The Student Room Group

keyboard shortcut to zoom in on word for mac?

Hi,

Finally bought and installed a copy of MS Office:Mac and started getting to work with it straight away. However, being on an iMac the resolution is so damn huge, I need to zoom in. I found that using the windows shortcut (ctrl + mouse-scroll) zooms the whole mac screen and not just the application.

It's getting really frustrating to move my mouse up to the top of the document every now and then and zoom in/out using the dropdown menu. Is there are keyboard shortcut that will achieve what I could do on my Windows PC?

Cheers :smile:
Reply 1
purplefrog
(...)

Hi - I had the same problem and finally found a solution.

Unfortunately, it does not involve using the mouse as in Windows but to use keyboard shortcuts (which is still better than clicking in the zoom %age field and type a value or select a pre-determined one).

There is no pre-defined shortcut within Office 2008 so you need to define one in each application.

1. Say within Word 2008, go to Tools --> Customize Keyboard...
2. Select the category 'View' on the left
3. In the 'commands' list, look for ViewZoomIn. Select it.
4. Place your cursor in the textbox next to 'Press new keyboard shortcut.
5. Press a combination of keys (i.e. your chosen shortcut. I chose Command+Option+.)
6. Make sure in the 'Current keys' box that you are not overwriting something important)
7. If you're happy with the shortcut, click on 'Assign'
8. Repeat the same operation for ViewZoomOut. I chose Command+Option+,)

You can do this for any other menu item. Select OK when finished.
Don't worry about overwriting existing system shortcuts, you can also choose a 'reset all' on this screen.
You will need to repeat the same process within Excel, Powerpoint, etc ...

Hope this helps
Reply 2
purplefrog

Hi,

Finally bought and installed a copy of MS Office:Mac and started getting to work with it straight away. However, being on an iMac the resolution is so damn huge, I need to zoom in. I found that using the windows shortcut (ctrl + mouse-scroll) zooms the whole mac screen and not just the application.

It's getting really frustrating to move my mouse up to the top of the document every now and then and zoom in/out using the dropdown menu. Is there are keyboard shortcut that will achieve what I could do on my Windows PC?

Cheers

Yep, the above solution should work in Microsoft Word.

In Pages, the keyboard command to zoom in is Shift-Command-Full Stop.
Reply 3
sbaudot
Hi - I had the same problem and finally found a solution.

Unfortunately, it does not involve using the mouse as in Windows but to use keyboard shortcuts (which is still better than clicking in the zoom %age field and type a value or select a pre-determined one).

There is no pre-defined shortcut within Office 2008 so you need to define one in each application.

1. Say within Word 2008, go to Tools --> Customize Keyboard...
2. Select the category 'View' on the left
3. In the 'commands' list, look for ViewZoomIn. Select it.
4. Place your cursor in the textbox next to 'Press new keyboard shortcut.
5. Press a combination of keys (i.e. your chosen shortcut. I chose Command+Option+.)
6. Make sure in the 'Current keys' box that you are not overwriting something important)
7. If you're happy with the shortcut, click on 'Assign'
8. Repeat the same operation for ViewZoomOut. I chose Command+Option+,)

You can do this for any other menu item. Select OK when finished.
Don't worry about overwriting existing system shortcuts, you can also choose a 'reset all' on this screen.
You will need to repeat the same process within Excel, Powerpoint, etc ...

Hope this helps

Cheers man! Looks like this is your first post on TSR. Welcome abord!

You'll be getting a +ve rep from me soon.
Reply 4
simple, built-in shortcut to do this:

hold ctrl + cmd, scroll up or down.

i know it's not a keyboard shortcut, but it's similar to what you're used to in windows!

had this issue myself and finally found the simple solution. :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending