Argh, I don't even want a friggin' arranged marriage! I don't believe in them, but if I told her that she would have none of it!

Haha, my parents haven't even properly tried to suggest someone in the fear that I'd rip them to pieces! :rofl:

A sort of mututal agreement between my mum and I...if I give her a valid reason as to why I don't like the guy, they except it and move on.

To be honest, I'm not really opposed to arranged marriages because if they want to suggest someone that I may get on well with, then go for it, I don't mind. I'm in no way obliged to marry anyone so I guess it's fine :smile:

:hugs:
sugar_cane
Haha, my parents haven't even properly tried to suggest someone in the fear that I'd rip them to pieces! :rofl:

A sort of mututal agreement between my mum and I...if I give her a valid reason as to why I don't like the guy, they except it and move on.

To be honest, I'm not really opposed to arranged marriages because if they want to suggest someone that I may get on well with, then go for it, I don't mind. I'm in no way obliged to marry anyone so I guees it's fine :smile:

The Grammar fairy made a mistake :eek3:
Please go and correct it :cool:
Bah, minor typing error :p:
sugar_cane
Bah, minor typing error :p:

Unbearable dear, unbearable.
The Sherminator
He even tries it on guys. But I have the integrity to fight past it. Otherwise my mind would have gone to mush.

:rofl: :rofl: Sukh's a horny little devil. I wonder if his ears are burning! :ninja:

Yeah, I understand. My mother dealt with it by not letting me go out :p: Hahaha, but now its all okay. The fear was that drugs, drinks, cigs, girls would come into life. And I guess its fair play....

Listening is fun, esp on internet, its easier then in real life I guess :redface: :p:
Not that I don't listen in reality :ninja:

Easiest thing is to find a nice punjabi munda at your uni :wink:

Hehehe! That's a good way of dealing with it! Lol! Yeah, I know what you mean, it is fair and I guess you appreciate her protecting you from harm.

Lol, yeah I know what you mean. There's nobody really I feel I can blurt this out to in "real" life. I bet you're a fantastic listener. :hugs:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: A nice Punjabi munda?! Now what's one of them? I'm eloping to vegas and marrying a white boy with blue hair. :biggrin:

sugar_cane

To be honest, I'm not really opposed to arranged marriages because if they want to suggest someone that I may get on well with, then go for it, I don't mind. I'm in no way obliged to marry anyone so I guess it's fine :smile:

:rofl: Good on you! That's really good of your parents to be understanding like that.

Yeah, I know what you mean but it's just not the same. Even though there may be no obligation to marry, there's always that inevitable "so do I want to marry you or not?". I much prefer old fashion courtship and romance. :p:
Reply 2234
Amandeep_Psych07

hahahaha it's the same with us (and I guess most desi families!) My brother is always the exception :p:

wow, poor you :s-smilie: But don't you think it's a little unfair to assume that he's gonna be like that? For all you know, he could be the cutest , coolest religious boy in town :wink: hehe!

For further information read Born Confused :smile: :love: Karshh :love:

The Sherminator

He's not the only guy to do that on the IFG. Is he, is he, is he, is he Shrayans? :p:
jet'aime

He's not the only guy to do that on the IFG. Is he, is he, is he, is he Shrayans? :p:

:ninja:

I have no idea what you are on about.
jet'aime
hahahaha it's the same with us (and I guess most desi families!) My brother is always the exception :p:

wow, poor you :s-smilie: But don't you think it's a little unfair to assume that he's gonna be like that? For all you know, he could be the cutest , coolest religious boy in town :wink: hehe!

For further information read Born Confused :smile: :love: Karshh :love:

Lol, yeah it is! I guess because it's just so blatantly obvious that when my brother is up to no good, she kind of chooses to ignore it. I dunno...our family issues will never change, it's been going on like this since forever. It's up to me to make sure, my own family life doesn't become like this.

:laugh: He could be! I know, it is unfair but going from the general track record, more often than not they usually are! Plus, I think he's grown up in a typically Asian area so I guess he would expect some degree of subservience.

Lol, Ooo sounds interesting, I might do! This one? I love all the British/American-Asian literature! Have you read Londonstani? That's ace! Oh and The Pocket Guide to being an Indian Girl. Both very good!

Hope you're good honey? :hugs:
Reply 2237
Amandeep_Psych07
Lol, yeah it is! I guess because it's just so blatantly obvious that when my brother is up to no good, she kind of chooses to ignore it. I dunno...our family issues will never change, it's been going on like this since forever. It's up to me to make sure, my own family life doesn't become like this.

:laugh: He could be! I know, it is unfair but going from the general track record, more often than not they usually are! Plus, I think he's grown up in a typically Asian area so I guess he would expect some degree of subservience.

Lol, Ooo sounds interesting, I might do! This one? I love all the British/American-Asian literature! Have you read Londonstani? That's ace! Oh and The Pocket Guide to being an Indian Girl. Both very good!

Hope you're good honey? :hugs:

Yep! That's the one - it's one of my favourite books! :biggrin: I haven't read 'the pocket guide' but will def. do so over summer!

I'm stressing and procrastinating :s-smilie: But luckily, only 3 more days 'til my proper (i.e. the ones that count :biggrin:) exams finish! :party:

The Sherminator
;no;

LawYah you like immature huh? :hubba:

^^ there you go shrayans :p:
jet'aime
Yep! That's the one - it's one of my favourite books! :biggrin: I haven't read 'the pocket guide' but will def. do so over summer!

I'm stressing and procrastinating :s-smilie: But luckily, only 3 more days 'til my proper (i.e. the ones that count :biggrin:) exams finish! :party:

^^ there you go shrayans :p:

I have too many more proper exams to come, lol.

That wasn't me!! That was my evil twin who came on my TSR account. :ninja:

Btw, you guys have heard Russel Peters right? Well today in school we were listening to some and it was hilarious. He was making fun of the British. Its too rude to put on here, esp as only the ladies are here right now. Ahh, I so want to watch that guy live, he is bloody hilarious.
jet'aime

Ooo yeah, deffo do! It's a good 'un!

;console; Aww, well 3 days isn't long at all! Yeah and we'll party with you like its 1999! :biggrin:

;dancejf; *gets her dancing shoes ready*

Good luck :hugs:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending