The Student Room Group

Missed period, can I go to the NHS walk in centre?

My period was due about a week ago now and it still hasn't arrived. I've done two pregnancy tests, 3 days apart and both were negative. It says on the packaging that if I still haven't had my period I should go to the doctors.

Think is I'm at uni and not registered with the local doctors. Can I go to the NHS walk in centre about this?

Thanks.

P.S. I have looked it up on the website and it says 'women's problems e.g. thrush, menstrual problems. Now, this is a menstrual problem but I assumed I would get another pregnancy test at the doctors just to make sure that pregnancy can be ruled out and pregnancy test isn't on the list.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Jeez, its only been a week...
Em_maK
Jeez, its only been a week...

I was a week late for my period and did a pregnancy test. It came back positive.

OP: your best going to a drop in centre to get checked over just to be on the safe side. Although by stressing so much it can delay any periods, so try to stay calm.

Good luck.
Reply 3
I wasn't planning on going now or anything. But could do with knowing whether if it doesn't come I need to go the doctors because I can only go when I'll be home in the week. It won't be for a few weeks yet (and I may end up not needing to go at all) If I can go the walk in centre obviously I can just go if/when I need to.
Reply 4
I strongly advise Brook. They're a free, anonymous sexual health service for people up to the age of 25. They can supply you with the coil, a pregnancy test, the morning after pill, the regular pills, condoms, etc, as well as information and reassurance. Google them, see if there's one near you!
Reply 5
Dream_Catcher
I was a week late for my period and did a pregnancy test. It came back positive.

OP: your best going to a drop in centre to get checked over just to be on the safe side. Although by stressing so much it can delay any periods, so try to stay calm.

Good luck.

I've been trying not to stress as I know it can delay it. But then I stress over whether it's stress delaying it or pregnancy!

I'll go into the drop in centre when I find out where it is and can get down there. :yep: I'm a little reassured that both tests were negative but I know this doesn't mean I am definately not.
Yes you should be fine going to the local drop in centre as your studying around that area.

Be prepared to be waiting a while as there's always a huge queue.

x
Reply 7
kat2pult
I strongly advise Brook. They're a free, anonymous sexual health service for people up to the age of 25. They can supply you with the coil, a pregnancy test, the morning after pill, the regular pills, condoms, etc, as well as information and reassurance. Google them, see if there's one near you!

Thank you for this. I have googled it and there is one near me. Not too far from where I live either which is useful :smile:

Are the pregnancy tests they give blood tests or from a urine sample?
Reply 8
Anonymous
Thank you for this. I have googled it and there is one near me. Not too far from where I live either which is useful :smile:

Are the pregnancy tests they give blood tests or from a urine sample?

It's a urine sample.

Another plus is that they're quick, and 'signing up' takes about 5 mins. They're friendly and don't judge at all.

Good luck :smile: you should be fine!
Reply 9
Hopefully, I never noticed the condom had split or anything. So what do I do when I get there? Do I tell the receptionist why I am there or just basically say I'm here and wait to see someone?

Thank you v. much for helping!
Reply 10
Anonymous
Hopefully, I never noticed the condom had split or anything. So what do I do when I get there? Do I tell the receptionist why I am there or just basically say I'm here and wait to see someone?

Thank you v. much for helping!

You say whatever you like really. 'I was wondering if I could ask a few confidential questions...'. Whoever is available will then get you to write down your details, like name and address etc (which they won't contact unless you ask them to). They'll then give you a female consultant who has her own small room. You may have to wait about 5 mins tops in a waiting room before this.

As for the receptionists though, they're not stuck up women. They're laid back, friendly, slightly hippy-ish, but very helpful. No need to feel embarrassed. Bringing your partner may help, though, for mutal peace of mind.
Reply 11
:s-smilie:

I once completely missed one, didn't go to the GP about it. Happens to most people at least once. Late periods are so common, why do people seem to think that their bodies should be exactly like clockwork?
Reply 12
If you're at uni you should register with a doctor there - I'm sure the uni have ones they recommend, or even a student practice like we have. Even if you don't use it for this time, you should really do it anyway.
Reply 13
Lois_Lane

I once completely missed one, didn't go to the GP about it. Happens to most people at least once. Late periods are so common, why do people seem to think that their bodies should be exactly like clockwork?

Because if your body has been like clockwork for the last however many years, then a week late is abnormal and should be checked out.
Reply 14
Well I'm off to the Brook Advisory Centre and my boyfriend's going to get the train here and come with me :smile:

I haven't registered with a doctors because I am at home for more of the year than I am at uni. If I register with a doctor here then I have no doctor at home? Which is where I spent the majority of my time. Maybe I'll pop into the doctors and look about registering though.
Reply 15
I'm definately not like clockwork though :nah:. It used to be round about the 12th and kept getting earlier and earlier for the last few months (so it was ~ the 1st of the month). Stayed like that for a few months up til now where I haven't had one (yet).
Reply 16
Anonymous
Well I'm off to the Brook Advisory Centre and my boyfriend's going to get the train here and come with me :smile:

I haven't registered with a doctors because I am at home for more of the year than I am at uni. If I register with a doctor here then I have no doctor at home? Which is where I spent the majority of my time. Maybe I'll pop into the doctors and look about registering though.

You'll still be able to see a doctor at home...they just sign you in as a guest/visiting patient or something, I can't remember what they call it. It just makes it a bit easier if you need to see a doctor whilst at uni if you can't make it home.
GET A GRIP OP! Don't go the doctors for a missed period, i'd only go if i missed two periods...especially with a negative pregnancy test!! Periods aren't always 'spot on' with the dates and they're so sensitive, if you are worried about something like this and having sex..maybe you shouldn't as you obviously don't understand the ins and outs of the female reproductive system!!
Reply 18
Anonymous
I'm definately not like clockwork though :nah:. It used to be round about the 12th and kept getting earlier and earlier for the last few months (so it was ~ the 1st of the month). Stayed like that for a few months up til now where I haven't had one (yet).

Then why are you going to a doctor? If you were regular I could understand it, but our bodies really are sensitive. I'd give it a few weeks and see what happens.
Reply 19
Fleece
Then why are you going to a doctor? If you were regular I could understand it, but our bodies really are sensitive. I'd give it a few weeks and see what happens.

As I said earlier I AM giving it a few weeks, if/when I've missed it as opposed to it being late. I was asking about this because IF I end up needing to go and I have to go to the doctors instead of somewhere like Brook/NHS walk in I'd have to go home which wouldn't be for a few weeks anyway.

anna_spanner89
GET A GRIP OP! Don't go the doctors for a missed period, i'd only go if i missed two periods...especially with a negative pregnancy test!! Periods aren't always 'spot on' with the dates and they're so sensitive, if you are worried about something like this and having sex..maybe you shouldn't as you obviously don't understand the ins and outs of the female reproductive system!!

GET A GRIP ANNA_SPANNER! If you bothered to read my other posts I said 'I wasn't planning on going now or anything. But could do with knowing whether if it doesn't come I need to go the doctors because I can only go when I'll be home in the week.'

I've been having sex for a while now and this is the only time I've been vaguely concerned about this. You don't know me so don't assume you are in a position to say whether I know the ins and outs of the female reproductive system. You can't know as much as you seem to think you do because otherwise you would know that a negative test so early on does not mean I am not pregnant. It takes time for the hormones to show in urine.

I am well aware that my period not having come now does not mean I must be pregnant. As I said the instructions on the pregnancy test said that if my period still has not come within a week a should go to the doctors to see if there was an underlying reason for this. I stated that the condom did not break or have a hole in and I didn't exactly say 'OMG I'm pregnant!!!!!!!!!11111'.

I really don't think this thread needs any more contributions. Thank you to those who gave useful advice. I am waiting a few weeks which will be around the time my next period is due. If I still haven't had it I'll pop into the Brook centre. It's good to know I won't have to arrange to go home for the day and book a doctor's appointment.

Latest