The Student Room Group

Feel like there is no purpose to my life..

I am 17 and still at school. I have a place at university next year. I have a few good friends and quite a lot of friends and aquaintances. I am attractive (don't mean to sound big headed) and I have a nice family.
Despite all this, I'm never really happy, I just feel like I am existing not really going anywhere. I feel like the only thing worth doing is proving myself to other people and the way I can think of to do this is facebook/bebo but I don't have one as I get annoyed if I have no comments.
I know how stupid it is. I wish I could have something else that I cared about more, a boyfriend, proper hobbies/interests? All I seem to worry about is social status.

I really want to get out of this, I don't want to be so shallow. I want to feel happy and fulfilled. Has anybody ever felt like this? What did you do?

And please don't say 'your so shallow', 'get over yourself', I know how sad I am for thinking this way.
Reply 1
anyone?
I understand how you feel, I think everyone goes through stages of having more than other people but still not be satisfied
Don't feel a pressure to be happy, just because you have all those things you listed there isn't a rule to state those should make you okay, its just a plus that you do have a family and friends etc.

How long have you been feeling like this?
Reply 3
meh...i would just tell you to man up and deal with it (yes i know your a woman). Its what my dad always said... works for me

just proves that women are more emotional than men
Reply 4
tayalouise
I understand how you feel, I think everyone goes through stages of having more than other people but still not be satisfied
Don't feel a pressure to be happy, just because you have all those things you listed there isn't a rule to state those should make you okay, its just a plus that you do have a family and friends etc.

How long have you been feeling like this?

For a long time, maybe about a year or something but more so recently. I think silly things will make me happy e.g. new clothes, going out etc but there fun at the time, then after I just feel nothing :/
Reply 5
OP,I think it's normal, we all feel 'empty' at times. Basically, you're looking for something different, maybe something more long lasting? I know it's typical to say but, maybe try volunteering?
Anonymous
For a long time, maybe about a year or something but more so recently. I think silly things will make me happy e.g. new clothes, going out etc but there fun at the time, then after I just feel nothing :/

It sounds like you've got into a bit of a rut that you have been in so long that you can't get out. New clothes and things are a quick fix but like you said don't last long.
Give yourself something to look forward to or work towards. Once you're at University your life will be completely different - new people, new oppurtunities and its a great time to have a fresh start because there are so many great things that will come your way. I know its like 7 months away, but you have to remind yourself that these months at the moment are difficult for everyone, and lets face it, pretty damn boring. The work is piling up, there is nothing to do and everything has been this way for a long time. No wonder you're feeling worse now

Try and take it easy and don't be too hard on yourself for feeling like this, I am almost certain that once things start changing and happening it will pass
Reply 7
Modern Life is Rubbish!
Reply 8
To me it just seems like you're thinking too hard. You just need to let yourself go for a bit.
There isn't a purpose. Don't worry about it.
Reply 10
MustGetA's
meh...i would just tell you to man up and deal with it (yes i know your a woman). Its what my dad always said... works for me

just proves that women are more emotional than men

lol but true
Reply 11
yosrush
To me it just seems like you're thinking too hard. You just need to let yourself go for a bit.

I think I am but I don't know how to stop!
Reply 12
I used to get bad cases of depression, try hiding it from people, feeling suicidal and wondering what the hell the point of life is.. My thoughts were that were all going to die eventually, what is the point in doing well in college and achieving something.

Everybody gets down sometimes and being a girl I know sometimes I get a bit upset and just want to cry with these god damn hormones all over the place lol

An old teacher of mine once said, "being a teenager was the worst time of my life" and that's always stuck as she described how great life was once all the studying was out of the way.

I've been with my boyfriend for a long time now and he makes life 'worth it' really. He's helped a lot and been there to love me and to hold me tight if I ever felt down which is always good.

I found little things used to pick up my mood when I was trying to get better though, such as just smiling at people walking through the street.. or I dont know, dressing up nice wearing heels and walking high (making yourself feel more confident). Maybe make a plan of where you want to be in the future?

Also, lately .. I've really thrown myself into studying and doing really well in my course and I feel happy with myself because I am achieving something and I'll be able to do the course I want and have that nice home I've always dreamed about..

Ooo also, being spontaneous always picked up my mood. I just decided to just go to Paris the other day (just got back woop!), and Alton Towers for a couple of days last year. It's nice to have a small break with some friends sometimes.
Reply 13
Ask yourself what you want from life, there isn't much purpose to life in general so you have to set your own aims, do what you personally enjoy.

Have some fun now, when you're young is the best time to. Fun is all life should be about, why bother with anything if you can't enjoy it? Don't worry about being shallow either, focus on what's important to you, that's all that should matter, your life is after all, your own.
Why do you need purpose? you're putting too much importance on the purpose you dont have...

Just do what you want to do and enjoy yourself.
shamrock92
There isn't a purpose. Don't worry about it.

There is a purpose, most people are just too weak willed and caught up in cynicism (as is the fashion these days) to actually put their hearts into finding their purpose.
Those who dont bother are giving up and taking the easy way out :tongue:
I suggest patience, thought and living your life in a way that pleases you, dont listen to all this ''have fun it doesnt matter'' BS as it obviously does matter to you, Finding purpose is hard, truly knowing yourself and and your place in this life takes time, you are 17 and have plenty of time to find whatever it is you are looking for.